PDA

View Full Version : Hospice care for pets

IRescue452
03-28-2005, 10:37 AM
http://www.specialneedspets.org/hospice.htm
I personally think it is selfish, some sites show how to make recipes for animals who can't swllow good anymore and how to care for a dog that needs to be carried around because it can't walk anymore. I think its cruel to keep the animal alve till it rots to death. How much quality of life can an animal have if it can't walk and it needs meds to keep it out of constant pain? People need to learn how to deal with loss. Soon we will be cloning all of or pets so we never have to "lose" them. Its sick.

PJ's Mom
03-28-2005, 10:54 AM
I didn't even know they offered hospice care for pets. :eek:

Why would someone want this for their beloved pet? Maybe it's for the people who just can't let go, but I agree with you. I see it as a very sad and selfish option. :(

sirrahbed
03-28-2005, 01:23 PM
I had never heard of any such thing before:eek: But, I would not be remotely interested because when my cats appear in pain and the vet tells me they are terminal - I watch carefully have had several PTS. The last of my "geriatric ward" died in his sleep two years ago - of kidney failure that I chose not to have treated as it might only extend his life by a matter of weeks or months. I opted out:( So, a hospice for pets would not be within my reality. Mine are PTS while in my arms or go peacefully in their sleep....at home.

UH-OH!! This is the Dog House :eek: I am outta here....

moosmom
03-28-2005, 08:13 PM
I think it's selfish to try and keep a pet alive if it's in pain. Unless the care would totally change a pet's quality of life and return it to one that is vibrant, alive and not hurting, I say no way!

Orca
03-28-2005, 08:40 PM
I agree, some people just need to let go...they need to factor in the quality of life. Making the decision to put my rabbit down was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but I know how much pain she was in.