PDA

View Full Version : Wobble!

ladywizz
03-28-2005, 10:16 AM
:) Well, first of all, I am new to this site and would like to take this opportunity to say hi to you all.
I saw this rescue icon so thought I would tell you about our cat...quite aptly named Wobble!
I got him from the Cat Protection League last easter day. He wasnt the first cat we looked at but he was certainly the one who needed a home badly.
When we saw him, he was huddled in a corner, obese to the point I cannot describe, and only had 3 legs. His eyes were dull, as was his coat.
We took him home and he immediately settled in, although I am almost certain that this is because he had no choice, not being able to hardly move! He was only 3 years old!!
We took him to the vets the following day to sort out a diet plan for him and it also turns out that his leg had only been amputated 6 months prior to us rehoming him which I was not told by the CPL!
He weighed a massive 65kg and had a heart murmour because of his weight.
We put him on 1 table spoon of minced cooked chicken twice a day and within only a week, he had started to loose the weight and actually began to play.
After alot of hard dieting he reached his goal of 50kg!
He suffered a hell of alot during this winter with back problems which the vet seems to think was a result of his amputee, and he also developed a very bad respiritory cold which took him a very long time to recover from.
About a fortnight ago, he started to pee all over the place, excessive drinking, lack of appitite, dramatic loss of weight and very lethargic. We took him to the vet who did a blood test which then told us he was extremely Diabetic. His blood sugar should be 8 and his was 28.7:confused:
His glucose levels were also extremely high.
They gave him a hills veterinary science diet food for diabetics which he wont entertain at all so he has to go on insulin. He is in tomorrow (tuesday 29th march) for his glucose curve to figure out the amount and how often the insulin should be given.
I am just so pleased that we did rehome him and he didnt have to stay in that horrid place where they didnt even consider him to be over weight.

bunnyloveruk
03-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi ladywizz and welcome to pet talk. Hope you have lots of fun on here like me and everyone else. And also welcome to Wobble, bless him. Sounds like he was in a terrible state when you gave him a new home and i can't believe they didn't think him overweight! Anyway, i'm sure you will give him the love and attention he needs to become a happy, healthy kitty. Keep us updated on his condition and once again, welcome to pt.