PDA

View Full Version : What would you do/how would you handle...

Cataholic
03-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Okay, some of you may know that my home is now occupied by a two legger :D Jonah is 6 3/4 months old, turning one year on 9-7.

We live on a small lot with dogs on both sides of us. Our yards are all fenced in. The dog on one side is Emerson. Emmie is very friendly. Very. But, of course, I would still be cautious with Jonah and Emerson. I wouldn't be overly concerned if Jonah went up to that side of the fence, however.

The issue is with the other neighbor, who has a small terrier mix and 'Cujo' the golden. Never met such a golden before. She is 8 years old, fully intact, and lunges at me as I walk to the backyard. Our gates are at the same place, and this dog comes over the fence at me. She has bitten me once. She is fine with me inside the house, or, if I throw the ball to her fifty million times. But, after 5 years, I would not pet her in the backyard.

I want to approach the neighbor about Cujo (actually, her name is Shiloh) and Jonah. Lest anyone say, "well, you should be watching your child at all times"...I intend to. But, if I want Jonah to play in MY backyard, on the patio, and I want to hang laundry, or plant in the garden, I don't want to worry that a toddler is going to wander five feet to one side and risk injury.

I just don't know how to say it. What do you think?

(and, I have talked until I am blue in the face the importance of spaying their pets....neither of them are spayed. Monte came from them, and he was 6 months old...not nuetered :rolleyes: )

Barbara
03-28-2005, 09:19 AM
I can understand how worried you are and don't have a recipe. Of course you will watch Jonah all the time (unfortunately you need to that anyway these days) but I strictly believe taht kids need the chance to also play un-watched (maybe not this year though - but he will grow).

I only can hope that your neighbor understands your concern. If not, the only thing that could help would be a higher fence. Good luck.

lizbud
03-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Well I wouldn't count on your neighbor suddenly coming to
his senses after all this time. I would install a high privacy fence
along that side of the yard. I would never count on the good
will of another where a child is concerned.

slleipnir
03-28-2005, 09:36 AM
My mom has dogs next door to her too. 2 one one side, and one on the other. All of them are super nice except the one of the Golden mixes. She has biten my moms roommate and barks all the time at you. The owner even lets the dog off leash!! It ran up to me once and I thought it was going to attack.

My mom has my nieces and nephew over a lot. (2,7 and 11) it is a consern that the dog will bite one of them. My mom went over and talked to the lady and said she will not talerate the dog coming near her grandchildren, and she would call the Humane Society if she wasn't more careful with her dog. I guess it worked though cause I don't see the dog running around anymore...

Hope you figure something out...

Cataholic
03-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Ugh. I just don't see a polite way for this to be addressed. I thought maybe I would ask, "whose fence is this? And, do you mind if I put up a privacy fence?" They would ask why, and I would explain. Sad thing is, it will look t-a-c-k-y. I did think about making a 'dummy' fence, with something stronger then chicken coop wire, and staking it about 3 feet from the fence line.

Guess I will have to talk to them and just take it as it comes.

Thanks!

catland
03-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Well, obviously the only real issue is Jonah's safety - but you could try spinning the conversation to something like,

"my toddler and I will be in the back yard and I'm trying to figure out a way to keep him from spooking your dog - what would you suggest?" - this way, they get to believe that you care about their welfare (even though you don't;) , and who knows, they might have a good idea.

If they're not cooperative - put up the fence.:p

slleipnir
03-28-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm sure if you told them you were conserned about Jonah they would understand??

zippy-kat
03-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Ugh. I just don't see a polite way for this to be addressed. I thought maybe I would ask, "whose fence is this? And, do you mind if I put up a privacy fence?" They would ask why, and I would explain. Sad thing is, it will look t-a-c-k-y.

In the interest of "gardening," could you put up a trellis (sp? those latice type wood fencing things lol) close to the portion(s) where the dog jumps, and plant morning glories or other climbing flowers? It might look more attractive.

Samantha Puppy
03-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Good call, Zippy-kat!

NoahsMommy
03-28-2005, 01:48 PM
That's a good idea, Zip! That way, it'd look nice and like you were sprucing up your yard.

Samantha Puppy
03-28-2005, 02:15 PM
If plants that require trellises (trelli? LOL) aren't your thing, how about large trees or shrubs/hedges?

bckrazy
03-28-2005, 02:36 PM
You sound like a very, very nice person to tolerate that ;).. I wouldn't go out of my way to be polite. If this dog has already bitten you (do your nieghbors know this?) you should talk to them immediately just how you spoke to us. Tell them that you have a right to your yard, and if the dog isn't trained, socialized, spayed, or whatever might help her and continues to bark and be aggressive just call animal control. Thats my advice, anyway ;). People really shouldn't be allowed to get away with this.

Also, is their Golden always outside? If so, you might want to inform them that "outside" dogs are almost always much more aggressive than dogs that are allowed inside. They develop strong protective instinct over their only known territory, which is the cause of many dog bites and most barking/annoying dogs.

AmberLee
03-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Other trellis-growing plants are star jasmine (smells heavenly) and wisteria (gorgeous in spring, kind of depressing in winter though...) Do either grow in your climate? You could also do ivy, although I hate it growing near homes. (Ugly critters are attracted to it, and it's heck to keep in line once it's established.)

Good luck. How reasonable are these neighbors?

Cinder & Smoke
03-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic

... ask, "whose fence is this?
And, do you mind if I put up a privacy fence?"

Sad thing is, it will look t-a-c-k-y. :(

Before you talk to the Naybors -Better call the ZONING and/or
Building Permit & Inspection Departments ~

I'll bet there are "Rules & Regulations" -
and LOTS of them -
about "Fences" and "set-backs" and "Lot-Lines" ...

The Towne Fathers may have a lot more to say about a New Fence or Trellis
than the Naybors do! :p

A really THICK, TALL, and LOW-to-the-ground Bush or Shrub
<might> help - but by the time it <GROWS> thick & tall enough -
"lil" Jonah will prolly be Big & Strong enough to not need any protection!

A REALLY *STURDY* and close-spaced "Trellis" might be the "ticket" =
but be sure to "check" to see if even a "Trellis" might be considered
to be a type of "fence" and therefor covered by the "rules".

I did think about making a 'dummy' fence, with something stronger
than chicken coop wire, and staking it about 3 feet from the fence line.

Check the "rules" -
And now you're making your already "small" yard even SMALL-er! :(

How about "buyin em out" - then RENT the place to some
"NO-dog" tenants! :cool:

Good Luck!!

/s/ Phred

moosmom
03-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Johanna,

I agree with Lizbud. I'd put up a privacy fence that Jonah can't put his fingers through. Cujo sounds like a real piece of work, and I highly doubt the neighbors would listen after you've already said your peace. If the dog bit me, I wouldn't want him anywhere NEAR my kid!

Good luck!

Cataholic
03-29-2005, 08:48 AM
For those of you that remember..this is the home of the kid that plays in the LIVE BAND! Music practice 3 times a week, for 2 hours...oh, yeah, from 5 pm -7pm. Not exactly dinnertime music. The entire neighborhood hates it. BUT, the parents tolerate it, for some reason I can't fathom.

As to the rules and regs on fences..there wouldn't be any problem installing a privacy fence- we are all fenced, and some yards have the privacy, others just the chain link.

There isn't any question that the neighbors know about their dog. It isn't an 'outdoor' dog...just, it is outdoors like most. When the warmer months come, it will be out lots and lots...

I think the privacy fence might just be the way. It is going to look cheesy with just one side done, though....

lizbud
03-29-2005, 09:31 AM
There are a lot of ways to "dress up" a wooden privacy fence
with flower groupings, hedges, small trees,etc. I suggested
only one side b/c of the price, but you could do the whole yard
too. It would add to the resale value of the property as well.:)