PDA

View Full Version : a bad summer for pets....

BandiTank
08-14-2001, 05:53 PM
I went to feed my solo lovebird this morning and I saw him laying in the bottom of his cage, dead. I do not know why, there's no telling. My Uncle Oscar Lewis (who owned them before) said that one of his many cats had gotten a hold of the birds through the cage bars, so this may have been the reason. When my last bird died as if she layed down and then died, like she was expecting it. I think this one died on his perch and just fell because he is kind of in the position the you would see a normal bird (but laying down) and his feet are curled as if they were around the perch. I am not sure, and I will never know, maybe its for the best. :(

zippy-kat
08-14-2001, 07:30 PM
Oh Banditank! I'm so sorry!

Perhaps, this little birdy-died from a broken heart. She (or he) went to live with its mate.

Awhile back, I had two mice. One went downhill rapidly. She was blind and paralyzed in her back legs. The other mouse would bring food to her and help her out of the house when she needed a drink. When the sick mouse passed away, her mate (who was perfectly healthy) died the very next day. :( I strongly feel that she died of a broken heart. They were sisters and had never been apart a day in their lives.

I know it's hard, but I'm sure you provided the best care possible.

God gives burdens but he also gives us friends to help with these burdens. Please don't hesitate to ask us if you need anything!

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

sammi
08-14-2001, 07:30 PM
So sorry to hear your bird died. Was the bird very old? Hopefully he died very suddenly as it sounds like he did. Have comfort in your other pets. Sure he is flying his wings freely over the rainbow bridge tonight.

4 feline house
08-14-2001, 08:32 PM
BandiTank, it seems like you are being saddled with more grief than is even fair. It's possible your lovebirds were ill with something contagious, but I've known of birds before dying of "broken hearts". It's so sad. I hope things start looking up for you again.

Logan
08-14-2001, 09:55 PM
My goodness, Rachel. First Bandit and now this. I am so sorry you are having so much bad luck lately.

I'll say a prayer that things will start looking up right away for you.

Logan

Ila
08-14-2001, 11:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your bird. That is sad. Time heals. Anyone who has had a pet pass knows how you feel. Misty & I send our sympathy. :(

AdoreMyDogs
08-15-2001, 06:50 AM
I am very sorry about your lovebird. But you had 2 lovebirds together not too long ago, correct? And one died one day, leaving the other behind? Am I correct? If that's the case, then it's likely the 2nd lost it's will to live due to a broken heart. Lovebirds mate for life, as most parrot species do, and their bonds are very, very strong. It sounds like nothing you could have prevented, no matter how much you loved the remaining bird. They get so attached to one another that there is little you could have done to cheer the remaining bird up :( I am so sorry :( what a hard summer this has been for you. You poor thing.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-15-2001, 10:13 AM
That is so sad, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your two birds and your pup. Hopefully things will get better
Jackie

Dog lover5678
08-15-2001, 10:57 AM
Oh im so sorry :( :( I feel RREEEAallllyyy bad im so sorry
http://www.plader-smilies.de/cry.gif :(

wolflady
08-15-2001, 11:12 AM
Oh Rachel, so sorry to hear about your bird!! What a tough summer this is turning out to be for you! I really hope things look up for you soon!! Adore is right, I've had friends that had lovebirds and had the exact same thing happen. The birds are so close to each other that when one passes...the other one will follow. There probably wasn't really anything you could do about that either. I'm so sorry for your loss!!! :( ****hugs**** Please do let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
Karen

Daisy's Mom
08-15-2001, 08:18 PM
Rachel you poor thing! What an awful sumemr you are having! I am so sorry about your lovebird. My heart goes out to you, you poor thing. Remember, we are here for you if you need us!