PDA

View Full Version : Microchip ID's for every adopted pet..

TheAntiPam
06-20-2001, 09:44 PM
Today, the Los Angeles County Animal Control dept. announced that every animal adopted from one of the County shelters will have a microchip ID inserted before leaving for their new home.

This announcement came right after a news story about a dog that was reunited with his family after about 5 years missing. He was identified in the County shelter by having the chip ID in place.

The cost for the chip will be part of the adoption fee. Already, the County includes spaying/neutering if needed with the adoption fees. However, the large number of chips that will be used countywide will bring the cost down.

On a personal note, I've been to some of the County shelters, and they are not what we'd wish for our pets (don't get me started!!!). But, this move should go quite a way toward making sure more pets get back home quickly!

Good Move, Los Angeles County!

jackiesdaisy1935
06-20-2001, 09:50 PM
This is a wonderful idea and it should be done throughout the country. We had Perry and Daisy microchipped last year.

------------------
http://clipartpage.homestead.com/files/blkschnauzer.gif
http://clipartpage.homestead.com/files/schnauzer.gif

Logan
06-20-2001, 10:10 PM
Honey has been microchipped. She is my biggest "flight risk". Lilly and Mimi will be microchipped in August when they go for their annual exam. And Butter will have his done either at his annual checkup or sooner if he has to go in for anything. I'm spacing it out a little, even though there is some risk to doing that, because here it is $50, and with the Frontline costs and the annual checkup costs, along with the incidentals (which Mimi and Lilly have experienced lately), it gets a little expensive!!!!

Logan

Sudilar
06-21-2001, 01:49 PM
Both Killian and Shiloh are microchipped!

------------------
http://swt.edu/~aw1024/adopt12.gif

RachelJ
06-21-2001, 03:35 PM
I knew there was something I forgot when we went in for shots. Hannah, the one who needs it, does not have a chip. Tucker, having been a shelter dog does. I should check to see if the shelters offer any specials on microchiping.

Jasper's Mom
06-21-2001, 06:21 PM
The AVID ID chips are offered at the Hawaiian Humane Society. All adopted animals have one and they are often offered on special to the public for $5 each. That's when I took my 1 year old dog Moses. All mine are chipped now. That's 1 good point for a group that has many negatives.

All feral cats going there for neutering are chipped. Feral cats also have their ears notched so that trappers can know without touching that a cat has already been done.

June is Love A Cat Month. Kittens and cats can be adopted 2 for the price of 1 ($50). Free food and other goodies too.

My baby Eli was neutered at the Hawaiian Humane Society through another June program of 250 free neuters. I paid $5 for his chip, and he came home with a small shaved area on his tummy and a mark. I thought, how odd for a boy kitty. Found out that the tummy mark is for all kittens that they neuter. It is actually a tattoo. For identifying already neutered tame animals, instead of the notched ears. Good idea.

If you haven't chipped your pet yet, look around, maybe somewhere in your area they are offering specials too.

aly
06-24-2001, 12:43 PM
http://www.inlandempireonline.com/news/stories/062001/found20.shtml

sammi
06-24-2001, 02:28 PM
aly, Thanks for the great story!

Daisy's Mom
06-25-2001, 12:15 AM
Wow, that's a great story Aly! Thanks! To think that those kids were only 5 when Lukee disappeared, and wer eleven the next time they saw her! What an amazing story!

crow_noir
06-25-2001, 01:26 AM
i do beleive that microchipping is a GREAT idea, but i personally could never do that to a dog. i'm way to squeemish about it. i'll never get a dog from a shelter that makes it mandatory. i would consider tattoing. i always get id tags for my dogs. (not a sure fire thing since collars can fall off or be taken off.)

i do have one exception. i think if i ever got a Sarloos. i'd ethically have to. they are so rare and so valuable. i'd have alot of responsibility on me. not that any other dog is less deserving. i really don't know how to explain the difference.

just thought i'd share my oppinions on the topic.