PDA

View Full Version : turtles

AiredaleLover
06-19-2001, 09:39 AM
Ok,
my family was considering getting 2 pet turtles. what kind do you guys recomend and where can i find them/how much?

Logan
06-19-2001, 02:48 PM
I don't know much about turtles. But I know that they are available at some specialty pet stores. We have a store here in Greenville that is actually a Feed and Seed store, but they sell reptiles. Turtles are heavily legislated in SC, and I think there is some law that you can only sell them to teachers....sounds kind of crazy. But every turtle we ever had came from the pond down the street! And my sister has two from there, that my brother caught for her as babies, and now they are in excess of 10 years old. They are water turtles, but I don't know what you call them.

We have some turtle owners here on Pet Talk in ThelmaLu and Ben E. Gas, so maybe they can give you some advice.

Good luck!

Johari
06-21-2001, 06:15 PM
I can help you there. water turtles- Red Eared Sliders, Land Turtles- Box Turtles. Box turtles are more expensive but easier to keep clean. RES are cheaper but are harder to keep clean. You can go to the following site to get a lot more turtle information.

http://skildpadder.topcities.com/

that will take you straight to the site.

Cheers

*Johari*

------------------
"Even the smallest of creatures steal my heart." -Me

thelmalu99
06-22-2001, 12:43 PM
Hi AiredaleLover,
Most pet stores that sell small animals such as birds, fish and hamsters will also carry turtles and turtle supplies.
They are pretty easy to care for. You can get turtle food (little pellets that you put in the water) for them and supplement their diets with a variety of vegetables, greens and fruits. My turtle, Yertle loves tomato, lettuce, strawberries, spinach, cabbage, etc.
My turtle roams the apartment, but most people have them in a tank with rocks and a whole setup.
If you check the posts here, you'll find several threads about turtles, Ben even posted a picture of his turtle tank somewhere. It's really cool.
Good luck and let us know when you get your turtles!