PDA

View Full Version : Taffy Had Another Seizure

chrissycat21
03-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Atleast thats what we think.

A few months ago Taffy had what appeared to be a seizure. He lost movement in his back legs and was lethargic. My mom, dad, and I hand fed him mashed fruits and baby food with vitamin C for around 2 weeks, he completely recoverered.

Taffy and Buttons are at my grandparents' house because we're supposed to be on vacation now, but that didn't work out. I'm really glad my dad thought to pack the syringe (sp?) to feed him with and the vitamin C. My grandparents are feeding him today and we're picking him up tomorrow. My grandparents called saying that he is dragging his legs again and doesn't seem to be able to walk; the same thing that happened last time.

I'm just really worried, he just had his sixth birthday and is considered a senior now. He has been through so much so far in the past 6 years, many things being medical problems.

Could you please keep your paws crossed for Taffy? I have a bad feeling that he might now pull through this. I know I get worried easily, but he is my baby boy. :( And, since he isn't here I can't check on him every five minutes to make sure he's ok.

I'm really hoping that I just worry too easily and am overreacting, but I have a feeling thats not the case. :(

flamepony12
03-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Oh no! :( I really hope Taffy will be alright.... prayers on the way!!
((((((HUGS)))))))

chrissycat21
03-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks Devon.

I just called my grandpa, he says Taffy doesn't look good. :( Basicly he described the same thing that happened last time, not eating, laying curled up, dragging his back feet, not accepting food or water, etc. My dad and I are going to go over there tomorrow morning so hopefully I'll be able to get him to eat then.

I think theres a reason I'm not supposed to go on this vacation. My mom and I were talking, there were to many signs, I was sick, my dad was sick, my mom was sick, and my sisters were sick. And now Taffy. :( I hate thinking this way, but I have this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. My mom just said I have to be prepared for this to go any way, either he can get better, or he won't. The last time this happened the vet even said that there was a very good chance that he wouldn't make it.

I think I'm just going to try to get a good nights sleep and just try to keep positive about this, he has survived so many things, so why not this?

manda_moo87
03-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Oh Chrissy... :( I'm so sorry to hear about poor Taffy. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers tonight. I know its no fun to worry...

luvofallhorses
03-26-2005, 09:55 PM
((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))) Get well soon sweet Taffy:( I will pray hard for him.

petslover
03-26-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Taffy. I hope Taffy gets better.

PJ's Mom
03-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Chrissy, you and Taffy are in my thoughts. I hope he pulls through.

chrissycat21
03-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Cross posted from thread titled 'chrissycat'. I thought more people would check here. ;)

Ok, I don't think he had a seizure now, I think he had a heart attack:

If you find an guinea pig very weak on it's legs, or flat out on it's side giving great heaving breaths which come from deep down in the diaphram accompanied by a weak or slow heart beat it has probably had a heart attack.

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/heartproblems.htm

That almost exactly describes how Taffy has been the past two times when he got sick.

Also, stress leads to heart attacks in people and animals. Well, both times when he started to look sick was immediatly after he had been majorly stressed out.

1) He had been taken to the petstore to be checked for mites/lice because we know the manager and she said she would be able to special order the medicine for us if he had it, so she tried doing the tape test and looking through his fur. After I came home from school we took him to the vet because of the bald patches on his back, he didn't have mites or lice. A cyst that he had for sometime had been bothering him, and when the vet was using the kitty flea comb to comb through his fur and check for bugs she punctured it and it popped. A few days later, Taffy was laying on his side, not moving, not eating, and looking very weak.

2) The second time he was stressed out my dad and I drove him to my grandparents' house so they could petsit for us, he freaked out in the car and I was told that he didn't come out of his pigloo for around 3-4 days after he was there. Then, my mom didn't tell me because she didn't want to worry me, but my grandpa called saying that Taffy wasn't acting right, he wasn't eating, etc. Then my mom realized that it could be the same thing as last time.

Sorry for the long post, but I just realized that it could have been a heart attack. Also, I was reading how it is more likely for them to get heart attacks more then once and they are more likely.

This is why Taffy doesn't go to the vet unless he absolutely has to, way too much stress on him.

I'm glad I was atleast able to figure out what it was, and each time he had been stressed out, and then he got sick.

I wish I realized this earlier! Hopefully he won't get one again.

Edit: I thought I'd let you guys know how Taffy is progressing:

He ate a little today and is drinking more. I changed his cage so now he isn't on litter, he is on towels so I can see if he is going to the bathroom or not. Plus, when he dragged his legs the litter would go, well, up his but (literally) and he already has problems with impaction and 'needs help' going to the bathroom. The only bad part about the towels is:

1)I owe my mom money if they are ruined and can not be used again.

2)His claw got snagged on the towel and it freaked him out.