PDA

View Full Version : Feeling blue :(

Eudora
08-11-2001, 02:51 AM
Hi everyone... I'm just feeling really sad. My dad finally gave in and brought home a beautiful dachschund called Sugar. But she died of old age in January and I still cry at night over her. Is it me? Every animal I own dies early or else it dies after i just got it. Am I jinxed? :*(Is it me? or is it just my luck? Anyway, anyone who came here, thanks for listening.

Sudilar
08-11-2001, 08:15 AM
No. Your dad was nice enough to adopt an older dog and give her the best life she could have for the time she had left. Most people are not willing to adopt the older dogs. It is hard to lose a pet, but remember, you gave her the best in the end. So very sorry.

Daisy's Mom
08-12-2001, 12:12 AM
It is not you at all. You are a wonderful person! I really respect people who adopt older dogs. It's just the sweetest thing you can do, to fill the last few years of an animal's life with happiness and love, especially if they never got any of it up till then. Thank you for taking Sugar in, and don't doubt yourself. Maybe it is just time for a new pet :)

Dog lover5678
08-15-2001, 10:59 AM
NO its not u How could u do something like that??? (*)

wolflady
08-15-2001, 11:05 AM
Hello Eudora, it's definitely not you!! I agree, it's very sweet of you to adopt an older dog, and with that comes the possiblity that there may not be a lot of time left. Bless you and your dad's heart for taking Sugar in. I'm sure she lived out her last happy days with you and is smiling down on you from the rainbow bridge. It's always hard to lose a pet, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Sugar. **hugs**
Karen

jackiesdaisy1935
08-15-2001, 09:13 PM
Oh Eudora, I am so sorry to hear Sugar passed on, it has nothing to do with you.
Her time had come and it was wonderful of you and your Dad to take an older dog into your life and give it a wonderful home and much love. I know it is hard to think about right now, but maybe in a little while you will get the chance to have another dog to hold and love. Just take one day at a time.
Jackie

Eudora
08-18-2001, 02:06 AM
You guys are so wonderful and I really appreciate your support especially now, with what's happening at school. I carry a photo of sugar in my wallet and when people see it, they go, "is that your dog?" And then I say, "Um, yeah" and then they go " How old is she?" I reply that she died and then usually they laugh at me for carrying a dead dog's photo around as it's supposed to be bad luck. But it's easier because then I don't miss Sugar so much. And in that photo she was on my bed and sort of smiling, cos she isn't supposed to be on the bed. Thanks you people! You're all wonderful people. God bless you!

jackiesdaisy1935
08-18-2001, 09:30 AM
Oh Eudora, I don't think carrying Sugar's picture around is bad luck, if it makes you feel better I would say it was good luck.
Will your Dad think about maybe getting you another dog? I know how much you love animals and I would love to see you with another. Maybe if you let your Dad read some of these posts, it will help convince him.
Jackie

Eudora
08-30-2001, 08:54 AM
Thanks everyone! You guys are absolutely wonderful, fantabulous, great!!!!!! My Dad read all the posts and he said. if even foreigners care so much then it's really worth getting me another dog! My new Golden Retriever puppy is coming home soon! Thank you so much everyone! By the way, ideas for names are welcome!

Logan
08-30-2001, 03:26 PM
Oh, I am just thrilled for you, Eudora! Your Golden Retriever will be the answer to a prayer. Just get ready to train, train, train!! You'll get lots of ideas here, I'm sure. How exciting!!!

Honey and Lilly think "girls" are best, but I have to tell you it wouldn't matter one bit to me. Boys or girls, they are just wonderful companions. :D :D :D For once, I can speak with some authority on something!

Can't wait to hear all about the new baby. You will know the right name when you meet your baby.

tatsxxx11
08-30-2001, 07:06 PM
Oh, Eudora!!!!! What wonderful news!! How excited you must be...Now, remember, Logan, our golden expert, is here to provide you with all the help and guidance you need!! :D Can't wait to hear the great news...She (or he) is home!

And Eudora, there is absolutely nothing wrong with carrying a picture of your dear, sweet Sugar with you. How proud she must be, looking down from the Bridge and knowing how proud you are of her. Any real animal lover will know exactly how you feel. Bless you little Sugar. I couldn't be happier for you Eudora!!!

[ August 30, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

Daisy's Mom
08-31-2001, 02:09 AM
I am so happy for you Eudora! This will really help with the pain of losing Sugar. I can't wait to hear all about your new puppy!

Gio
08-31-2001, 08:03 AM
I'm really pleased for you Eudora! It must be awful to love pets as much as you do and not being able to keep one. Don't worry about what other people think about you carrying a picture of Sugar, I have framed picture of all my pets who are no longer with me.

Dixieland Dancer
08-31-2001, 08:44 AM
Hi Eudora!
You are very fortunate to have such an understanding Dad. His willingness to get you another dog shows how much he loves you. :)

I am also a Golden owner and think you will have the best companion you could ever dream of in your new puppy. Talk dad into getting you into a obedience class with the puppy ( I assume they have classes in Singapore ). If not then get a book on training. A trained dog is a loved dog and a welcome addition to any community. Have patience though since Golden puppies are very active and require lots of running to keep them from getting into too much mischief. :D :D :D

jackiesdaisy1935
08-31-2001, 09:35 AM
Good luck Eudora with your new puppy. A Golden is a wonderful dog and if you have any questions about your puppie just ask Logan. A great big wonderful thank you to your Dad for realizing how much you want a dog and getting one for you. Three cheers for Dad.
Jackie

Eudora
08-31-2001, 09:56 AM
Actually, she is a gift from a relative who is a dog breeder and has been house-trained. I believe I will try to train her myself as I have experience with Sugar. My mom suggested calling her Cookie or Goldie. Any suggestions? :)

gini
08-31-2001, 10:06 AM
I think Jackie has it exactly right! We all thank DAD for knowing his daughter needs a pet so badly. Just wait until this new puppy gives Dad a big slurp with a wide grin or leans against him with love. Dad will be won over in a flash. Bet HE will have a picture of the puppy in his wallet too.

I am sorry you lost Sugar, but I get the feeling you made Sugar's last days happy and filled with love and you and your Dad should be honored for making it possible.

Now, we want to know all about that new puppy and I think a good name will just come to you. I am so happy for you.

Gini

Albea
08-31-2001, 12:42 PM
Dear Eudora:
I had not read all these posts when I sent you the e-mail yesterday. Never mind what people say because you carry a photo of Sugar in your wallet. They are the ones that are missing a lot by not understanding the bond we can have with our furry friends.
Your dad understands, he must be a very nice person and loves you a lot. Once again, I'm so happy for you :D Let us know when the puppy arrives. Any name you choose will be fine because there will always be LOVE in your voice when you call her. :)

Logan
08-31-2001, 01:53 PM
Hi again! I wanted to add that Alicia and Dixieland Dancer are probably much better Golden trainers than I am! But I know that all three of us love them dearly, so ask away. My email address is here on my profile, so I'll be glad to help if I can. I know that my girls are "perfect" in my mind...but probably not to others! :D

4 feline house
08-31-2001, 09:33 PM
Yea, Eudora's daddy! By the way, I'm not a foreigner! I'm a native! Ha ha, just kidding. I'm so glad you finally are going to get your wish!

Eudora
09-01-2001, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone, once again a really big THANK YOU!!! My puppy just arrived this morning and I love her already! still thinking about what to call her though..... :) thanks everyone! You guys are really wonderful and caring! I don't even know you personally and have never met you but you helped me to get a new dog.I think that's really generous! :D

gini
09-02-2001, 11:15 AM
What a great and happy day for you. We want to hear all about it.

Her name will just pop into your head as she does something funny or endearing.

Give her bug hugs and snuggles from all of us.

However, Rascal says "yuk, she got a dog. Why couldn't she have gotten a CAT?[i]

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: gini ]

Albea
09-02-2001, 12:55 PM
What good news! The puppy has arrived :D Of course you love her already, who can resist the smile of a Golden pup!!! Have lots of fun with her and tell us about all her adventures. Many hugs and kisses for the "nameless" one ;)

Daisy's Mom
09-03-2001, 12:35 AM
I am so happy for you! Kisses to the sweet new pup!

Eudora
09-03-2001, 04:45 AM
I have a feeling that she is going to be christened Cookie.... When she came home one of the first things she did was wander to the kitchen and open a bag of Oreos with her teeth! She got the cream all over herself and thus received her first bath! :D

Freckles
09-03-2001, 08:35 AM
I'm pleased this topic title is no longer appropriate.

Dixieland Dancer
09-04-2001, 08:47 AM
Congratulations on your new pup! :) Now you can say what I do to people I meet, MY BEST FRIENDS ARE PURE GOLD! :D :D :D :D

We would all love to see pictures if you get some soon!

Albea
09-04-2001, 10:07 AM
Hi Eudora!
I had to laugh when I read about Cookie eating the Oreos. Welcome to the world of puppy mischief :D You may have to "puppy-proof" your house the same way mothers do when they have a toddler ;) When I had my first Golden I could not keep a roll of paper towels in my kitchen because Natasha (the Red Menace), even as a puppy, would reach the back of the counter and pull the roll out all over the floor. Goldens are very smart when it comes to mischief, you always have to be two steps ahead of them. ;) And then they look at you with that face and there's nothing you can do about it but laugh :D

4 feline house
09-04-2001, 10:25 PM
Cookie thinks Cookie is a superb name, even if it is going to a, ahem, dog.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/Uz/zu/tO/9m78878.jpg

Eudora
09-06-2001, 10:33 PM
Cookie can cheer up-unfortunately my beautiful girl cannot be called Cookie as my cousin's dog is called Cookie and she threw a tantrum when I said she was going to be Cookie. She is now Tanya! see the topic names for my pup at Pet General for details!

cr7clark
09-07-2001, 11:41 AM
4 feline house,
Cookie is almost a double of my Bo! Bo has a bit more white on her face, but the look.....!
I'll bet Cookie is a priss as well :cool:

4 feline house
09-07-2001, 10:22 PM
Bosmom-

Coo is a pure sweetie. I think she's about the sweetest kitty I've ever had. She was not even old enough to walk yet when she first started trying to climb up my dress to kiss me - I think she was about three weeks old. I would see her little face light up when I would come into the room to visit the babies, and she would start tumbling towards me to get her sugars! I really don't know why she became so attached to me, and at such a young age, but she lives to sit on my lap and follows me from room to room. As far as being a priss...well, she knows she's beautiful, if that counts!

Do you have pics of Bo? I would love to compare!

crow_noir
09-07-2001, 11:36 PM
Eudora! what great news! i just got back. sorry i wasn't here sooner.

what about Droxie for a name. it's pretty and is another brand of Oreo. or have you decided? (and i still think you should be able to call her cookie *arms crossed* *stern face* *pout*)

Eudora
09-13-2001, 06:10 AM
I'm sorry crow-noir, but unfortunately that is out of my control, my cousin won'r stand for it. we tried teaching her Tanya, but strangely enough she only answers to Cookie. Keep your fingers crossed...............

crow_noir
09-14-2001, 01:31 AM
lol when a dog chooses a name they choose a name.
we know someone who named their dog Pal. one day he jokingly called him Fritz. well, the dog responded to that name better. But no matter what we said the person would not change the dog's name. (he han't even completed the registration papers yet!)

TheAntiPam
09-14-2001, 02:09 AM
I've had 4 cats, and 3 of them told ME their names. The first one waited until I'd had him for over a month, and already named him something else. But, as we all know, when it comes to our pets, resistance is futile ;)

We must simply adapt!

Eudora
09-22-2001, 01:10 AM
Ok, cousin or no cousin she is now Cookie, she simply won't answer to anything else!!!

4 feline house
09-22-2001, 10:47 AM
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/F2/Lb/pW/cS22539.jpg http://www.contrabandent.com/pez1/contrib/ruinkai/biggthumpup.gif

Albea
09-22-2001, 12:16 PM
Good for you Eudora :D Your cousin should grow up and realize that Cookie is not a registered name ;) If Cookie likes her name, that's all that counts.
Is she growing fast? Give her many hugs and kisses from me.