PDA

View Full Version : Income Tax - how is this possible???

slick
03-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Other's can start a rant, why can't I?? :mad:
My total income for 2004 was only a couple thousand more than 2003. In 2004 I contributed double into the RRSP than I did in 2003.....yet my 2004 refund is $300 less than 2003!!! :eek: :mad: That's taking a serious bite into my travel fund. D*** government...they raised the Provincial and Federal Taxes payable. I know I can't do anything about it but it's just one more confirmation that our government stinks!!! We pay more taxes and get nothing in return. If it were up to me, I'd take 'em out to the woodshed and shoot 'em all.....then I'd get put in jail, get 3 free meals a day and not pay any taxes. :rolleyes:

moosmom
03-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Slick,

Don't feel bad. I owe $1,000 from 2003 and another $880 from 2004. All because I didn't have taxes taken out of my unemployment benefits.

I totally agree that our government stinks. Unemployment should NOT be taxed!!

I fee your pain, girl.

shais_mom
03-25-2005, 08:40 PM
I feel you're pain slick. My travel fund got damaged also. I OWE $277 to our Federal. I got bumped into the next tax bracket. I am going to start saving receipts for everything work related etc.....

ggrrrr

LauraT7
03-25-2005, 08:42 PM
The entire tax code needs to be pitched in the circular file and they should start from scratch.

It shouldn't take a college course or a computer program to figure out your taxes.

Hell, you can't even get the same answer to a question from two different IRS employees!

And you are right - Unemployment should NOT be taxed - especially if you have needed it for more than half the year.

Aside from the unemployment issue itself, COBRA is a huge joke. Sure the law makes your employer OFFER you continuance of benefits - but who can afford it when the cost is $500 - $700 a month or more?

the last time I was unemployed, my COBRA insurance for me ALONE was more than my HOUSE PAYMENT!

Someone sent me a chain e-mail that made ALOT of sense.

Put all the senators, congressmen and polititians on the SAME program as the common people for Soc Security, medicare, medical insurance, benefits, etc, and see how FAST they 'fix' the system!

laura

NoahsMommy
03-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Ugh...I dread finding out how much I'll have to pay...my last idiot office manager didn't take enough out...either did David's job....blech. SCARED.... :(

wolfsoul
03-25-2005, 11:26 PM
I think that's the first rant I've ever heard from you! :p Hope your tax problems get better --- I don't know anything about taxes but I know that they are no fun. :(

Shelteez2
03-25-2005, 11:38 PM
I know what you mean.

My mom does my taxes and she said that before she put in my RRSPs I would have owed over $200. After she put in my RRSPs I ended up getting $60 something back :rolleyes: Woohoo. :rolleyes:

My boss said the accountant took off what the book says to take off plus $10.

I can't really afford to put more into my RRSPs every month, I hardly make a lot as it is.

*sigh* Goverment officials...can't live with them... just can't shoot them.... or can you?

Hmm Slick I'm there for you if you need me to get your back ;)

Lilith Cherry
03-26-2005, 04:33 AM
Canadian taxes stink!! I still have to pay tax even though I am living in China and earning less than $600 a month and supporting my husband!

Do NOT vote liberal !:( :eek: :confused:

Cataholic
03-26-2005, 06:50 AM
:confused: Is now the time to tell people that because of my little 'deduction' for year end 2004, I am getting a healthy refund?

Sirrahsim
03-26-2005, 07:37 AM
lol:D I'm looking forward to next year's EIC:D
*pats her future little tax deduction*

catnapper
03-26-2005, 07:59 AM
Ugh, I feel your pain. We pay into it and we don't get anything from it... its the people who DON'T pay into it that gets the benefit (aka the bums who live solely off public assistance!) :mad:

But on the plus side for me... since my company lost money last year, we are getting triple our normal tax return! woohoo for us!

K9karen
03-28-2005, 01:59 AM
I had a "9/11 related" unemployment for 18 months and decided to have the Federal Taxes taken out. Glad I did so I didn't owe, but I feel the same way. It's not MY fault I was laid off from a great paying job and barely made ends meet with the meager UC, yet had to pay taxes. Then when I got ill and had to go on disability, I called the IRS about tax deductions and got, you're right..3 different answers. I tried to get their ID numbers (that's how they answer the phone) but they hung up rudely each time, so I just held my breath. Luckily I didnt COLOR=indigo]owe.

Ya also got me started on Cobra,,Mine went up over $100 from last year which eats up a lot of my disability. I get paid the 2nd Wed of every month and that's after most of my main bills are due.

After at least 2 more SirJuries, I hope I can find a job with decent benefits. And to top things off, my medical coverage now covers only 90% of surgeries, copays went up and I'm being socked with hospital and doctor bills that I can't pay straight out. :mad: :mad:

I can't eait to get back to work. I always thought staying home would be fun but it's boring and it stinks. I'll never complain again even if I have to get up at 5a and drive 50 miles.

GraciesMommy
03-28-2005, 05:59 AM
We are paying $1997....which makes me sick...but gotta pay it...that's life..