PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know...

moosmom
03-24-2005, 04:39 PM
when it's time to put a litterbox out for kittens??? I'm new at this kitten thing. The other day Duncan was walking around the room yowling, while poo was coming out of his butt. I wiped it off and made a "makeshift" litterbox out of a box lid (until I could buy a real one) and put clay litter in it. I put Duncan in it and he just started to eat the litter. :eek: :eek: I took the box up and it hasn't happened again. I know Mattie Grace has been cleaning them (EWWW!!!) but didn't know when they would start using a litterbox.

Also, while I'm asking for advice...when should I start putting kitten food soaked in KMR for them?

Hey, I don't claim to know EVERYTHING, just MOST things!! ;);):p

QueenScoopalot
03-24-2005, 04:46 PM
How old are the kids now Donna? It's very normal for kittens to eat litter (annoying, but normal). Be sure it's a kitten safe litter. Sweet-Scoop is a wheat based clumping litter which is great for little ones, and is harmless if they eat it. regular clumping litter can be dangerous. It sounds as though they may be ready to try it out. And if you put food out for Mattie Grace (wet) if the kittens are ready, they'll nibble along with her. Generally 5-6 weeks they should be using the potty.:)

moosmom
03-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks Jan.

The kittens are 4 weeks old today. I've been giving Mattie Grace Science Diet Kitten Food kibble. She loves it and it's good for her. I've also been boiling chicken livers for her. She gobbles that up. I picked up the makeshift litterbox with the clay litter in it because I don't think they're quite ready for it. They turn 5 weeks old next Thursday (my payday). I'll pick up some Swheat Scoop up then along with a normal, small litterbox and see what happens. They haven't shown any interest in what Mattie is eating. They do, however, belly up to the bar when she's trying to eat.

They are a hoot right now! The minute I walk in the door they're all over me like a kitten jungle gym. But I love it! They're wrestling with each other and with Mattie. She gives this real low growl and they calm down. She's such a great mama and I've fallen in love with both her and Sassie.

This has been such a great experience for me. I'd do it all again if I had the chance.

How are YOUR babies doing??? Has Mama calmed down any??

catmandu
03-24-2005, 07:55 PM
That is a good idea,about the SWheat.Other than that I am not sure,as Pouncer,was the youngest Kitten,that I was Guardian ,for and she was about 3 Months old,Good Luck,with the Babies!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos705.jpg

moosmom
03-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks Gary. I need your address, as I'm going to send you some fresh dried catnip from my friend Kathy's garden. ;)

leslie
03-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Donna! My memory from fostering newbies is that they eat the litter WHILE they use it!!! I worried about it and would pick litter off of their tongues but it never harmed them.. Long as it's a box shared by just the family, I didn't worry! It's roughage and ok in the small amounts they fool around with. I always kept a litter box available cuz of the mother and noticed babies using the box at various ages depending on mother's decision on when to stop eating the stuff. Cats don't like the poop and pee just anywhere so if mom stops taking care of it, they have gone right to the litter box! Let us know how it goes!

moosmom
03-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Leslie,

Well, to my surprize, they ARE using the litterbox!!! I filled it with "World's Best Cat Litter" which is crushed corn cob. I've also started putting out a plate of Iams canned cat food mixed with KMR. Duncan is the only one who ate it with a vengance. The other ones sniffed it and walked away. I know it's early yet so I'm not too worried.

The woman at the local feed store asked my friend Kathy when the kittens would be ready for adoption. Things are looking up!!!