PDA

View Full Version : Human finger found in Wendy's chili

ramanth
03-24-2005, 08:41 AM
EEEk!! :eek:

Woman bites into finger at San Jose restaurant (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/23/finger23.TMP)

Woman bites into finger at San Jose restaurant

Maria Alicia Gaura, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A diner bit into a segment of human finger while digging into a bowl of chili at a San Jose Wendy's restaurant Tuesday night, Santa Clara County health officials said today.

The woman, who asked officials not to name or even describe her, spit out the well-cooked digit and reportedly warned other diners to stop eating. She then became sick to her stomach.

Santa Clara County Health Officer Dr. Martin Fenstersheib said today the woman was horrified "due to the unpleasant sensation of having this (object) in her mouth."

But he said the finger had been cooked at a high enough temperature to kill any viruses, including hepatitis or HIV, and it was unlikely that she will suffer any health effects from her experience, aside from psychological trauma.

The finger was described by Santa Clara County Medical Examiner Dr. Joseph P. O'Hara as cooked but not decomposed. The finger was found in two pieces, a one and three-eighths inch long fingertip complete with the skin whorls used in fingerprinting, and a half-inch long piece of fingernail. The joint appeared to have been torn off, possibly by manufacturing machinery, rather than cleanly cut. Because of its slightly longer than average length and neat grooming, it may have belonged to a woman, O'Hara said.

The restaurant at 1405 Monterey Highway was temporarily closed Tuesday night to allow health officials to impound the remaining chili, which was prepared on site, using a variety of ingredients. Health officials also seized all of the restaurant's remaining stock of ingredients, which will be inspected, and traced back to their manufacturer.

Since all of the workers at the restaurant were in possession "of all 10 of their fingers," health inspectors assume the finger likely entered the food chain as a result of the manufacturing process, according to county Environmental Resources Director Ben Gale.

Health inspectors said the restaurant appeared to be generally clean and well-maintained, with only one minor health violation having to do with a leaky vent.

*shudders*

Samantha Puppy
03-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Good thing I'm addicted to their chicken nuggets and not the chili!! :eek:

moosmom
03-24-2005, 08:52 AM
But he said the finger had been cooked at a high enough temperature to kill any viruses, including hepatitis or HIV, and it was unlikely that she will suffer any health effects from her experience,

Well now, that just puts MY mind at ease!!!!

And I supposed the "digit" tasted just like chicken, right????

I think I'll stick to homemade chili.

dukedogsmom
03-24-2005, 09:28 AM
I think I would have hurled all over the table as soon as it happened. Gross! I think she'll have some good money from this. She probably won't even have to try to sue. They'll probably offer her some. I don't think it would be worth it, though.

KYS
03-24-2005, 09:36 AM
I just heard about this on the news.
I would have freaked out.

GraciesMommy
03-24-2005, 10:05 AM
My husband thinks they make the best chili...bet he won't want any for awhile..gag..

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Eww! I can't even imagine how I would have reacted.

slick
03-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Gives a new meaning to the expression "Give 'em the finger"....:D :D

Cataholic
03-24-2005, 10:15 AM
No, No, No, Slick. It is: FINGER LICKIN' GOOD!

slick
03-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
No, No, No, Slick. It is: FINGER LICKIN' GOOD!
:D :D ROFLMAO!!!! You hit the "nail" on the head with that one.....

Too bad we don't get to see a "thumb sketch".:D

moosmom
03-24-2005, 10:40 AM
You guys are sick puppies!!! Gotta love ya, though!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!

Cataholic
03-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by slick
:D :D ROFLMAO!!!! You hit the "nail" on the head with that one.....

Too bad we don't get to see a "thumb sketch".:D

I wonder, I wonder...did the patron get a 'five finger discount'?

ramanth
03-24-2005, 11:24 AM
ROTFLMAO!!! You two are killing me! :D

dukedogsmom
03-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Well if she did have to puke, she'd already have the finger in her mouth to make it happen.

QueenScoopalot
03-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Leave it to PTers to come up with all these ROFLMAO comments! :D :D :D I'm not a fan of Wendys or any of those chain fast food 'joints':rolleyes: I'm sure if it were me eating that, I'd have hurled all over the place...my stomach's queasy even thinking about it.

slick
03-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Don't know if she will sue or not but I would like to be a fly on the wall....I can just hear it now....

"As for who is to blame, we don't want to go pointing any fingers until all the evidence is in...." :D :D

dukedogsmom
03-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Wendy's will probably be getting a "chilli" reception for a while after this incident.

RedHedd
03-24-2005, 12:29 PM
I heard the news report this morning that they think it will take several weeks to find out whose finger it is! One would think that whoever lost it, would have noticed and said something? And what other food items was this person handling AFTER they lost the tip of their finger and said nothing to anyone? I mean it did ruin a manicure, right? :rolleyes:

popcornbird
03-24-2005, 01:01 PM
...:eek:

Ewww!!!! Now how in the world was this finger able to get so far without the person who lost it not screaming for help?

One of my aunts once lost half a finger while using a food processor...it somehow turned on while she was putting whatever she needed to 'chop' in it. Unfortunately, it chopped her finger off...:eek:...:(...and she had to rush to the hospital. Her finger healed fast, but because it was cut short, it looked (and still looks) weird after healing. She found the other half of her finger 1 week later at home. Her cat was sniffing it under the sofa. :eek:

This happened about 3 years ago. My poor aunt still has a short finger, and we all still laugh about her cat finding it! :o

Poor lady at Wendy's though...he he he. I don't think I will ever consider eating there now.

Johanna and Slick...you are TOO funny!!!! :D He he he!

RICHARD
03-24-2005, 01:09 PM
DON'T PUT THAT FINGER IN YOUR MOUTH, YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE IT'S BEEN.

--------------------------------------------------------
Does a woman with 9 fingers get a 10% discount at her nail appointments???`:rolleyes:

RedHedd
03-24-2005, 01:22 PM
This story also reminded me of the first time I made corned beef and cabbage. While slicing the cabbage with a HUGE butcher's knife (my husband loved to cook and had all this neat cooking stuff), I accidentally sliced off the tip of my middle finger. Hubby rushed me to the ER, but had to go back home to retrieve the tip of my finger. It was successfully reattached, however I walked around for several weeks with *that* finger bandaged in the upright/extended position :rolleyes: It healed perfectly and you can't tell anything ever happened to it, however I can't make corned beef & cabbage without thinking about my "first time."

RICHARD
03-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
It healed perfectly and you can't tell anything ever happened to it, however I can't make corned beef & cabbage without thinking about my "first time."

hmmmm, As long as you didn't put your 'heart' into the dish!:confused:

moosmom
03-24-2005, 01:45 PM
DON'T PUT THAT FINGER IN YOUR MOUTH, YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE IT'S BEEN.

Who SAYS PTers don't have a sense of humor????

slick
03-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Gee, I wonder if the Wendy's customer left a "tip"?? Get it...finger tip?....sorry, it's the best I can do for now.

She found the other half of her finger 1 week later at home. Her cat was sniffing it under the sofa.
Go figure, you spend hundreds of dollars on cat toys and all they want is some silly little widget...I mean, digit! :D

RICHARD
03-24-2005, 07:13 PM
There's something weird about this story...

I just can't put my finger on it.:eek:

Soapets
03-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Maybe they thought they'd try making "digital chili"?

I wonder if the price of their chili will be in the single digits after this event?

Oggyflute
03-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Commenting with some authority, with myself being a bit of a cookie monster. I can assure everyone that chili is not finger food.:D

christa
03-24-2005, 10:04 PM
OMG! That's gross!

CathyBogart
03-24-2005, 11:38 PM
This was right in my area. *shudder* No fast food for me!

PJ's Mom
03-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Ugh! :eek:

I was hoping this would turn out to be some urban legend. Unfortunately, it's true. :eek:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chili.asp

Josh4Colts
03-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Good thing I'm addicted to their chicken nuggets and not the chili!! :eek:

Have you ever tried their homestyle chicken strips.:cool: :cool:

wolflady
03-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by slick
Gee, I wonder if the Wendy's customer left a "tip"?? Get it...finger tip?....sorry, it's the best I can do for now.

Go figure, you spend hundreds of dollars on cat toys and all they want is some silly little widget...I mean, digit! :D

OMG! LOL LOL ROTFL! :D Thanks for the much needed laugh today. I was reading through this thread and couldn't help but laugh at all of these comments. :p

This story sure hits close to home for me! I know where that Wendy's IS! :eek:
Gives new meaning to "lady fingers", eh? :eek:

cookieluver7
03-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck!!!!!!!!! OMG can you imagine eating your meal and all of the sudden you bite into a FINGER??? EEWWW! That'd be soooo gross!!!

Abby

cloverfdx
03-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the much needed laugh today :D LMAO.

joycenalex
03-27-2005, 06:27 AM
wendys' management, locally, has been known for giving the finger to employees' but this is a bit much:eek: :cool: :rolleyes:

Josh4Colts
03-27-2005, 07:45 AM
I bet that was one joint she never thought would be in her mouth.;) ;) Get it???

Kevin Farmer
03-27-2005, 08:47 PM
:pWE'VE GOT SOME REAL SICKOS HERE..... :D this was so funny:D

Pit Chick
03-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Because of its slightly longer than average length and neat grooming, it may have belonged to a woman

Now wait a minute, they really need to further investigate this before pointing any fingers.

oopps, just noticed this joke was already used. :o

caseysmom
03-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Wendy's has started a new ad campaign

"our chili's flavor is now digitally enhanced"

RICHARD
04-08-2005, 11:49 AM
The woman had a search warrant executed at her home yesterday. There is a film clip of her fighting with the cops in front of her home...

how do you spell extortion??:eek:

jennifert9
04-08-2005, 11:52 AM
I heard that too Richard! They seem to think she planted the finger and that she took it from her deceased aunt...

Crazy!!:D

IRescue452
04-08-2005, 12:00 PM
When did they start making the Dahmer special? I'd think that would be more common here in Wisconsin. Good thing I don't eat Wendy's food.

wolflady
04-08-2005, 02:22 PM
For anyone keeping up with this story, here is an update (http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=3184202&nav=3w6oYRLr).

Caution: picture of finger pieces included...!!! :eek:

If this woman planted the finger, that is just plain disgusting! :eek: Honestly, the things people do for money...and trying to frame a restaurant is just sad.

:confused:

RICHARD
04-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by wolflady

If this woman planted the finger, that is just plain disgusting! :eek: Honestly, the things people do for money...and trying to frame a restaurant is just sad.

:confused:

I would have settled for some free food coupons. ;)

Can you imagine the nerve of cutting off a relative's finger?

"She ain't gonna use it anyway...."

FREAK!!!!

wolfsoul
04-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Uggh...Makes me cringe. If I ever bit into a human finger, boy, would I ever sue. I'd be in shock for life.

IRescue452
04-09-2005, 09:13 AM
I don't think I'd sue, Wendy's had no idea it was there. I'd take a small settlement though if they offered. I'm not sue happy as I think those rediculous law suits get straightened out in the end if ya know what I mean.

catnapper
04-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Ick... if it is a relative's finger... couldn't they get DNA from it? Or do I watch too much CSI? ;)

lbaker
04-09-2005, 12:23 PM
She "planted" the finger? Was she trying to grow a new relative? bodies don't grow too well in chili, or so I've heard, never actually tried it though ;)

slick
04-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Gee, I was going to serve chili at the BBQ..... ;) :D

CamCamPup33
04-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Oh gross!!

I just had chili from wendy's the other night too. I always look in my fries from mcdonalds to make sure there is no "fried lizards". Now i have to watch my chili..

Ickkkkk! :eek:

lbaker
04-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey, YOUSE GUYS.. where I come from when we "plants someone" we PLANTS EM' Know wadda mean?

slick
04-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by lbaker
Hey, YOUSE GUYS.. where I come from when we "plants someone" we PLANTS EM' Know wadda mean?
Does that mean you have a "green thumb?" :D