PDA

View Full Version : I saw the neatest adoption center!

Jayna78
03-23-2005, 11:55 PM
The other day, as we were exploring what will become our regular PetSmart once we move into our new house, we decided to visit the kitties up for adoption in the Luv-A-Pet Center there (of course!). This was our first visit to this particular PetSmart, and we were just wowed by this adoption center and the rescue group's efforts!

Instead of the regular adoption center that you normally see (and that 3 of our 4 cats, as well as 1 of my mom's 2 came from), none of these cats were in cages - they each had their respective cage, complete with an animal print softpad liner and matching kitty bed in each cage - however, they were all roaming free. This organization is called Open Door Animal Sanctuary, and they're great - they allow the cats to hang out in the adoption room much like they would in their future home or in their foster home - there were tall towers for them to sleep and climb and scratch on, as well as various beds outside of their cages. There was also a volunteer sitting in there spending time with them - just hanging out - they always have someone there during store hours. I thought it was just the neatest thing, and their adoption fee was much in line with most rescue groups' adoption fees, including the same things, etc.

I just wish that more rescue groups could afford to keep a setup like that going - it was just perfect, and all the kitties seemed so much more comfortable than a lot of them do in the regular cage adoption centers. It was just a cat-lover's dream! :) Just thought I'd share how neat that place was with all of you. :)

krazyaboutkatz
03-24-2005, 12:18 AM
This sure sounds great. I'm sure that the cats feel less stressed out too.:)

Jayna78
03-24-2005, 12:28 AM
We sure thought they looked relaxed! :) My husband and I just melted when we saw how homey it was for those cute cats. There were some sweeties in there too! If only....well, we can't really afford more right now b/c of all of the house expenses we are going to incur, as well as my part-time working/job-searching situation! :) It's hard not to want more, though, considering how happy the four of ours have made us! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-24-2005, 04:14 AM
That sounds like a heaven-on-earth for cats!! Is it in St.Charles?

He he, do I hear nr 5 coming (in the future ;) )??:) :D

catmandu
03-24-2005, 11:20 AM
There is a nice one,in Super Pets,in Burlington,where the Cats can come,out and see you,and you can pet,the Bolder Cats,and interact,with them.My Friend Rose,took a 6 Towed Cat,as she liked,theway,that he was so bold,and friendly.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos418.jpg

RedHedd
03-24-2005, 11:52 AM
The San Francisco SPCA has a set-up like that. It's SO nice! Each kitty actually has its own little "condo" with real furniture; some even have TV's! Glad to see other adoption centers are going to the same sort of set-up.

Jayna78
03-24-2005, 07:16 PM
It was so cute. They were free to roam about as they wanted. It was in Chesterfield, which is in the westernmost part of West County in St. Louis. :) There is great shopping over there, and it's only minutes from our house! :)

Number 5 will have to wait a long while until we can afford stuff - we have lots of furniture, etc., to buy first, and we're taking 3 of 4 to the vet Monday, as I posted in a separate thread, so we're going to be broke! :)

I wouldn't rule it out somewhere down the line, though.

Today, I saw many cats for adoption at our regular PetSmart through the group we adopted Leo & Claudia (& Mom's cat Belle) from - they were so sweet! I really hope they all find great homes.