PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear...what to do? Opinions please?

QueenScoopalot
03-23-2005, 07:51 PM
The surprise birth of four newborns this morning put me in a tizzy to say the least! :rolleyes: Tabby mom had two babies go to another mom (who I know is a sweetie) and her 4 babies born on Sunday. Otherwise chances are they'd be dead. Welcome to Spring...the baby boom's here. :rolleyes: :eek: Upstairs mom now has her four, plus two newbies, and the Surprise mom has two. All are doing very well, and warmed up and nursing. I contemplated removing the 2 given to 'upstairs mom', and returning them to their birth mom. Out of the six pack...the only two hissers are the new moms!!!! :eek: I'm unsure how to deal with all this now, as all 8 babies are doing very well. :confused: Not to mention, it's very difficult to tell the newest two, from the upstairs mom's own! Too many twins, and all tabbies of various colors. Any opinions? FeLV/FIV is not a concern from either of the areas the moms came from BTW. ;)

jenluckenbach
03-23-2005, 08:01 PM
If you think the new mom can handle all 4 of her own (or you can really watch that she is able to care for them) I'd say give them back and then litters would be more equal and neither mom will have too many kittens to nurse.

MULTICATMOM
03-23-2005, 08:25 PM
is the downstairs kitty wild? could you get near them if you choose to? she should have enough milk for ll 4...

QueenScoopalot
03-23-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm really not entirely sure of downstairs mom's disposition as of yet. She's very frightened, but not in attack mode. Upstairs mom is very proud, and not a novice, her nipples were pre-used, but I was the lucky one to cut off umbilical cords, and placentas. :rolleyes: Downstairs mom let one of her two fall below, and I placed it back with mom, and plunked the litterpan on top of the opening to prevent further falls. ;) The thing is..all are very content, so I'm wondering if I'm upsetting things by moving the newbies back with their own mama? :confused: Both cats are good body weight, and getting extra nutrients. Arghh. I guess I don't want to find out the hard way, that the new mom is really feral, and not be able to handle her newborns easily. :( And upstairs mom had 5....but one's at RB. :( Descisions, descisions.

Grace
03-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Just an opinion, remembering that you are the expert in these matters. If everyone seems comfy and content right now, I would leave them where they are.

rg_girlca
03-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Jan, if you feel that everything is going very well with they way it is, then I would just leave it. You would hate to move the 2 babies and then find out that the mama cat lands up rejecting them.
Trust your judgement Jan, I do. :)

Can't wait to see PPPIIIICCCCTTTUUURRRREEEEESSSSS!!!!!!! (HINT, HINT.)

Please keep us posted on the situation.

Rest in Peace little one.

QueenScoopalot
03-23-2005, 09:01 PM
LORRAINE...SEND BATTERIES!!! :D :D :D

doolittleky
03-23-2005, 09:08 PM
I will I will! LOL If I had them, i actually need them for my camera too! LOL
Melissa
I am anxiously awaiting pics of newborns and others!

rg_girlca
03-23-2005, 09:36 PM
OKAY JAN, THEY ARE ON THE WAY!!!! :D

moosmom
03-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Jan,

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. As long as both Moms are a healthy weight and not pushing any of the babies away, and everyone is getting their fair share of moo juice, let 'em be. But, that is only my opinion.

Boy do you have YOUR hands full!!! :eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Jan,

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. As long as both Moms are a healthy weight and not pushing any of the babies away, and everyone is getting their fair share of moo juice, let 'em be. But, that is only my opinion.

Boy do you have YOUR hands full!!! :eek:

Couldn't have said it better!

Most of us, of course, would be coming to you for advice like this. ;)

QueenScoopalot
03-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Well I went and 'upset the apple cart'! :rolleyes: Colostrum was an issue that crossed my mind, and I decided it best for the two extra babies to receive that from their birth mother. ;) Colostrum's only produced for (I think) three days, and this duo wasn't going to get any from upstairs mom who birthed on Sun. No complaints from either mom cat. ;)

catnapper
03-24-2005, 11:48 AM
You could just send al babies to me -- I need to fill out my tabby color pallette. :D

catland
03-24-2005, 01:11 PM
I'd keep them as they are. Kittens identify their own nipple with their scent and that's where they want to nurse. I don't think they'll care - and the mom's maternal instinct is so strong that they don't know the difference.