PDA

View Full Version : What will make dog food tasty for Disney?

jazzcat
03-23-2005, 01:33 PM
She's not eating much and she is already too thin. I've tried soaking her dry food with water, that worked for a while, then a little broth, that worked for a while and now mixing it with wet food but she just hasn't eaten much for the past two days. The vet suggested the broth and wet food trick but nothing else. Also, she isn't drinking enough water.

Any suggestions?

She still loves her Milk Bone treats and I've increased them the past two days but it's not enough for her.

Other than not eating much she is about the same.

bckrazy
03-23-2005, 01:43 PM
what kind of kibble are you feeding her? She might just be holding out for treats or she could be telling you to switch kibbles :p.. also, if you are freefeeding, stop. Give her 2-3 meals a day, set down her bowl and if she doesnt eat within 10-20 minutes, pick it up and put it away. You could also try mixing in a little bit of hamburger meat, a small amount of melted cheese, or whatever she likes best. If she really isn't eating and is losing weight, you might want to feed her mostly hamburger and rice with kibble mixed in, until she gains more weight.

My sister has a small Chi mix who is also very finicking about her food, but her favorite treat mixed in along with controlled feedings works well for her. I hope Disney starts eating well! I'm sure a lot of other PT-ers have way better advice ;)

As far as drinking water, she definitely needs to stay hydrated... try playing ball with her, and taking her on a brisk walk, then offering her water. Maybe add ice cubes to here water to make it cooler and more appealing?

jazzcat
03-23-2005, 01:51 PM
bckrazy - thanks for the advice. Disney was on prescription food from the vet to try to help her mind but she didn't do well on it and has been back on Nutro Max for seniors/arthritis. She's been doing okay on it but because of her condition (Alzheimer's basically) she forgets to eat or has no interest. Unfortunately she's really not able to work or play up a thrist anymore. She's 13+ years old and not well. She doesn't even beg for people food anymore but she does remember that after I eat dinner she gets a Milk Bone - probably because it's been a nightly habit all her life.

I've seen some kind of Gravy in a bottle at PetsMart - has anyone tried that before?

tatsxxx11
03-23-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Lori:( I was going to mention many of the suggestions already posted:) Definitely try ground hamburger and rice or cooked chicken and rice and see if she likes that. Does Disney like cheese, liverwurst or peanut butter? You might try adding a little of something like that to her kibble. Switching foods (gradually) might help too and definitely try stopping free feeding if that's what you've been doing. She might not be working up an appetite. I'd continue to add a couple of tablespoons of water or broth to each feeding, especially if she continues to refuse water. There are also some flavored doggie waters available; maybe she'd like them. Please eat and drink for your Mommy, Disney! We're all worried about you, sweetheart! Let us know how she's doing, Lori. Hugs and kisses to you Disney! Love, Sandra

PJ's Mom
03-23-2005, 02:14 PM
How about peanut butter? I haven't met a dog who doesn't like peanut butter. ;) Have you tried any of those doggie gravy's that are on the market now? Maybe even a low-sodium people gravy might do the trick.

Disney, you have to start eating, sweetie! We love you and worry a lot about you. :)

EDIT: I see all of my suggestions have already been said by others. Sorry. :o

jazzcat
03-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks Sandra. I don't exactly free feed her. I give her a measured amount in the morning and leave it there for her to eat when she wants. Sometimes she eats it all and others she nibbles during the day. That had been working okay but maybe it would be better to break it up into at least two smaller feedings. It's just sometimes she doesn't want to eat right when I feed her but she will go back in an hour or two and eat. Usually all her food is gone by dinner time and then she gets her evening treat.

Yesterday she didn't eat any of the kibble so I gave her some canned food around 4 in the afternoon and she ate a little of it. Today she's only eaten a bite or two.:( I think I will go cook her up some chicken and rice.

I think she might do better on mostly canned food with just a little dry, especially since she has lost so many teeth. Any suggestions on what kind is best and do you think this is a wise change? I've never wanted to feed her canned food because she has always had such bad teeth and needed the dry to help clean them. I don't think that is as big of an issue now.

jazzcat
03-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
How about peanut butter? I haven't met a dog who doesn't like peanut butter. ;) Have you tried any of those doggie gravy's that are on the market now? Maybe even a low-sodium people gravy might do the trick.

How much Peanut Butter should I give her? I know she likes that, or she used too. She weighs around 9 pounds or a little under.

tatsxxx11
03-23-2005, 02:38 PM
I don't think you'd need much, Lori. Just start with a teaspoon added to her food to see if it will entice her to eat. Or let her lick a little off your finger first and then set down her bowl with a little PB added. I'm not sure what a good food would be for an older, smaller dog Lori. Lots of great senior formulas out there, ones for pups with all sorts of issues, e.g. allergies, digestive troubles, etc. If you have a good specialty pet store that carries those ultra premium foods by you, I'd ask the manager for suggestions. They usually know a lot about the different products available. Does Disney like cottage cheese? You might try that. It has a high water content in it as well.

Queen of Poop
03-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Since she forgets to eat perhaps you need to make her food smell really good. I keep the juice from cooking hamburger and put it over Sasha's kibble as an enticement to get her to eat. Just a tablespoon is all it takes to peak her interest. The rest of the juice goes into the fridge until the next mealtime, then I warm it, and give her a spoonful.

lute
03-23-2005, 02:49 PM
if none of that works try the iams savory sauce. Beanie use to be thin and he'd only eat if he HAD to. i started usung the savory sauce and he eats it real well now.

Logan
03-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Oh the things we will do to make them eat! Lori, as I've told you before, I go through this with Murphy. Most of the time she acts like she is starving, but don't dare give her a bowl of dry food with nothing on top! LOL!! Scott says that I have made her that way by spoiling her. I say that if she is 15 years old, I'm going to give her whatever she wants. I think she, like Disney, forgets to eat too.

I have tried the Iams Sauces on the dry food. The Goldens liked it, but Murphy turned up her nose. A spoonful of any canned food mixed with the dry is what she wants. I have bought Authority brand at Petsmart and have also used the kind you get at the grocery store when i was in a hurry. For dogs the size of mine, it can get expensive. But with Disney, you should be ok using just a little at a time.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be!

Logan

shutterbug0303
03-23-2005, 03:12 PM
We've had some problems with Sahara eating prescription food for her skin so the vet recommended these products to put on there. Just enough to hid the "smell" for them

Ketchup, parmegan (sp?) cheese, yogurt (low fat/not flavored)

These are some things that are in the house (probably).

Best of luck...I hope Disney responds to something for you

aly
03-23-2005, 03:17 PM
When Reece wasn't eating, I soaked his food in broth and warmed it up. Then I mushed it all together and drzzled a small amount of melted peanut butter on top. Phew, never seen him eat so fast when he ate that!

I hope you can find something to encourage sweet Disney to eat.

jazzcat
03-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Thank you all so much.

Aly, LOL! That is quite an interesting meal!!

I just now tried the Peanut Butter and she just stood there like she didn't even smell it. I spread some on a slice of bread and folded it over and took a bite and then she was interested as long as it was my sandwich. She ate a few bites and then started pacing again.

I called over to my vet and he suggested Gatoraide to keep her hydrated. He said sometimes they will love the flavor and will be willing to drink it.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and help. :)

aly
03-23-2005, 03:28 PM
He suggested Gatorade? I've always just used Pedialyte. I wonder if he wanted her to get the extra sugar in Gatorade?

Keep trying different mixtures and I'm sure you'll find something. You might want to try warming it in the microwave too because that makes it stinkier.

PJ's Mom
03-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Queen of Poop
I keep the juice from cooking hamburger and put it over Sasha's kibble as an enticement to get her to eat.

I've done this too...or I've used a teaspoon of bacon grease. (although that's not the healthiest way to go)

mruffruff
03-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Try the water from a can of tuna.

My dog Bear (RB) was diabetic and HAD to eat so he could get his insulin shot. A sprinkle of garlic powder (not salt) worked sometimes. Or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. The liquid from a can of cat food really got his attention!

Older dogs lose their sense of smell sometimes, so the stinkier the better.

I also would mix water with cheap canned dog food and pour it over his kibble.

If your dog has few teeth, she might be better off with canned food. Maybe set up a schedule of three meals a day, where you sit with her to encourage that she eats enough. Don't leave it down for her in between.

Mary

Ginger's Mom
03-23-2005, 03:48 PM
When my first dog got real sick and stopped eating, the vet tech suggested a jar of baby food, just to get her interested in eating again. I gave her some that night (she was so sick I had to give it to her by spoon, rather than in her dish). But then I the next day I mixed some with her food, and in a few days she was back to eating her own dog food again.

Chica
03-23-2005, 07:04 PM
HI, I GIVE CHICA A LITTLE BIT OF BABY FOOD IN HER KIBBLE. IT WORKS GREAT! I GET GERBER CHICKEN, OR TURKEY, OR BEEF ONLY AND ADD A LITTLE WARM WATER. STIR IT UP AND YOUR DOG WILL LOVE IT! :D

Shelteez2
03-23-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm going to second everyone's parmasean cheese, yogurt, canned dog food, and chicken broth as well as add canned baby food.
One senior dog I babysit sometimes goes off her food and I can usually get her to eat it by adding the baby food (different meat varieties) into her food. Sometimes I do have to hand feed her the whole meal as well.

I agree that you should try to make it as smelly as possible, and then try hand feeding it to her.

Good luck.

joycenalex
03-23-2005, 08:13 PM
how about some small amounts of a premium canned cat food mixed into the kibble, works like magic with alex.

jazzcat
03-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone! With all these suggestions I'm bound to find a few things that will strike her fancy, or her nose.

PJ's Mom
03-23-2005, 11:03 PM
I hope so. I also hope you'll keep us updated. :)

tatsxxx11
03-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Forgot to mention the baby food!:D Worked great with my RB Jing when she first became ill. And slightly warming jer food might help too...with a decreased sense of smell, the warmed food is much more enticing. And dogs DO love catfood!:D But only small amts....too high a protein content for dogs on a regular basis:) How's Disney doing today?:confused:

jazzcat
03-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Disney is doing okay today. I was gone most the day so I put her dry food out this morning and she just walked away. I gave her the last of the canned food heated and she ate that but it wasn't much. Now that I'm home I gave her some dry with warm beef broth and sprinked parmesan cheese on top and she was very pleased.

I think feeding her at least twice with smaller amounts and all these great additive suggestions will help.

I'm off to the store tonight to buy all the ingredients, LOL. Hubby is going to laugh when he sees the grocery list.

PJ's Mom
03-24-2005, 05:03 PM
That's good to hear. :)