PDA

View Full Version : How to handle those anoying telephone solicitors....

LauraT7
03-22-2005, 11:40 PM
As often happens on a weeknight, the phone rang and Jon picked it up first. We had been having Tacos for dinner, and I had wet hands ( I was doing dishes), while Fizz was begging the last bites of hamburger and cheese from the remainder of Jon's dinner.

Expecting it to be Grandma calling, I waited for Jon to call out for me to pick up the phone - but instead, after a moment or two, he came back to the kitchen and said, "there's this guy on the phone with a foreign accent who wants to talk to you - he asked for "Mr or Mrs Taubein" (a bad mispronunciation of our name) but he thought at first that I was "Mr Taubein" and not a kid, do you want to talk to him? i bet it's a salesman. "

As I have told Jon often; if someone calls with a difficult accent, and can't pronounce our very simple name, and isn't aware that there hasn't been an adult "Mr." in our household for over ten years, then it's a telephone solicitor, and no, I DON'T want to talk to him - so hang up!

So Jon went back to the living room to hang up the phone, and burst out laughing -

there was Fizz, lovingly licking and slurping the phone mouthpiece, and the man on the other end was questioning, "Sir? excuse me, Sir? are you there?"

When Jon managed to control himself enough to grab the phone from Fizz - he just hung it up - but I bet THAT salesman will never call here again! LOL!

Laura, Jon and our goofy, kissy girl - Fizz!

aly
03-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Hehehe, that is so funny! Thanks for sharing that cute story :D

LuvGold00
03-22-2005, 11:50 PM
HAHAH! Good girl Fizz! :)

Oggyflute
03-23-2005, 12:44 AM
:D That's one way to handle them.:D

Soapets
03-23-2005, 05:20 AM
He he he he......Way to go, Fizz!:D

pitc9
03-23-2005, 08:05 AM
Hey, that's a great idea!
Next time someone like that calls me, I'm going to put peanutbutter on the phone to make my dogs lick the phone!

Ha Ha Ha!!!

LKPike
03-23-2005, 08:08 AM
lol! leave it to the puppers ;)

vinjashira
03-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Good one, Fizz! :D

Logan
03-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Ha Ha!!!!! :) That's a great story, Laura!!!! :D

Pit Chick
03-23-2005, 02:50 PM
I've left it up to my dogs to handle telemarketers too. When I saw unavailable on the caller ID I picked up the phone and ran into the living room where all the dogs were crated. That got them all excited and started barking like crazy very loudly as I held out the phone. :D :D Whenever they pronounce my name wrong, I say no one by that name lives here. Then there are the times when I answer in spanish "bueno.....bueno?" After saying hello a couple of times they give up and hang up. I'm doomed the day one of them actually speaks spanish. :eek:

wolflady
03-23-2005, 02:51 PM
LOL LOL Thanks for the laugh this afternoon! :D
**hugs**

ramanth
03-23-2005, 02:57 PM
LOL!!! I like that idea. :D

anna_66
03-23-2005, 05:07 PM
What a great story! I'll have to remember that next time:D

KYS
03-23-2005, 06:52 PM
LOL! What a great idea to handle phone solicitors.

schteve_d
03-23-2005, 07:22 PM
I've never thought of letting the dogs handle it! I always tell tele-marketers that I am really busy at the moment, but if they give me their home number, I'd be happy to call them back. Of course, they always respond that they are not allowed (or do not want) to give out their home phone numbers. I then ask if that is because they don't want to be bothered at home. This usually ends the conversation rather quickly!:D

Suki Wingy
03-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Pit Chick
Then there are the times when I answer in spanish "bueno.....bueno?" After saying hello a couple of times they give up and hang up. I'm doomed the day one of them actually speaks spanish. :eek:
My step dad's last name is a very comon spanish name, so we always get them calling, "Bueno, puedo hablar con tu Mama o Papa?" Sometimes to confuse them I say, "No, puede hablar con ellos porque no intienden EspaƱol."

IRescue452
03-24-2005, 07:53 AM
lol. Autumn just lets out her best bark into the receiver. There is a growing number of telemarketers who are deaf in one ear.

Daisy and Delilah
03-24-2005, 01:09 PM
What a great story!!!!!! Fizz is beautiful!!!

Terry, Daisy, and Delilah:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Whenever I hear it is a salesman on the phone, I always interupt them with "not interested!!"
Ha ha, that was a hilaric story!!

NoahsMommy
03-24-2005, 02:05 PM
ha ha!! That is too funny!!! :D