PDA

View Full Version : Inking/coloring tutorial

slleipnir
03-22-2005, 08:38 PM
People have asked me before how I do my drawings and such. I've ment to do a tutorial for a while but never got around to it. Well, I finally did a basic tutorial. I haven't re-read it, and I'm not known for EVER making sense. Let me know (if you even bother with it) if it makes sense.

HUGE IMAGE WARNING:
700k image.
Click for tutorial (http://www.tainted-sky.net/draw/ink_colortut.jpg)

I didn't go into A LOT of details...figured no one would really care anyway

flamepony12
03-22-2005, 08:51 PM
ohh cool, thanks! The finished product of the lion is so cute :D

Doggirl
03-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Oh, thank you so much! I need this tutorial, I'm terrible at inking
and such, this just made life a whole lot easier, thanks!

slleipnir
03-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Hope it can be of some help!

cali
03-22-2005, 09:42 PM
lol ok so I thought I would give it a try, this is crappy I know but I was just getting used to the layers thing, I used a differnt program which has several typs of layers lol so I was trying to foger out how the heck the stupid layers worked lol I also had to scrap the pen tool as the on ein my program does NOT bend in any way shap or form, it makes straight lines from a single point and nothing else lol

slleipnir
03-22-2005, 09:52 PM
That's awesome!

For the pen tool, you have to click and hold to bend it, if you drop it first it won't work

flamepony12
03-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the tutorial! I tried it out by adding more details to my first drawing of Keiko.

Before:

flamepony12
03-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Here it is after I put all the shades in. :)

After:

dukedogsmom
03-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Hey, I had an idea. Could you send me that pic of Flair and Duke that you had done before you colored it? Maybe I could practice on that? If I can find the time to. I would love to learn how to do this and you've just made it a lot easier. I really need to understand the layers. They get me all confuzzled.

cali
03-23-2005, 11:16 AM
For the pen tool, you have to click and hold to bend it, if you drop it first it won't work

I just went to try that, nope it still makes straight lines only, and does not bend at all, I tryed all sorts of differnt thing to make it bent but nope, it makes straight lines or no lines :( oh one more question, I dont undertsnad HOW to shade, in my program it either coveres with an entiry new colour and you will never see the other colour again, or the other stuff wont touch the other layers.

slleipnir
03-23-2005, 11:21 AM
What program do you use??

That's weird...about the pen tool. What were you using for that? Like program/ Version or w/e

slleipnir
03-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Hey, I had an idea. Could you send me that pic of Flair and Duke that you had done before you colored it? Maybe I could practice on that? If I can find the time to. I would love to learn how to do this and you've just made it a lot easier. I really need to understand the layers. They get me all confuzzled.

Send you a PM

cali
03-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I am useing PSP 8

slleipnir
03-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Hmm, I haven't used PSP in a while but...

The layers, I'm pretty sure, work the same way.

I just tried a few things out in PSP...

I'm not sure I know what you mean though? The layers do work the same way, and the draw tool works the same as the pen tool more or less.

I'm assuming your problem IS with the layers. To shade, you want to make sure you use the same layer as the basecolr (OR you can make a new layer above it) If the layer is below the basecolor, nothing will show up.

cali
03-23-2005, 03:58 PM
k I gave this another try, I still cant use the pen tool, and I have no draw tool, I have a pen tool it just does not band at all lol for the layers, this is just the first time I have ever done anything with layers, I barly knew they existed befiore so I am still a bit confused about them lol