PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever visited an ocean?

jenluckenbach
03-22-2005, 04:40 PM
I always wondered about people who live quite a distance from an ocean.......have they ever been to see the wonder of the great expanse of water??

I live 4 hours drive from my favorite beach so I have seen the Atlantic ocean many times. I take it for granted.

slick
03-22-2005, 04:46 PM
Well, living in beautiful Vancouver, BC, I can get to the ocean in 30 min. Oddly enough, I never go to the beaches though. It's too crowded and you can never find parking.

Last July we took Zippy to see the Pacific Ocean for the first time. Would like to see her comments on that.

NoahsMommy
03-22-2005, 04:46 PM
I've visited both the pacific (20 minutes away) and the atlantic (other side of the country from me).

:)

Desert Arabian
03-22-2005, 04:51 PM
I visited the Pacific Ocean when I went to California, I was only around 3/4 years old and barely remember a thing!

I visited the Atlantic Ocean back in 2002 when we went to Cape Hatteras, North Carolina! That I do remember, and it was a blast!

slleipnir
03-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Being on a small island, I'm surrounded by water lol

dukedogsmom
03-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Audrey, you forgot already??

Lexi_Lover
03-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Yes, but I don't knwo which one! :o

chrissycat21
03-22-2005, 04:59 PM
I've been to the Pacific Ocean and Atlantic Ocean. :D

RedHedd
I grew up next to San Francisco's Ocean Beach, so yes .... I feel SO blessed to live where I do. I've also seen the Atlantic when I visited New York about 10 years ago.

slleipnir
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Audrey, you forgot already??

Forgot what? lol

Lexi_Lover
03-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
Forgot what? lol

LOL, the ocean you live in! :p

Edwina's Secretary
03-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Do seas count? I've been to the Atlantic and live two miles from the Pacific right now. I've been to the Carribbean, Agean, Med., Adriatic.

slleipnir
03-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Unfortunatly I don't live IN the ocean....and I didn't forget. I just never knew :(

The Atlantic

Lexi_Lover
03-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Well, LOL, I know you don't live IN the ocean, but like around. Sorry, :p it was misworded! :D

slleipnir
03-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
Well, LOL, I know you don't live IN the ocean, but like around. Sorry, :p it was misworded! :D

Sureee ;D

dukedogsmom
03-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Um, Audrey, you visited our dog beach...........You already blocked that long drive out of your mind, huh?

Lillycat
03-22-2005, 05:08 PM
the atlantic & pacific oceans and the mediterranean sea

Uabassoon
03-22-2005, 05:09 PM
I've seen the Atlantic ocean, I went to South Padre a lot growing up since I lived near there. I also went to Caracas beach in Trinidad, West Indies. I've seen the Pacific when I went to San Carlos, Mexico.

slleipnir
03-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Um, Audrey, you visited our dog beach...........You already blocked that long drive out of your mind, huh?

lol. I know, Ididn't forget, I was just referring to where I live

QueenScoopalot
03-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Every day! I live two blocks from the Atlantic..and drive by the scenic route daily. I can never get enough of the beauty of the ocean, especially when it's very stormy. :D I've also been to the Gulf of Mexico (that side of Florida). :)

Luvin Labs
03-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf Of Mexico...

:)

popcornbird
03-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Of course! I see the Pacific Ocean alllllll the time! I've seen the Atlantic Ocean many times, both from the US, and from England. I've been to the Arabian Sea, Persian Gulf, and to the Red Sea. Been to LOTS of coasts in this world!

davidpizzica
03-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Pittsburgh is about 300 miles from the Atlantic ocean and about 2500 from he Pacific. However, about 25 years ago, m father and I flew to California and I got to put my hand in the Pacific!

kuhio98
03-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Pacific, Atlantic and Arctic brrrrrrrrrrr

Suki Wingy
03-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Atlantic
Pacific
as well as
Gufl of Mexico
Gulf of California/ Sea of Cortez (it has 2 names)

GraciesMommy
03-22-2005, 06:02 PM
I live 40 min from Galveston so go to the beach quite often
We lived at Galveston for about 6 months. Right on the SeaWall

lizbud
03-22-2005, 06:24 PM
I've visited both Atlantic and the Pacific coasts. Also the
Caribbean. I love the beach & the water.:)

joycenalex
03-22-2005, 07:12 PM
i've seen the atlantic, got in ( cold!!!) , been to the gulf of mexico, got in, (warm) and seeing the pacific is on my list of things to do. i go to lake michigan pretty regularly, so the salt water was a surprise to me.

GraciesMommy
03-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Forgot about the 3 cruises I have been on!!

RICHARD
03-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by slick

Last July we took Zippy to see the Pacific Ocean for the first time. Would like to see her comments on that.

And the water is polluted still.....................;)

She also said it looked bigger than it did on the map!!!:confused:

sammy101
03-22-2005, 07:32 PM
I've been to the Pacific,Atlantic oceans.:)

catnapper
03-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Well, we've been to the Jersey shore a million times! I've been on two cruises. One to Bermuda, Cuba, etc, another to the US Virgin Islands. I can't get over the difference in the water color. ITs so BLUE! And we have icky olive green/black water over in Jersey.

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-22-2005, 07:45 PM
I have never been to an ocean, althought I could easily since I go to BC every year lol. I'd like to see one someday though....

Cincy'sMom
03-22-2005, 07:46 PM
I have been to the Atlantic and the Pacific...the Pacific, I saw in San Diego, and the Atlantic, in Florida. I've also been in the Gulf both in Florida, and in Mexico

carole
03-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Even though we live inland, we are only 45 mins away from the nearest ocean beach, other beaches are around one and a half to two hours away, small country so it is not far to any seaside location.:)

shutterbug0303
03-22-2005, 09:25 PM
I live about 5 mins from the Atlantic ocean, so I see it ALL the time! :D I do take it for granted and really enjoy the times I can just sit and stare.

I've also been to the Gulf of Mexico :D but never the Pacific

schteve_d
03-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Having lived on Vancouver Island for years I spent a great deal of time at or in the Pacific Ocean, and now that I'm away from it, I miss it terribly at times! I also spent two months travelling around the entire East Coast of Canada and some of the States so I have some "Atlantic experience" as well!

cocker_luva
03-22-2005, 10:59 PM
i went to the dominican a year ago, on the atlantic side

krazyaboutkatz
03-23-2005, 12:34 AM
Both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.:) The Atlantic sure is much warmer though.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-23-2005, 07:12 AM
I've been to the Atlantic many times, after all I do Live in Florida. I've also been to the Golf of Mexico, again because I live in Florida.

Not an Ocean, but when I lived in New York we spent every summer at Lake Ontario. It's so big that when you're on it it feels like the ocean. It's my favorite place and I miss it there.

ramanth
03-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Atlantic Ocean, visited via New Jersey and Florida, and the Gulf of Mexico.

Been to California and was close to the Pacific Ocean, but didn't visit it.

I live around the Great Lakes, so I swim a lot. :D

Kfamr
03-23-2005, 09:37 AM
I live near the star.. Florida basically IS the ocean. :p
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/pbsuxx/595735c7.jpg
That's the Gulf of Mexico. I've been there plenty of times, have tasted it, have swam in it, wave runner, boating, ect, ect, ect..

I could walk to the ocean. It's about a 5 minute drive.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Several!
1) the Atlantic Ocean (France, and Florida)
2) the Pacific (California), and in Australia
3) Indian Ocean (South Africa) merging with the Atlantic Ocean

The last one was VERY impressive!!
This is Cape Point!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/Afrika%2040.jpg

Samantha Puppy
03-23-2005, 09:55 AM
I live about 3 hours from the Atlantic coastline so I've seen the Atlantic plenty. The only other body of water I've seen is the Gulf of Mexico.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Carribean, Norwegian Sea, North Sea, Mediteranian, Persian Gulf, Arabian Sea,

jennifert9
03-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I've been to the Atlantic when I visited both North Carolina (Cape Hatteras) as a teen and South Carolina (Hilton head) in my early 20s. My brother also used to live in Virginia Beach so I've been there a few times...
I visited California for the first time this past summer and saw the Pacific for the first time. We first saw it outside Los Angelesat Manhattan Beach and it wasn't much to see. There was lots of seaweed in the water and it was just grayish looking.
BUT, a few days later we headed south to San Diego and Mission Beach and it was AMAZING!! The water was so clean, nothing growing in it. You could see your feet even in 10 - 15 feet of water, as well as the sandy bottom. We loved it!! The waves were huge and swimming was so much fun. Until your eyes started burning from the salt....:p

I would love to see Souraya respond to this...she's probably seen every body of water known to man!;)

And KBlaix, Lake Ontario is my backyard! I grew up in Syracuse, NY about 30 minutes from the lake and went to school in Oswego, right on the lake! My favorite body of water in the WORLD, is the St. Lawrence River!! Spent all my summers there and hope to have a vacation spot there someday...

Barbara
03-23-2005, 03:21 PM
The Atlantic on both sides, the Pacific (which I love best in Oregon and Washington :D), the Mediterranean, the Caribbean and the South China Sea, the latter one on a sailing ship:D

MaryJae
03-23-2005, 03:22 PM
I live about 5 minutes from the Beach...the Atlantic Ocean. :D

Buddy Blaze Lover
03-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Yup, we visited the Atlantic when we went on vacation to Florida a long time ago, and we used to live 30 minutes from the beach in California, which was obviously the Pacific.;)

4 Dog Mother
03-23-2005, 07:00 PM
I have seen the Atlantic many times - my parents went to Florida every summer for vacation during my teen years, Carl lived in Melbourne for a year which is very near the ocean just this past year and I went twice to see him. I have also seen the Atlantic from several spots along the East Coast, Boston, Cape Cod, Maine to name a few. The gulf around the Tampa area (before I joined Pet Talk, Kay) and from Galvaston, Texas. When Carl and I were first married, we lived in an apartment is Asbury Park, NJ just 3 blocks from the ocean.

The Pacific I saw several times with my parents and more recently when Carl and I went to San Francisco and with the kids in San Diego.

pitc9
03-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Never....:(

But I live about 7 miles from Lake Erie! (icky...:p )

Laura's Babies
03-31-2005, 04:01 AM
I grew up in Virginia so I have been to the Atlantic Ocean a number of times. Went to San Fransisco and got to see and step in the Pacific Ocean and now live close to the Gulf Of Mexico and have lived in Pensacola, Florida on the gulf. (I spend a lot of time on the water at work but not on any ocean)

gkristian
03-31-2005, 08:10 PM
when we lived in Sydney, Australian our house was about 5 min walk to the beach, but now where in hobart, tasmania adn the beach is still very close (only about 20min walk), but the only difference is that the water is colder down here

Karen
03-31-2005, 08:45 PM
I grew up in Massachusetts, lived here my whole life, so have spent a lot of time in the Atlantic Ocean swimming and playing, or on it in a boat.

Have seen it on the Gulf of Mexico side, too, on a Florida visit. I have been in the Pacific Ocean off the California Coast, and way out in the middle of the Pacific, swimming in Hawaii, and we drove around the Big Island, so saw it from many many vantage points.

wolfsoul
03-31-2005, 08:52 PM
I go to White Rock almost every year and visit the Pacific Ocean. I don't enjoy the beach though.

Orca
03-31-2005, 09:56 PM
I've been to the Atlantic - my campus is right on the coast. And on a trip to Costa Rica, I went to the Pacific and Caribbean.

Sirrahsim
04-01-2005, 12:36 AM
I visited my husband down in Biloxi when we were still dating and got to see the Gulf of Mexico. That was my first experience with a massive body of water.
Last summer, my husband and I drove to the Izu Peninsula which is on the eastern coast of the main Island Honshu, Japan. The Pacific Ocean is absolutely beautiful from over here, but unfortunately we neglected to check the weather forecast and managed to arrive shortly before a typhoon rolled in :(:o :eek: :( The water was icy cold and there were a ton of surfers taking advantage of the massive waves that the typhoon was sending into the Shimoda area.
The picture below was taken while we were walking along the Shimoda harbor. The weather is so gray because the typhoon was getting closer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/Trip_004.jpg

Lilith Cherry
04-01-2005, 09:33 AM
I've seen the Atlantic from both sides ;UK ( North sea , Irish sea) and USA, Atlantic city. The Pacific from Vancouver and from China, Malaysia ( South China sea, East China Sea) The Indian Ocean (Andaman sea) from Thailand and Gan Island, the Mediterranean from Spain and Cyprus, and the Persian Gulf frpm Bahrain.

Soapets
04-01-2005, 01:11 PM
The first time I ever saw an ocean was when I was in college and my Religion and Life Fellowship (RALF) group went on a "retreat" to Europe. I was a student at Nebraska Wesleyan University in Lincoln, NE. We drove to Chicago and flew to Baltimore, then over the Atlantic Ocean to Luxembourg. It was also the first time I had ever been in an airplane.

Wading in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Italy during that retreat was the first time I actually got close enough to smell and see and feel the saltwater of an ocean or a sea.

I lived in the Boston area for three years, 1987-1990, and made it a point to visit the ocean LOTS of times then. People who live there sometimes take it for granted, and don't seem to appreciate it as much as people who aren't accustomed to it do.

Last summer my husband and son and I went back to Boston on vacation. My son had been born in Boston in 1989, and had visited there again in 1992, but didn't remember the ocean from when he was there when he was real little.

We went deep-sea fishing on the Atlantic Ocean from Gloucester while we were there last summer. It was a lot of fun, and it was fun being a part of that experience with my son. He got to see the hospital he had been born in (Brigham and Women's), and the house we lived in (in Malden) when we first brought him home from the hospital after his birth. He identifies with Boston now, whereas before when we talked about his being born in Boston, it didn't really have much meaning for him. Now he is proud of that fact.