PDA

View Full Version : Just got a phone call....

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-22-2005, 01:51 PM
I hate phone calls like this. :(

My dad took my mom to the hospital this morning - she was having chest pains. 11 years ago - almost to the day - she had a heart attack and had to have 5 bypasses. She has been doing fantastic ever since then but I guess Friday she had chest pains, Saturday she was ok, Sunday she had pains, Monday she was ok, today she had pains again. They said she didn't have a heart attack, but they are keeping her overnight and will do a stress test tomorrow. She goes every year for her annual check-up and I know she has had the stress tests in the past and everything checked out ok.

She walks 5 miles everyday and we all always figured she was the healthiest one of us all. On top of it all, we're supposed to have our annual spa weekend this weekend and she's all worried about that! I told my dad to tell her that's the least of her worries right now. :rolleyes: She also told him not to tell anybody - like we wouldn't want to know? :rolleyes:

Please send out good thoughts, prayers, mantras, or whatever ;) that whatever it is can be fixed with minimal invasion. She absolutely hates the hospital and doctors so I know she's having a tough time with this....and I also know it has her worried or she wouldn't have allowed herself to be admitted to the hospital.

slick
03-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Debbie....:( :( ....I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. Positive thoughts and prayers on the way. You know where I am if you need to talk and I'll be watching for uppydates.

{{{HUGS}}}
slick xoxoxoxoxo

Logan
03-22-2005, 02:06 PM
We will definitely be remembering your mom in our prayers, too, Debbie. I hope everything will be just fine.

Logan

Randi
03-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Oh Debbie, I know how you feel, it's so scary to get these kind of calls. I'm glad your mother went to get checked. I really hope it's nothing serious!

I'm sending lots of positive thoughs for a good recovery - and lots of hugs to you!

pitc9
03-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Prayers and good thoughts heading your way!

*~hugs~* to you and your family.

Queen of Poop
03-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Prayers for a quick recovery for your mom on the way.

CamCamPup33
03-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Prayers on the way.. Hope everything is okay.

:( {{HUGS}}

GraciesMommy
03-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Sure hope things are ok. Prayers and good thought coming your way.

Samantha Puppy
03-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Prayers and good thoughts coming your way...

NoahsMommy
03-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Your mom will be in my prayers, Debbie.

Hugs,
Kelly

Cinder & Smoke
03-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Hi God ~

We need sum HELP down here fur Miz Debbie's MOM -
she's feelin poorly an iz inna Hoppsbittle. :(

Ohhhh...
Angel Tubby already put in a Purrayer Request
fur his GranMom? ~ GREAT!

We'll turn on da Purrayer Kandilz an kross our Pawz & Klawz fur her, too.

Thanks fur Your Help, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
[i]Ohhhh...
Angel Tubby already put in a Purrayer Request
fur his GranMom? ~ GREAT!

Thanks Phred, you always know how to get the water works going. ;)

Thanks so much everyone. No uppydates, just wanted to say thanks. I know the power of PT Prayer and am hoping it pulls through one more time. Don't know how it can't pull through with the Prayer Pups on the job. ;)

popcornbird
03-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Prayers for your mom coming from me too. Hope she feels better soon, Debbie. Keep us updated!

{{{hugs}}}

Killearn Kitties
03-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Oh Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. Fingers crossed that it's nothing serious. She will be in my thoughts.

tatsxxx11
03-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Keeping your Mom in my prayers, Debbie. Hopefully she'll be home soon, feeling well and able to enjoy that spa weekend with you:) {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

lizbud
03-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Your Mom will be in my prayers.

jazzcat
03-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Prayers and good thoughts on the way.

I know how you feel. I went through the same thing with my Mom many, many times. She had a heart attack in 84 right before I started my senior year in high school. When I was at college I would get so mad because she wouldn't let anyone call to tell me when she had problems. After 7 years of chest pains, angina and irregular heartbeats she finally had a pacemaker put in. She did much better after that but anytime her potassium level got low she'd had heart problems and end up in the hospital. Even though it happened so much it never got easier to deal with that initial phone call or, since I was with her so much in the end, the panic of realizing something is wrong.

Please let us know how she is doing.

jenluckenbach
03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Prayers for your mom, and for you too, Debbie.

Edwina's Secretary
03-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Every time the phone rings in the night I get that panic feeling! Debbie....my thoughts are with you and your mom.

Lillycat
03-22-2005, 05:11 PM
debbie.....prayers for you and your family are on the way. keep us posted!

QueenScoopalot
03-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Sending prayers, and well wishes that your mom will be out of the hospital, and off on that spa weekend with the gals! (Assuming it's gals time only:confused: ) Keep us posted....she sounds like a strong woman Deb. ;)

anna_66
03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Debbie I'm really sorry to hear your mom is in the hospital. I'll be keeping her in my thoughts and prayers that they don't have to do anything major to her.

Ginger's Mom
03-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I am so sorry. I know how it is to get those calls. My thoughts and prayers will definitely be with you and your mother. Please keep us updated.

Felicia's Mom
03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
You mother is in my prayers.

catnapper
03-22-2005, 07:17 PM
{{{{HUGS}}}} and tons of prayers headed your way, and to your mother.

I am sorry you got a call like this. But remember its Easter, the time of miracles. I hope and pray your mother will be fine.

joycenalex
03-22-2005, 07:33 PM
((hugs)) to your mom, dad and you. best wishes for a speedy visit.

AbbyMom
03-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Prayers on the way for your mom! Hope she's better soon.

Corinna
03-22-2005, 09:30 PM
hugs and prayers for you.

luvofallhorses
03-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Hugs and prayers to you.

krazyaboutkatz
03-23-2005, 12:27 AM
Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way and your way too. Please keep us updated when you can. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Vio&Juni
03-23-2005, 02:15 AM
I'll think about your mom, Deb. I hope it's a minor problem and she'll be better very soon.

ramanth
03-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Many thoughts, prayers, and healing vibes sent for your mom Debbie.

*HUGS*

I hope she's feeling better and will get to go home soon.

slick
03-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Debbie, any updates??? I'm worried.....:(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by slick
I'm worried.....:(

Me too. :(

I talked to her last night and she seemed fine. Wasn't thrilled about being in the hospital and having to go through all this again, but even she admitted that it's a good thing that she went in and didn't ignore the signs like she did the first time. She seemed bored after having to spend all day in bed so I told her to tell the nurses she wanted some slippers so she could at least go for a walk down the hall or something. I sent her some Easter Lillies to brighten up the room a bit. We talked for about 30 minutes or so, then she had to go because my dad and brother showed up. At least she didn't have to sit there all evening bored out of her mind...she's not much of a TV watcher. It's just really hard because I couldn't be there.

So she's having tests done today. Everytime the phone rings and the caller ID says "cellular call" I dread picking up the phone, expecting the worst. :( I know this is all just routine stuff for the hospital and doctors. They see so many heart patients it's not even funny, but it's different when it's your mother's life on the line.:( She said that they mentioned something about angioplasty...she's still expecting to be released by about noon today....I told her to keep me updated but if I don't hear anything by the time I'm back from lunch I'll be calling them.

She said it was the spa weekend that was her incentive to go in because she didn't want anything really serious to happen there. I say I don't care what the incentive was, as long as she admitted there's a problem and took herself in! Last time she waited too long and almost died because of it....hmmm....maybe that was incentive enough. ;)

So, no real information yet, but I'll let you know when I hear something. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, prayers and support. Kim (Catnapper), I do believe in Easter miracles and that very thought crossed my mind. :) Lori (Jazzcat) after this all sunk in yesterday I immediately thought of you and how you went through this very same thing with your mother. :(

Albea
03-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Debbie, good and healing thoughts going to your Mom and you.
Hope she's well very soon to enjoy the weekend spa.

Randi
03-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Debbie, I will keep sending positive and healing thoughts to your mom. I hope she'll be able to have the spa weekend with you, and get better all the time.

Hugs to you!

Barbara
03-23-2005, 03:27 PM
I send my best thoughts too! I don't think something serious can happen now as she is in the hospital- but it is so good she went. My mom suffers from a heart condition too and she survives with it for 25 years now........ (And she must be older than yours ;))

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Ok, now I'm just frustrated. :mad:

My mom just called from home. She said she had whatever tests this morning. The nurse came in and said the cardiologist would be by to see her - which made her think the worst. Next thing you know the nurse comes in and says you're free to go! They told her nothing about the results of the test or gave her any specific instructions or any nitroglycerin pills or NOTHING - just you're free to go! And she just wanted to get out of there so bad that she didn't question or put up a fuss, just called my dad and told him to high tail it down there! Sometimes she makes me so mad! She says she believes the doc is a very very busy man, like that's some kind of excuse for not giving her answers! I've often wanted to go with her on some of her visits to this guy, just so I could give him a piece of my mind! One time she had questions that she asked and he just blew off her questions and just kept talking about his new sailboat. :rolleyes: :mad: She seems to think if it was something serious they wouldn't have just let her go like that....well....that's not good enough for me. I need to know it's nothing serious. :mad:

So, we're headed to the spa Friday morning. Which is a good thing I suppose, but I'll just be waiting for something to happen while we're there. Guess I'll do an internet search and find out where the nearest hospital is to the spa...... :rolleyes:

I guess this is the frustration I have to deal with because I live here and she lives there, and because, after all, she is a grown woman and is allowed to make her own decisions....but that's only because I'm down here and can't assert my influence more! ;)

lizbud
03-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Debbie,

Can you call your Dad and get the Doctor's number? It would
be so much better if you could talk to him directly. He owes you
all that. {{{HUGS}}} .

Edwina's Secretary
03-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Liz... good idea but don't count on the doctor telling anything. First of all....due to HIPPA he isn't suppose to tell ANYONE anything....privacy act you know.

Secondly....a few years ago my 80+ father had congestive heart failure. He was hospitalized. After his release I felt he was depressed. With the concurrence of my mother, I called the doctor to talk with him about it. He refused to talk with me. Finally, I talked with a nurse and told her my concerns.

The outcome....the doctor told my father I had called and said he was despondent. My father was angry with ME and asked me never to call his doctor again.

So...Debbie...I know your frustration.....

Karen
03-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Oh dear, you and your mom will be in our prayers still. But I'm a patient who asked "Can I go home now?" every time I see the doctor - or any doctor - when I ws in the hospital, so I can't criticize.

anna_66
03-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Even though you don't know all the specifics I'm glad to hear that your mother was well enough to go home.
I hope you can find something out, and I hope you and your mom have a good day at the spa:)

gini
03-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Debbie, I was away for a couple of hours and just saw this thread today.

Please know that you have my prayers for your Mom. I can understand how concerned and frightened you must be.

But, if they have released her - that has to be a good thing..............if they found anything really serious, they would be talking to your Mom and Dad right now - and she wouldn't have been released.

Isn't it interesting that this weekend is your Spa weekend? It will give you some quality time with your Mom and hopefully she can relax and have a good time too.

Big hugs to you Deb.........and know you will have all of our prayers.

Cinder & Smoke
03-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

... don't count on the doctor telling anything.

... due to HIPPA he isn't suppose to tell ANYONE anything...
"privacy act", you know. ...

OH, HOW TRUE!! :rolleyes:

Been There, Done That - MANY TIMES!! :mad:

Deb ~
Best thing to do is have a serious Family Discussion -
with Mom, Dad, Brothers and Sisters ALL together.

TRY to get Mom and Dad to BOTH sign "Medical Power of Attorney" to
name ALL the members of the family to participate in medical decisions.

The "Medical PoA" helps if Mom or Dad are incapicated and
can't make decisions - it doesn't help much if the Doctor feels
Mom or Dad and alert and capable of making their OWN decisions.

With my Mom - we had an additional written directive -
signed by MOM - instructing the Doctor to make ALL her medical records
available to Sis and I...
THAT Directive entitled us (and Allowed the Doc) to discuss her
medical conditions with us. Came in VERY Handy when Mom
hadn't paid attention to everything Doc had told her and was
confused about what she should do.

Here's an informative site by the Illinois Dept of Aging >>>
Illinois Dept of Aging - "Advance Directives" (http://www.state.il.us/aging/1abuselegal/legal_adv-directives.htm)

Note the "Senior HelpLine @ 1-800-252-8966" -
give em a call and ask them for suggestions.

GLAD Mom is back HOME AGAIN!!
Pass her a {{{HUG}}}! :)

/s/ Phred

moosmom
03-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Debbie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Thoughts and prayers coming your way from Michigan!

(((((hugs))))))) to you!

kimlovescats
03-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Debbie,

I'm just now reading this post for the first time tonight.
I sure wish you knew something definite from your mom's doctor, how very frustrating indeed!:(

My prayers will be added along with the others for a safe, healthy spa weekend and a good prognosis for your mother!

Hugs,
Kim:)

petslover
03-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Prayers are being sent your way. I hope everything works out for your mom. Get Well Soon Debbie's mom.

shais_mom
03-24-2005, 12:34 AM
aawww
You're mom will be in my thoughts Debbie.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
TRY to get Mom and Dad to BOTH sign "Medical Power of Attorney" to name ALL the members of the family to participate in medical decisions.

Thanks for the tip Phred, but our entire family has had all these papers filled out ever since her heart attack 11 years ago. However, we should probably update everything since things might be different now with all the HIPPA rules like Sara mentions. I know who has the right to make decisions for my mom and dad, but how can we make the decisions if the doctors can't tell us what's going on? :confused: :rolleyes:

And thanks for the link on the Advanced Directives. I have all the necessary paperwork filled out, but Terry doesn't and since this is all over the news lately, he's been pushing to get his filled out. I also need to fill out State of Illinois paperwork since my paperwork is from Wisconsin. In theory Illinois should honor my wishes made in Wisconsin, but by law they don't have to because each state has different laws for this type of thing. So I do need to update everything.

Thanks so much everyone. I talked to her again last night and she seemed fine and probably just ready to put the whole thing behind her. She is the type to draw attention away from herself - and she is very good at it! - so next thing you know we're discussing what Terry and I did last weekend and such and I'm like "Wait a minute, I'm not done with you and what the doctor said!"

So, like everyone seems to think, they wouldn't have let her go if it was anything serious, so we'll just hope and pray that it really isn't anything serious and she'll be ok.

Doesn't help when I hear an ad on the TV this morning about how once every minute a woman dies from a stroke or heart related illness. They were advertising Bayer - give me a break! :rolleyes:

slick
03-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the uppydate.....but.....

Is she going to follow up with the doctor and find out what it really was and get the test results? :confused:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by slick
Is she going to follow up with the doctor and find out what it really was and get the test results? :confused:

That's what's so frustrating about the whole thing, Slick - I don't know! :confused: I bet if left up to her she won't talk to the doc again unless she continues to have problems. That's just the way she is and she just hates doctors and hospitals so much. :( :rolleyes:

Hopefully my Aunt and I can coerce her into following up this weekend. We'll tell her she can't have her massage until she promises to follow up! ;)

Cinder & Smoke
03-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

... I know who has the right to make decisions for my mom and dad,
but how can we make the decisions
if the doctors can't tell us what's going on? :confused:

>> "Note the "Senior HelpLine @ 1-800-252-8966" -
give em a call and ask them for suggestions."

We DID have that problem with Mom's Doctors when they felt
she was able to make her OWN decisions...
The "fix" was an additional directive - signed by Mom, Sis, and I -
that INSTRUCTED the Doctors to make all Mom's "Medical Records"
available to us upon OUR request.

Armed with THAT Directive, I was able to "ask" the Doctors exactly
WHAT they had suggested to Mom;
and the Docs were comfortable that they could repeat to me what
would otherwise have been a "confidential" Doctor-Patient conversation.

I'd call that "Senior HelpLine" and ask them what the Illinois policy
is that would allow "family members" to be given access to
your Mom's medical records.
I'm pretty sure your MOM will have to agree and sign a permission slip.

/s/ Phred