PDA

View Full Version : Wants a poodle

janelle
03-21-2005, 09:55 PM
I have a friend who wants a poodle. She can't afford to buy one. How does one go about getting a free dog?

Shelteez2
03-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Dogs are never free. There's one time costs such as collars, leashes, bowls, beds....etc. Then there are costs that will last the lifetime of the dog such as food and vet care.

Best thing for your friend to do is save up some money and then look into poodle rescue in your area.

janelle
03-21-2005, 10:12 PM
How much are the dog rescues? How much do they charge.

Doesn't anyone give away dogs like they do cats?

CathyBogart
03-21-2005, 10:14 PM
If she can't afford a dog, how would she afford a vet? Not even just routine stuff, but what if there was an emergency? It's best to wait until you have the money to care for an animal before getting it.

luvofallhorses
03-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Maybe she can volunteer her time at an animal shelter until she has money and time for one, my best advice to give is for her to get a job so she can afford the dog. :)

catnapper
03-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Free cat? Where? Even my "free" fosters are far from free. If your friend cannot afford even the $100 adoption fee from a rescue or humane society, how can she be sure she'd be able to afford the basics like food, toys, vet care?

I spend about $100 on Nicki for food & basic supplies each month--- big dog = lots of food. I buy her bones, treats, her medicine (her new medicine for arthritis is $30 a month alone) plus her allergy medicine, flea control, heartworm prevention... come to think of it, Nicki's more like $150 a month for the basics.

Please, I urge your friend to st down and think about what the expense is. Also think this: At the Humane Society or a rescue, the dogs will be up to date on shots and vet care. If you were to find a "free" dog, your friend would be responsible to take it to the vet for distemper shots, rabies shots, and testing to make sure its healthy and free from worms and viruses. That visit alone would range in the hundreds of dollars.

IRescue452
03-21-2005, 11:07 PM
I agree with everybody else about animal care expenses. Not many animals are free anymore because only bad breeders give their animals to just anybody and even then those breeders are in it for money. If we gave away animals where I live they would be taken away for research purposes, no lab pays 500 dollars for a dog, but if they can pose as a dog lover and get a free one they will. Sounds like your friend hasn't done much homework about owning a dog anyway. What are her reasons for wanting a poodle? I suggest she do some research first and then find a rescue or shelter.

janelle
03-21-2005, 11:14 PM
She has had a dog before so I'm sure she knows the cost. She lives with her son and family. I think she wants a dog for free so she can save her money to pay the vet, etc. She may be short on funds since she is a recent widow. Wants a poodle so it won't shed much in her son's house.

I would be nice if someone's poodle recently had pups and they wanted a good home for them without wanting money.

Giselle
03-21-2005, 11:51 PM
I agree. This is not a good situation for a dog. If she can't pay for the dog, she can't pay for the vet and food- period. You can have a dog, but that's not what we're worried about. We're worried about the care the dog will be receiving. Answer me this, did she license her dog? No? Why not? It's "only" 100$ for an intact dog and "only" 26$ for a fixed dog. Why a Poodle? Groomers can cost anywhere from 30-40$ to 100$ PER VISIT. A Poodle needs to go to the groomers a few times a year. Can't pay for the dog? Can't pay for the groomers. Was the dog inoculated annually? No? Why not? Not enough money for the vaccines? Not enough money for the dog. Period.

Please explain to your friend that she is in a horrible position to get a dog. These are the situations shelter workers have nightmares about. Furthermore, no reputable breeder will sell a puppy free of charge. Sure, you can buy a 30$ puppy from an ad, but it will have no health guarantee and could just as likely be riddled with heartworm and parvo which *will* cost a LOT of money to cure. Please tell her to wait and save up the money. Read more about dog care, and then reconsider getting a dog.

janelle
03-22-2005, 12:51 AM
I don't know how she would answer any of these questions. I talk to her on another forum but she is so sweet and has taken care of other dogs.

Seems anymore lots of people can't afford a dog with the cost of getting one. Humane Society needs so much money up front and lots of people cannot adopt with so many regulations. Finding one in the paper is the only way some people can go. Maybe she can find a free one someone can't keep in her area.

My hubby wanted to adopt a dog for his kids and went to the Humane Society but after learning of all the regs he just decided it was too much hassle. Some dog was killed I'm sure cause he couldn't meet their requirmemts although it would have had a good home.

janelle
03-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Oh, forgot she wants an older dog who is over the puppy tearing up chewing stage. Maybe someone who can't keep their dog anymore.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-22-2005, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by janelle
Oh, forgot she wants an older dog who is over the puppy tearing up chewing stage. Maybe someone who can't keep their dog anymore.

In that case, I would advize her to go to a shelter. But she won't get it for free, that is for sure, as most shelters live on donations!

janelle
03-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Maybe her son will get her one. He just came back from Iraq and he is so good to her.

binka_nugget
03-22-2005, 04:35 AM
I got Kaedyn for $125 (very cheap compared to the $500 we paid for Kai). He came already vaccinated and neutered. Less to pay for, right? Barely!

Training classes to socialize - $100
License - $25
Food - $60
Vet Checkups x4 (I know he has gone way more than that though) - $100 (probably more)
Flea/heartworm preventative - $100
Vet: bite/stitches - $100+
Vet: Teeth extraction/consultation/medication/other fees - $307
Crate (to keep him safe when no one's home) - $120

Within the last year alone, I've spent a minimum of $912 on him. I didn't include some essentials (bowls, leashes, collars, tags), toys, treats and some other stuff. I will also be spending much more on hiring a trainer to help us get him over his problems (caused by his past owners). $912 is over 7 times more than what I payed to adopt him.

It doesn't matter if she gets the dog for free or not. There's just no way to escape the cost and responsibility of owning a dog.

However, if she is desperate to have a dog around, some shelters/rescues will foster out their animals and cover all vet and food expenses (I find that most don't, but I've found a few that do). It may not be what she wants exactly, but she'll be helping out a dog and rescue, and she can still save up for a dog of her own.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Pets are not cheep... even rescues. Monthly we usually spend $500- $1000 on our pets. Ok, so we have a lot to care for, but bottom line is they cost money.

LKPike
03-22-2005, 12:19 PM
I personally would never take a dog being given away as free unless its being abused in that case I'll keep until I find an open foster home for it. I also would never buy an animal for a cheap price. Theres always hidden problems in them.

((this doesnt include adoption, or animals one might find running stray :) I have no problem helping those poor lost babys))

janelle
03-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Both of my SSs got their dogs for free. Guess you have to have friends who love animals to give you one. Or friends who adopt an animal and then can't keep it.

I got my last kitty for free. SILs cat had kittens and she gave the litter away. I could pick out the one I wanted by playing with all of them and seeing their temperments. She is the best kitty.

It can be done. One needs connections. LOL

Uabassoon
03-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Yes, one can get a "free" pet. But are your pets spayed or neutered? Are they licensed? Vaccinated? To be a GOOD and RESPONSIBLE pet owner does cost money!

My cat Corkscrew was "free", but in the 3 years I've spent a lot of money on him.

wolfsoul
03-22-2005, 03:02 PM
I also think it's important for your friend to remember the other costs. I got a "free" cat and I have already spent over $500 on supplies and vet care for him in the last 7 or so months.

That being said, I understand when some people just don't want to pay the initial "buying" fee. My mom's bf is looking for a dog, and he has LOTS of money -- he is very well off in that department. He owns a great house in a very good area, and has a great job. But he won't pay the buying fee -- though he understands he has to pay for food, vet care, etc, he doesn't want to pay the buying fee. I'm not too sure why.

Please remind your friend that even if she gets a dog without the initial buying fee, she still has to pay for vet care (shots, alter, medical problems -- could equal hundreds to thousands of $), food, leash, collar, toys, crate, possibly obedience classes, parasite preventatives, license, etc. The dog will also need lots of time -- time for love, time for exersise, time for fun. Also have her keep in mind that when a dog is given up for free, there may be some behaviour problems involved. Would she mind having an aggressive dog? A dog that bites? A dog that barks alot? A dog that chews? A dog that isn't housebroken?

Giselle
03-23-2005, 09:32 PM
I would also like to add that the adoption fee is there for a reason. Many people like your friend want a dog but not the costs. Eventually, the bills can and will catch up and the dog will, again, be relinquished. To ensure this NEVER happens, shelters and r-e-p-u-t-a-b-l-e breeders require a minimal fee. Compared to anything else in this world (including gas *snickers*), 125$ adoption fee is EXTREMELY cheap! Your SIL is not a good example to play off of, either. A responsible owner would have altered their animals. Oops litters are part of why there are so many strays and unwanted pets in shelters every day of the year. Besides that, she would have demanded you pay at least 20$ or something. Why? To ensure that you have the funds to successfuly and properly raise an animal, and to help dispell the possibility of you relinquishing the animal. Please. Tell your friend to wait. Please.

janelle
03-24-2005, 01:56 AM
I agree with the comment about SIL. She has had lots of cats and they always die or get lost. This one was her Daughter's and they were waiting until they had the money to neuter the poor thing. She got pregnant twice cause she was just too hard to keep inside. :rolleyes:

Well daughter got married and a person on a farm took the un-neutered cat. They said not to neuter her then because it would be better if she came to them pregnant and the other cats would accept her more easily. Not sure why this was so but she didn't get pregnant and went to live with them anyway. She's a barn cat now and I hope doing well,:confused:

Pam
03-24-2005, 05:58 AM
The title of your thread got my attention. My first thought was so do I! I am a hopeless poodle person. :D The others have certainly spoken well when it comes to all of the other added expenses that go hand in hand with pet ownership. I will just add my two cents.

Poodles are HIGH MAINTENANCE dogs. The must be groomed at least every 4-6 weeks and their ears need the fuzz plucked out at each grooming. These needs are specific to poodles and are vital to their well being. Grooming, should your friend not do it herself, is very expensive. If she should decide to do her own grooming she can spend about $100-$200 on clippers, blades, etc. I can understand her desire for a poodle, believe me, :) but all things considered I would think another breed with less maintenance might be better for her.

GraciesMommy
03-24-2005, 06:16 AM
With Gracie being half poodle, she is groomed every 5 - 6 weeks since poodles are notorious for the ear hair...and it does have to be plucked out or they are more prone to ear infections..I only pay $15 since the lady does them from her home..but it adds up fast..not to mention all the regular vet bills every one has already talked about. 3 weeks ago it was $147 for a vet visit because i thought she had a UTI. (she had eaten some "beggars lice" which acted as a diuretic) The little weed that clings to the body and she swallowed some of the seeds from the weed..there are just so many things that crop up that you have to be willing to pay for...RESPONSIBILITY..part of the commitment of taking in a fur kid..