PDA

View Full Version : guinea pig problem

Randy
03-21-2005, 09:39 PM
I wanted to now if there is a way that my two little guinea pigs could like me better!:)

chrissycat21
03-22-2005, 03:38 PM
How long have you had your guinea pigs?

Guinea pigs by nature are shy animals, so if you haven't had them that long, they will be slightly afraid of you. :)

Randy
03-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Well I have two guinea pigs. Both girls. Ones named Piglet and the other Pooh. I got them on saturday 3/19/05. I guess thats why. But is there a way i could make my two wonderful guinea pigs trust me better. Like i heard putting them on your chest helps alot. Any other ways? And i was also wondering if you are supose to cut there nails. I dont know much about guinea pigs, but im reading all i can. Any tips i should know. It would really help. Thank. Please Reply:)

chrissycat21
03-22-2005, 08:03 PM
When their nails start to seem a little long trim them with dog nail clippers. :)

Do you feed them fruits and vegetables? If you do, start feeding it from your hand. It will just take patience.

Check out these sites:

www.cavyspirit.com
www.cavycages.com'

And search 'cavy care' or 'guinea pig care' in google and you should find more sites. If you need anymore help, PM me.

Randy
03-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the advice:)

Karen
03-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Just let them get used to you, handle them a little more every day, let them become accustomed to your scent. Bring them treats, let them out to play (supervised and contained of course) and the longer you have them, if you interact with them every day, the more they will like you!

Randy
03-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Thank.:)
I have another question. Do I have to supply vitaman C tablets for my guinea pigs or can i just give them green veggie and fruits.

chrissycat21
03-23-2005, 04:03 PM
What kind of vitamin C tablets? I don't give my guinea pig any, as long as you give your guinea pigs atleast 2 snacks a day of fresh veggies and fruit and lots of them are high in vitamin C you should be fine. Give them red lettuce with every snack, its really good for them and they love it!

How are they doing? Any luck?

Don't give them the vitamin C tablets in the water, it gives it an 'off' taste and sometimes they will start not drinking it.

Randy
03-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks, their doing fine. One of them lets me hold and pet her more often:)

chrissycat21
03-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Thats good!

I love guinea pigs...Mine is 6 years old. Do you have any pictures you can post of yours?

Randy
03-23-2005, 08:14 PM
no, i dont know how to anyy ways. I wish i could. I will post them eventually.:) And i could even put my dog and two parakeets in the pic too.

Randy
03-23-2005, 11:21 PM
hi, how have your pets been doing( Just fine i hope)
I have a question to ask. What are salt wheels for and should i buy one for my cavys. And also are guinea pigs just supose to use the bathroom on the floor or do they need a litter box or something like that.

chrissycat21
03-24-2005, 07:42 AM
Ok, guinea pigs don't need a salt wheel at all. Or a mineral wheel.

You can either litter box train your guinea pigs or let them go at the bottom of the cage. What kind of cage do you have? One with a wire bottom or plastic bottom? What are the dimensions?

Randy
03-24-2005, 03:29 PM
How do u get your Guinea Pigs to use a litter box. Any good sites for that. I have a C&C cage (Cubes and Cloroplast) And are u supose to brush your guinea pig ever day?

chrissycat21
03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Yay! A C&C cage! I was hoping you would have that, so then I wouldn't have to lecture (well, not really) another person on how petstore cages are too small!:p

Are your guinea pigs long haired or short haired? If they are long haired, you need to comb their fur out everyday. If they are short haired, you need to brush them every day with a soft baby brush or dog brush when they shed; in the spring and summer.

Guinea pigs are tough to toilet train, try to figure out which corners or places in the cage they are using as their toilet, and then put a litter box there. Also, put some of their soiled bedding in the litter box to help them get what they're supposed to do.

Randy
03-24-2005, 09:43 PM
Well i have a long haired one(Pooh) and a short haired one(Piglet:) Piglet lookes like the one on your pic. but shes black.:)
C&C cages are the best.:)

chrissycat21
03-25-2005, 11:59 AM
C&C cages are great. I don't have one, yet, only because my parents won't drive me to Target to get the cubes. They think that its a space waster and that Taffy is too old to enjoy it. (He is around 6 yrs. old) I told them I don't care, I'm still going to make him one.

Randy
03-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Just got back from a trip! So how have u and your pets been doing. How are u going to make a cage? How old are u? ( just wondering) im 13.

chrissycat21
03-28-2005, 10:54 AM
My pets are doing ok. Taffy had a seizuire, so I'm not sure when I'm going to make the cage. I'm 13, too.

Randy
03-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear that.:( hope he feels better:)

Slinky_Disney_KG
03-29-2005, 01:00 PM
I adopted my guinea from my 6th grade science teacher. But the person who had him before my teacher didnt cut his nails. so you have to make sure they are not too long. If they grow too long then the quick*(sp?) in the guineas nail will grow long too.
*quick is like a vain in their nail
When the quick gets long then u cant cut the nail as short.

Marie56
03-29-2005, 02:36 PM
It will take a while for your pigs to get used to you and thier new surroundings. Spend some time with them every day..sit outside thier cage and just talk softly to them. Open the door and put your hand in, so they will soon know you are not a threat.

Another site to check is www.cavycompendium.com Check in the food forum, for thier guinea pig shopping list. It will give you a good list of foods that are good for them, especially the high Vitamin C foods.

Randy
03-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks you guys.:) You've all been very helpfull.
I know if theres anything i need to come to you.
And i might be getting a rabbit:) So if any of you know anything bout rabbits please help out.;)

chrissycat21
03-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Please do not put a rabbit in with your guinea pigs. If the rabbit gets up too quickly one kick on the head will kill your guinea pigs!

Please, think about getting a rabbit,you just got these guinea pigs, and once the new-ness wears off, are you going to be spending as much time with them as you did? Rabbits are a lot of work, just as much or more then a guinea pig. Please think about it.:)

Randy
03-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah I know not to put a rabbit in with my guinea pig:)
But if i do get a rabbit (thats if)i wont really have to take care of it my mom would do all of the work.;) It would'nt change anything.
I would still pet it and feed it sometimes but i would pay more attencion to my little piggies. Dont worry. Im with the guinea pigs!
You have alot of pets right how do u do it?

chrissycat21
03-30-2005, 08:37 AM
So if you decide not to take care of the rabbit, your mom will just do it for you?

The only reason I have as many pets as I do is that I have the time to take them all out every day and take care of them. I have a dog, a guinea pig, a cockatiel, and a fish. I take my cockatiel, Buttons, out everyday for atleast an hour. Taffy gets taken out everyday, too. Right now, I'm hand feeding Taffy 4 times a day and checking on him every 1/2 hour to an hour. Snowy doens't get walked every single day, only because of the weather. Since it's getting nicer out, she's been walked every day since the weather would allow. My mom does help me with my pets, but she doesn't do all the work. If I'm sick she will take Buttons out and check everyone's food, water, etc. My mom only helps me when I need it. But, these pets are my responsibility, and if your going to be bringing in more pets, only to have your mom take care of them, I don't think thats such a good idea. Does your mom know what your planning? :)

Randy
03-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Actually its not going to be my pet at all. It's going to be my moms. But i still wanna know things about rabbits do i could help my mom.I have a lot of time on my hands, and there is no chance that a rabbit will be coming to my house. :) Dont worry.

chrissycat21
03-31-2005, 04:50 PM
Ok. I misunderstood you. :)

There are many people on PT who know more about rabbits then I do, so try posting in Pet General.