PDA

View Full Version : Strange 'tiel sounds... video

flamepony12
03-21-2005, 09:14 PM
I also posted this in pet general, I just thought I'd post it here too since more people tend to browse this forum. :)

I was just wondering if anyone else's tiels make this sound? ;)

She makes it when she's going to sleep. I'm not concerned, unless it's something to be concerned about? It kind of sounds like static tweets. :p

Sorry about the video, I don't have a mic so I just had to take a video. You might have to turn your volume up because it's kind of soft.

flamepony12
03-21-2005, 09:50 PM
oh yes, and she usually makes these sounds while crouching over on a perch. Is this normal, or do you think she's sick?

popcornbird
03-21-2005, 10:09 PM
:eek::o

You know what? I think..........Baybi wants a mate.

That is what females do when they want to 'mate'....crouch down, flap a bit sometimes, and make those funny squeaky sounds.

Sorry for the embarrassing reply, but I really think that's it. :o He he he...I hope she's not intending to lay eggs. I would think she's still young for that though. :confused:

Can you make a video of her doing it in the 'light' so I can see what she's doing better? Its most likely that, but it could 'possibly' also just be her own silly way of singing.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-21-2005, 10:13 PM
I couldn't open it. :(

flamepony12
03-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
:eek::o

You know what? I think..........Baybi wants a mate.

lol :p

she's been doing it in the same spot every time too, and it's pretty recent. But she's only about 7 months old.... isn't that too young to lay eggs? :confused:

I'll try to get a better video.... she normally does it around 6:00 every night. but when I get too close she stops... I'll try though. ;)
Thanks for your reply! :o lol

popcornbird
03-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Yep...I really think that's it. Muffin didn't start this until she was 3 years old, but some females do mature early. My tiels are 'up to it' right now too...:o...and they normally do it in the morning, or in the evening (6-ish). Its the weather. They believe its breeding season and well.......that's what their nature tells them to do. What Baybi's doing is what the female does. Is she 'pretending' anything in the cage is her mate?

I'm trying to turn the breeding clock in my tiels' heads off right now, as they've been trying to mate (I caught them a few times but have been trying my best to prevent it). They usually do this during spring for a few weeks, and then stop for the rest of the year. Thats the way my tiels are. Thank God they don't do it most of the year. I really don't want to breed them so I'm trying to change their schedule. They normally sleep at like 10:30pm, but today, I put them to bed at 7, and they're sleeping in the guest room, where no one goes and its nice and dark and quiet. Hopefully they'll sleep all night without disturbance. I'm trying to make their nights longer so they go back into thinking its winter and NOT breeding season. This method has worked every spring for me, so far. I hope it works again now. Poor little tiels have been kept seperate all day today. :p You might want to try reducing Baybi's daylight hours too, to see if it helps. What time does she normally sleep? You'd want to discourage her from laying eggs at this young age.