PDA

View Full Version : whats for dinner revisited

caseysmom
03-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I am in a real cooking slump...I have always been really into cooking and the last few years I just don't enjoy it anymore...mostly because I just run out of ideas...I don't know if I have forgotten everything or what...just lazy I think...you have to plan ahead, shop then cook

so any helpful ideas...anything good that is pretty easy....

GraciesMommy
03-21-2005, 05:00 PM
You need to check out my website..I post daily menus and there are tons of wonderful recipes..I am a cook freak and oggysflute is also a member there

http://groups.msn.com/PamelasKitchen

You are more than welcome to join!
(anyone else as well and post your own recipes!)

aly
03-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by GraciesMommy
I am a cook freak and oggysflute is also a member there

Hmm.. you're a cook freak and you live in Texas .... you need to come by and visit me!!! :D My boyfriend and I are in a major cooking slump!

Logan
03-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Pamela's site is GREAT! I'm a member there too. But tonight, I am NOT cooking as we get to entertain some business guests on the company tab and Scott is taking us OUT to dinner at a nice restaurant downtown! :)

GraciesMommy
03-21-2005, 06:02 PM
OMGoodness, Logan! I did not realize that was you on there til just now! lol..soooo sorry about that!! I have so many members that have joined that has come from word of mouth that I don't know who has joined from MY mouth..lol
Glad you are there and now glad to know its you..and thank you for the compliment..I am sure loving it..
And Trev (oggysflute) is a joy to have on there..he has so many good recipes/ideas...and has been such a great addition..

slick
03-21-2005, 06:06 PM
I just joined....:)

OK, I've already found 3 recipes I'm going to try. I can see that I'm going to be addicted to this site as well. :rolleyes:

Cincy'sMom
03-21-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm going to have to join your site Pamela! I love to cook, and even more love to eat!!

Tonight I made pork medallions, wrapped in bacon, on our Foreman grill, with garlic buttered noodles, and corn.

Okay, have to edit to say, I joined (LabsNSpots), and wow...there are some great recipes there!!!

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Tonight I had barbecued chicken with some kind of alfredo noodles and salad:)

GraciesMommy
03-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Glad to have y'all there..I pretty much post recipes daily as well as a few other members who are good about posting..but most just come to get ideas and/or pick up recipes..which is great too!
Not especially meant for a visiting roost, but if that happens, I am ok there too..lol Mainly just want it to be a great help site for recipes~

slick
03-21-2005, 09:31 PM
I was on there for about 30 min. today and could not figure out how to add a recipe. Also I was looking for some soup recipes...is there a search feature?

Tonight is a meatless night for me. Asparagus with hollandaise sauce (the real stuff), spaghetti squash and sauteed mushrooms.

Tomorrow, I have some chicken legs I have to do something with.

flamepony12
03-21-2005, 09:33 PM
panda express :rolleyes:

Oggyflute
03-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by slick
I was on there for about 30 min. today and could not figure out how to add a recipe. Also I was looking for some soup recipes...is there a search feature?

Tonight is a meatless night for me. Asparagus with hollandaise sauce (the real stuff), spaghetti squash and sauteed mushrooms.

Tomorrow, I have some chicken legs I have to do something with.

Hey Slick this is my favourite chicken recipe, I mainly use it for wings, but legs will work just as well. Pamela has also one on the site "Chicken wings in honey suace" which is to die for. :D The honey sauce recipie is well worth it if you have the time as it will take about 3 hours or so to cook. (slow and low= succulent meat:D )

Marinated chicken wings

Ingredients:
------------
8 chicken wings / 4 chicken thighs
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tblsp oil
1 tblsp clear honey
3 tblsp tomato ketchup
2 tblsp soy sauce
1 tsp smooth French mustard
1 clove garlic
tobasco sauce to taste

Instructions:
-------------
Mix onion + oil + honey + ketchup + soy sauce + mustard + garlic & tobasco sauce in a plastic or glass bowl (don't use a metal one as acidic juices in the marinade tend
to react with metal). Put the chicken pieces into the bowl and make
sure thoroughly coated with the marinade.

Leave to marinate for either 1 1/2 hours in the fridge, or for 45
minutes at room temperature. (I often leave it to marinate for several
hours in the fridge sometimes if my time allows it, and it
still works out fine).

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.

Again make sure the chicken pieces are thoroughly coated in the marinade
and put the pieces on a wire rack above a roasting pan (just something
to catch the drips really). Cook for 45 mins, and during that time take
the tray out of the oven a couple of times to baste the chicken pieces
with remaining marinade.

Oggyflute
03-21-2005, 11:34 PM
To post a recipie go to the main menu board or the board of your choice. Just above the message list there is a "new discussion" tab. Click that and away you go. :D

http://groups.msn.com/pamelaskitchen

Oggyflute
03-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
I am in a real cooking slump...I have always been really into cooking and the last few years I just don't enjoy it anymore...mostly because I just run out of ideas...I don't know if I have forgotten everything or what...just lazy I think...you have to plan ahead, shop then cook

so any helpful ideas...anything good that is pretty easy....

This one is really easy, (it's scaled for one, so increase as needed)

Lime Garlic Chicken

Seasoned chicken breasts sautéed with butter and garlic and topped with a squeeze of fresh lime.
(Scaled to make 1 serving)

¼ cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 – ½ skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into strips
¼ cup of butter
1 clove of garlic, diced
¼ lime
Lemon pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Mix flour, salt & pepper together in a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, seal bag and shake to coat. Set aside.
2) Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 3 to 4 minutes, until it starts to change colour. Sauté coated chicken strips with butter and garlic for 10 to 15 minutes, until cooked through and juices run clear.
3) Squeeze lime over chicken and sprinkle with lemon pepper. Serve hot.

Cincy'sMom
03-22-2005, 05:22 AM
I may have figured out what is for dinner tonight...the lime garlic chiecken sounds great!!

GraciesMommy
03-22-2005, 09:16 AM
Logan...I think I added 6 Pork Loin Recipes..be sure and check them out.

micki76
03-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Er, I don't cook. I hate to cook, and Michael's never home for dinner.

I do occasionally bake or grill fish, but I mostly eat a lot of fruit, veggies, cereal, and grilled chicken or pork. And I usually have a Lean Cuisine or two during the week.

Hey so far, I've lost 15 lbs! :D

caseysmom
03-22-2005, 09:46 AM
thanks everyone!

Graciesmommy...I will go check that out!

GraciesMommy
03-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Micki..good for you on the weight loss!

Would you believe up until Jan 1 ..I cooked about 7 or 8 different things EVER...! We ate out about 3 times per week..my New Years Resolution was to LEARN to cook..and I am obsessive so once I get into something I get INTO IT...lol
Sooooooo I bought all new small appliances in RED..spice rack, all kinds of herbs/spices...utenils, etc. I made my own recipe cards and bought a 600 page photo album to put them in..(this will make a nice heirloom someday!) I started my website after joining 2 or 3 that I thought were kinda lame..too wordy or too much just visiting and not enough about cooking/recipes...and I now can say I LOVE to cook...I never knew that it could be so much fun. My house always smells good now...I love cutting up fresh garllic and onions and using olive oil and oh, its just fun..

Bed Bath and Beyond is now my fav store...
But I said the EXACT same thing up until 3 months ago..I hate to cook...not any more!
And the best part is people asking me all the time HOW to do something or if I have a recipe for so and so...they make it sound like I have been a cook all my life..lol...and I have 2 people from work I do menus for...that is half the fun! DECIDING WHAT TO make!!

Samantha Puppy
03-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Tonight I'm making brisket and baked potatoes. Not sure if I'll BBQ or bake the brisket but either way, it'll be yummy!

Oggyflute
03-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Wow Pamela, I thought you had been cooking those great recipies for years. Just goes to show what fun cooking can actually be.:)

Samantha Puppy, you can't beat the taste of a good BBQ I reckon.:D

Cincy'sMom
03-24-2005, 07:24 PM
I made the Garlic Lime Chicken tonight, and it was very good!! I think I have a new favorite chicken recipe...and I bet it would be good with fish or shrimp too!

Oggyflute
03-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
I made the Garlic Lime Chicken tonight, and it was very good!! I think I have a new favorite chicken recipe...and I bet it would be good with fish or shrimp too!

That's good to hear.:D Another way to serve them presentation wise is to make a flan of the chicken breast instead of cutting it into strips. Just cut three slices down the end of the breast at a slight angle, leave a good inch or so up the top, and flan the breast out when cooking. It looks good on the plate.:)

My dinner tonight;

Trev’s Foil Wrapped Whole Fish

This is one of those recipies with no proportions or measurements. You simply do it, as you like for taste.

1) Gut scale, and split a whole fish. Your fishmonger will happily do this for you. I generally use snapper, but any fish that has a firm tasty texture will do.
2) Tear of enough foil to be able to wrap the fish when ready. Rub some butter on the foil.
3) Place some sliced lemon on the foil, then place fish on top of the lemon.
4) Grab some sliced onion, some garlic, fresh dill, some fresh grated ginger, chopped tomato, plus some soy sauce mixed with some olive oil. Cram the belly cavity full of sliced lemon, onion, ginger, tomato, and dill (you can use any fresh herb that you like with this). Then drizzle the soy-olive oil sparingly into the cavity.
5) Place some more sliced lemon on top of the fish, a bit of butter on the foil that will wrap over the fish, and wrap up the fish with the foil.
6) You can BBQ over a medium heat until done. About half way through, put some slits in the foil to allow the smoke to penetrate. I generally always use a warming rack, which fits onto the underside of my BBQ lid. It cooks it well, and frees up the grill for other tasty foods.

When it’s cooked you should be able to remove the meat easily, then just peel up the bone when ready for the other side. It’s rather messy, but oh, so tasty.

PJ's Mom
03-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom

Garlic lime? Where? Oooh! Tomorrow's dinner...garlic lime shrimp with some lime cilantro rice. Mmmm. :D

lisalee
03-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Pizza for us tonight. :D I hate cooking with a passion.

LauraT7
03-25-2005, 08:27 PM
I hate cooking, too -

mostly because of the time involved, the mess, and whenever I DO decide to cook, I'm always 'missing' some ingredient.

then I end up with ingredients in my cabinets, freezer and fridge, that get old, thrown out or are given to the food pantry.

Unfortunately, I waste alot of food.

We're also a 'family' of TWO. Just me and my son. We both hate leftovers, and so many recipies that came from mom and grandma are for a family of 4-6, which means we are eating the SAME THING for, like, a week.

Jon's tastes run to 'fast food' even when we're not eating at McDonalds (which we doo too much!) He thinks everything should come from a freezer box or be covered in canned tomato sauce. (pizza, canned ravioli and spaghetti - y'know - the stuff that tastes like tin?) YUCH!

He's picky about anything he eats - it can't have too many items in it, everything has to be 'identifiable' - and if he 'identifies' one thing he doesn't like, he won't eat it.
then I'm eating alone and he's warming up a can of spaghetti later that night!

I'm not THAT 'taste adventurous' myself, and my stomache can't take even mildly spicy food - but I do wish we could eat BETTER food, and not so much processed junk.

The one thing I CAN do - cooking wise - is cook outdoors. I grew up camping, and I LOVE to cook with a dutch oven. I know lots of interresting ways to cook outside and with kids. Some of those recipies can be done indoors, but i still run into the problem of too much - as most camp recipies are for groups.

Anyone have any tips for getting a teen to eat more 'adult' and better food? and cooking for two?

i think I'm gonna check out your site - thanks for the link!

Laura

Oggyflute
03-25-2005, 08:58 PM
I would definately look at chicken breast recipies Laura. They are generally quick and easy, you can flavour them with almost anything, then it's just a question of steamimg some vegies. Pamela' site has got some excellent quick and easy ideas. I would introduce things to your son slowly but surely. Not every spice or herb means "hot". In fact some are very mild and flavoursome. I cook for two, and I find it quite easy to do so, in terms of the amount of ingredients used. The best way is to try an organise your menu for the week which would encompase using what ingredients you bought at the market on the weekend. That way you would use the ingredients more than just once and thus not have any wastage. I know you can do it, because being as you are a Scout Leader you just have to bring your outdoor skills inside to the kitchen:)