PDA

View Full Version : ?? about dwarf lop

pedapea
03-21-2005, 10:56 AM
I was thinking about getting a bunny for my kids..hopefully that's something my cranky husband won't object to. Our local pet store has this absolutely gorgeous harlequin dwarf lop who is amazingly friendly. Usually pet store pets are very fearful...in my experience, anyway. My kids were bugging me to get her/him, but after doing a bit of research on the computer, most of which was good, by the way. I read that these types make wonderful pets for kids, a tad more patient than other varieties. The only problem I read was that these breeds are prone to nasal/teeth problems on account of their slightly pushed in faces. (Little pugs :) )

Please, anyone who has one of these little cuties can you give me your experiences regarding this matter....so I can make a more informed decision. Thanx a bunch.

ashleycat
03-21-2005, 12:26 PM
i have minilops, they dont have pushed in faces. no problems here, just keep a look out in their ears.. oh, are the gonna be taken good care of? not just the easter bunny, that will only be played with for a short while.. these bunnies are like puppies.. need lots of attention.. if you look for my thread for "new bunny pics" you can see mine.. drew is 3 lbs roby is 5.OH if you really want to get that one at pet store, fine, but there are TONS of ones at shelters.. there might be one like it there.. they need homes too. :) i got drew from a pet store, before i did research, hes a mommas boy, but still fearfull, he was a lil bit older when i got him, roby was a baby, hes spoiled, and is an escape artist, make sure your cage is secure.. also do some research on nic cube cages. cages you make yourself you can make huge cage for half cost of one at a store. tiny one, lol, oh you can also litter box train them too

pedapea
03-21-2005, 02:56 PM
thanx for the info ashleycat. From all the pics you've posted you sure do love them bunnies:) I saw one picture that you posted with your buns in a metal cage. It actually looked like a gigantic dog crate. What on earth is that?? I also notice, from the pic, that they are sitting on carpet. From that I gather that they are totally litter box trained and don't soggy up the carpet?? If so, that carpet idea is great. Toss in the machine every once in a while and voila, clean cage. It would sure do away with all of those messy shavings everywhere, except, of course, the stuff that would be used in the litter box.

Let me know about what that cage thingy of yours is, and how you made it, and where you got it. Thanx.

ashleycat
03-21-2005, 04:14 PM
heres their current one, i have changed it sooo many times.. ive only recently added carpet, because when they get excited they slide, they were on that plastic kitchen stuff, but you really have to watch out for the carpet, as they can eat it, thats why you see tiles on top of some of it, roby started goin at it, i just have to distract him. what i used were these storage things called " neat idea cubes " you assemble them into shelves, or other ways, they are grids you put together with plastic connectors, and with the cage, you use those and zip ties to make it more sturdy. you can customize it anyway you like. heres a link to a site of peoples " how to" http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/nic.html
good luck !!!

http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procsserv/F-AMmrdwzZt27DbgQj9FxOeA