PDA

View Full Version : seasonal allergies

catnapper
03-21-2005, 08:57 AM
I've been wondering... with allergy season creeping in, I was wondering what they do to you!

I am just stuffy and sinusy from now til November :rolleyes: and never fail, I get a sinus infection from heck right as the flowering trees start to flower. Otherwise, no itchy or watery eyes, no constant sneezing, just plain old stuffiness and the occasional sinus headache.

I'd love to find something that actually works. I've tried everything, but I'm always stuffy regardless the medicine.

How about you? What happens to you, and what do you do to help your allergies? Home remedies? Prescriptions? I'm interested!

slleipnir
03-21-2005, 09:09 AM
I get really bad in the summer. It's SOOO annoying. I get a runny nose and I sneeze all the time. I use reactine (sp?) everyday, and it usually helps.

bagby039
03-21-2005, 09:10 AM
IN answer to your question about allergies, i get stuffed up too. I wear a mask when i am cutting grass to help with whatever triggers my allergies to the outdoors problems. One thing that the doctor suggested and also helps tremendously is using a saline nasal spray. I was told to use this 4 times a day especially when i am working outside. We have 21 acres and i cut the pastures several times a year. I have to use the mask when i am doing this to keep from getting a bad sinus headache and of course to keep the stuffiness down to a minimum. Get some of the saline nasal spray and keep it with you and use it. It sure helps me alot. I also take allegra d and it helps as long as i take it on an empty stomach. I take it in the am when i get up and make the hubby's coffee before i eat breakfast and also in the evening when i get home and before supper. It does have a suggestion to take it on an empty stomach. I hope this has been helpful.

KYS
03-21-2005, 09:31 AM
I have year around allergies.

Over the counter:
I like Sudafed nasal decongestant (little red pills)
Sinus Rinse is a good saline nose wash.

bagby039
03-21-2005, 09:35 AM
I have to be careful about what i take. I work for a police department as the animal control officer. My job is considered extremely safety sensitive by the department. I have to be careful about what i take as a result. Alot of meds make me sleepy that dont bother other folks. I ask all the time of the doc when they prescribe meds to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

luvofallhorses
03-21-2005, 09:47 AM
I go horse back riding and I have hayfever sometimes,
but since I have grown up I think I have grown out of it.

I am allergic to grass, I can't even walk on it barefooted, it sucks. :( Allergies suck!

Corinna
03-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I too had allergies with my son ,when we lived in Washington state it was April until Nove. we were on so much meds we were zombies . Moved here to Montana we each have only taken 3 doses in 11 years. (those were during the big fires 2 years ago)
Its nice to be able to function all year.
We had the stuffy or runny noses, coughing , and headaces.

shutterbug0303
03-21-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm just beginning to suffer from those darn seasonal allergies...pollen, grass, etc. I can't believe it is that time of year already! That means my car is going to start turning greenish-yellow any time now :rolleyes: I have a prescription for Allegra which works well, and I've also found Clartin OTC to help as well. But I think my suffering must be minimal compared to others.

Samantha Puppy
03-21-2005, 10:20 AM
I have never had allergies. *knock on wood*

catnapper
03-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Corinna
I too had allergies with my son ,when we lived in Washington state it was April until Nove. we were on so much meds we were zombies . Moved here to Montana we each have only taken 3 doses in 11 years. (those were during the big fires 2 years ago)
Its nice to be able to function all year.
We had the stuffy or runny noses, coughing , and headaces.
Hmm... os perhaps we need to move to Montana? LOL... hubby would love that! Honestly.. he keeps trying to cnvnce me to move south or out west. He likes the pace of life, whereas I like being close to my family.

Glacier
03-21-2005, 04:56 PM
I have year round allergies, which I aggravate intentionally--I'm allergic to dogs, cats and straw, among other things. I love winter as all the outdoor allergies disappear.

I take Reactine almost daily, especially in non-snow months. I also take Claritin. I get a prescription nasal spray from my doc that helps alot too in the worst months.

NoahsMommy
03-21-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm allergic to everything!!!

I take Allegra and that helps a lot. The other stuff stopped working a while ago...

I get itchy eyes, ears, throat. Runny nose, itchy skin, stuffed up sometimes. No fun. I hate allergies!

RedHedd
03-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

I take Allegra and that helps a lot. The other stuff stopped working a while ago...

I get itchy eyes, ears, throat. Runny nose, itchy skin, stuffed up sometimes. No fun. I hate allergies! Me too! I take Allegra and use Nasocort spray every day. This past week I got really bad, where my eyes are all swollen and watery and NOTHING works, except giving myself a day of rest, cold teabags on the eyes, etc. Keeping my apartment vacuumed with a HEPA filtered vacuum does help, but with two cats (I'm allergic to cats) .... <sigh> I won't give up on the kitties so I suffer.

Claritin does not work for me and my health insurance has Allegra at the highest co-pay. For those of you taking Allegra, go to Allegra.com and sign up for their rebate program. I get $15 back from Allegra of my out-of-pocket expenses every month. Nasocort has a rebate program too - both products are by the same manufacturer.

prechrswife
03-21-2005, 10:05 PM
I've been using Claritin-D, but it doesn't seem to be working quite as well lately. Allegra-D doesn't really work for me at all. I wish I could find something that works consistently. I have had a sinus headache for two of the last three days.:(

catnapper
03-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by prechrswife
I've been using Claritin-D, but it doesn't seem to be working quite as well lately. Allegra-D doesn't really work for me at all. I wish I could find something that works consistently. I have had a sinus headache for two of the last three days.:(
Same here. My doctor said that many people love Claritin D for a while, then their bodies get used to it and its no longer effective. When I first started with Claritin D, it was a whole new world! Amazing! Then it slowly stopped working, til it did nothing.

Allegra's ok. Nothing to write home about for me. I've been having as much success with Tylenol Sinus - which is essentially Tylenol with Sudafed. Heck of a lot cheaper too! :D

slleipnir
03-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

I get itchy eyes, ears, throat. Runny nose, itchy skin, stuffed up sometimes. No fun. I hate allergies!

My mom is allergic to everything too. I SWARE, it's insane. You name it, she's probably allergic to it -_- She went for an allergy test and she got this sheet back that was filled completely on both sides haha

IRescue452
03-21-2005, 11:00 PM
I have dust allergies, year round torture for me, but worse in the summer. Its only sneezing though. I don't take anything, nothing but placebo if ya ask me. Autumn also has some sort of hay fever or dust allergies in the summer, runny nose and sneezing. I don't give her anything either because its usually not that bad.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-22-2005, 07:18 AM
I'm just allergic to dust and molds and things like that. I used to be allergic to more, cats included, but I guess I grew out of it.

It's Justin who is allergic to everything. Most every tree makes Justin sick, especially during pollen season. Just being around a lot of trees, pollen or no pollen makes Justin sick. He's also very allergic to soy and penicillin. He has some other minor allergies, but those are the major ones.

:( :rolleyes: :(

bagby039
03-22-2005, 08:04 AM
I am also allergic to cats but i told the doc i would not get rid of any of my pets or move from our home. We live over our barn and i love it that way. The hay is downstairs in one of the stalls. I only buy a few at a time as we dont use much with so much pasture. I just take meds and work with my allergies. I do have problems more when it is raining as it creates more mold and also the weather creates more arthritis problems for me but oh well, such is life and i enjoy it regardless.