PDA

View Full Version : Inka is terrified in a car!

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Next week we are planning a week at the sea! It's my first vacation since I've got hospitalised. We rented an appartment on the seafront! As pets are allowed, we will be taking Maya & Inka with us. That is the fun part :)
There is a big problem however. Inka is terrified inside a car. As soon as the motor starts running, she starts yowling very loud. Our vet is only 2 km away, and I am always happy when we get there... :eek:
The drive to the sea will take us about 1 hour... ! Can anyone give me advize on what to do to calm down Inka? She will be in a large travelbox together with Maya. Maya isn't scared at all. I must be careful with medicine, as Inka reacts weird to some drugs...

catnapper
03-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Yikes, I know that yowl very well. Abby is exactly like that and yowled the whole ride home from Jen's when Jen "babysat" her for a week. Lets just say it was a nerve-wracking hour long drive home. Any advice out there, I'd be interested to hear it too!

catmandu
03-21-2005, 08:53 AM
I know,what you mean,as JJJ3,is a big Baby,and the last three times,that he has been,to the Vets,he is so scared,that he messed himself,in the carrier.I am just glad,that HH Edwina,was not there,to see,and smell her Great Big Hero! Ha HA!Smelly Bum Cat!

kuhio98
03-21-2005, 09:11 AM
We used to take Kuhio to our cabin in the mountains. She would cry a few times and then quiet down. Her worst problem was getting car sick from all the curves.

Halo cried the entire way (2 hours) the first time we took her. :rolleyes: The next time she quieted down and enjoyed the ride more.

My advice is not to give her any sedatives but to just let her cry as long as she needs while you reassure her. It could make for a long trip, but maybe having Maya with her will calm her down. :confused:

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-21-2005, 03:13 PM
*bump*

Randi
03-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Lut, I think, as Kuhio98 said, that having Maya with her, will calm her down a bit. It may be a good idea to put a blanket over the box, and hopefully, they'll just cuddle up or go to sleep. Also, if you can arrange to drive after they've done their "business" it would be just perfect.

Have a nice trip! :)

AmberLee
03-21-2005, 05:11 PM
The more Cassy and Livvy go on rides (that don't end up at the vets or the groomers) the easier it gets to travel with them.

Do you have drive-through fast food places where you can buy cooked bacon? Sounds stupid, but my fur-kids love this treat.

Edwina's Secretary
03-21-2005, 07:03 PM
To help prepare Edwina for the four day trip from Chicago to California...I would take her for short drives (specifically with me to the ariport to pick up my husband.) When it was time to make the BIG trip she was fine (although she cried ALOT on the airport trips.)

I have decided that only my car will be used for vet trips so they know that Don's car is for "fun" trips.