PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Angel doesn't trust me anymore!

Soapets
03-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Since we started giving Angel her Amoxicillin twice a day for the kitty acne on her chin, she has become very elusive and mistrusting of us, and hides most of the day and night. I feel so bad!:( I didn't have the heart to give it to her yet tonight. She let me catch her once and pick her up and hold her, but she's very wary of me, and of my husband and son, because we've all taken part in giving this medicine to her over the past few days. I want her to know that it isn't every time, but when she only comes out of hiding twice a day, it's hard to convince her of that! What should I do?:confused: :( :eek:

rg_girlca
03-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Awwww poor sweetie. It's too bad that they don't understand what we are doing is for their own good.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you as I have never had to go through this myself, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with her.

I'm sure others will be able to help you out on what you can do.

Craftlady
03-20-2005, 10:07 PM
I've done the chase around the room routine many times. I think my gang thinks it's play time.
After a few days she will get used to taking meds. Try not to scare or startle her when you approach to give meds. Be swift about it and once the pill is given, give her praises with a reasuring voice.
I dont give treats but if you have some give her one.

Soapets
03-20-2005, 10:08 PM
I just made myself give her the evening dose. It's in liquid form, and we have to use a dropper to give it to her. I absolutley HATE doing this. She just starts trusting me to pet her, and then I have to go and do that!:( But when I finished I picked her up and hugged her and scritched behind her ears, etc., and told her I was done for tonight, and that I love her, and that I sure wish I didn't have to do that, etc., etc., etc.! I don't know if it helped her any, but it helped me feel a little better, if possible. She ran as soon as I let her down, but she stayed in the living room, and I'm going to try to get her to play with me a little bit. She hasn't done that since we started giving her this medicine, because she's been in hiding!

kaoK'okung
03-21-2005, 01:56 AM
if the dose is in pill form i suggest dipping pill in italian dressing , my cats would not take pills ever, then i dipped in dressing , pills went down...hope this helps...

catcrazylady
03-21-2005, 06:46 AM
What I do with the brats that I can medicate is always give medication in the bathroom. That makes them feel safe in other parts of the house. Immediately after giving meds we have playtime with the cat charmer, shoe string, whatever they like to do. When Pete, Pepper, and Pervy were younger we had them on meds for awhile and I would still have to catch them but they immediately ran to daddy's chair afterwards because they new play time was coming. I try to always to that with my scaredy cats. I guess it lets them know that something good is coming after the nasty stuff!;) I don't know if that is any help but you might try it because after play time mine acted very normal and seemed to forget the bad part.

It's awful when they are upset with you isn't it? Especially when they act afraid. It breaks your heart.:(

Soapets
03-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Angel did come around and let me play with her some last night. I gave her the medicine this morning just before leaving for work, and she went into hiding right after that again. I am home from work for the afternoon and still haven't seen her out and about. She will usually come out from where-ever she is when she hears me come home. I guess we'll keep working on reassuring her, and trying to associate positive things with it after giving it to her. Thanks for all of your comments and support. I absolutely HATE doing something like this to her that she doesn't understand, and that leads to some mistrust. We've never had to do this before.....:(

kimlovescats
03-21-2005, 01:12 PM
I know exactly how you feel, mine all go through this too. But the good news is they do eventually get over it. I think Lisa's idea of always giving the medicine in the same room (bathroom, etc.) would help with making her feel safe in the other playful rooms!

Good luck, and hang in there meommy!

Kim;)

catnapper
03-21-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm going through the same exact thing with Allen for his acne. He doesn't trust us at all.. and half the time instead ofcleaning his chin like I want to, I only pet him just to try and get his trust up. It seems t o be working, because he's been coming out of hiding more the past few days. I do like Lisa says, nad try to clean him at the same place. This morning he happened to be laying where I typicall clean him... he saw me coming and ran. :rolleyes: :(

catmandu
03-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I sadly,am not one,to ask,as they run,in terror,every time,that I break,out the tube,of hair ball remedy! And they like,the taste,of that!