PDA

View Full Version : this is just wrong

sammy101
03-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Kelowna RCMP plan to seize shopping carts from homeless
Last Updated Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:39:35 EST
CBC News
KELOWNA, B.C. - Street people in the B.C. Interior city of Kelowna have been told by the RCMP they have until April 1 to surrender their shopping carts – or have them seized.

The police said the carts, worth up to $350 each, are stolen property. They said they're simply enforcing the law after complaints by the city and the business community.

But homeless people, who can often be seen trundling around Kelowna's downtown core with everything they own on the carts, said they're crucial for their survival.

"These are really these people's homes. They carry their homes in their shopping carts," said Bob, who is homeless.

"Then they get it taken away. Their sleeping bag is gone. Their clothes are gone. And they call us bums, right, because they took our stuff."

Anti-poverty advocates accused the police of targeting the poor.

Candace Sutherland of the Drop-In Centre said that if the police take away people's carts, the city should build a day-storage facility where they can store their few belongings.

Michelle Rule, who is on Kelowna's committee on the homeless, said her group is working on long-term solutions, including more shelters and places for the homeless.

She said they're also looking for help from the business community to acquire some warehouse space that street people could use to store their belongings safely during the day.

But Rule warned that it could take some time to find a storage space and get it set up.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/03/18/homelesscarts-050318.html

moosmom
03-20-2005, 03:31 PM
I think it's sad. But I just thought of something that might help. I wonder if the businesses who own the carts would be willing to donate the old ones to the homeless after they've replaced them. It would be a tax deductible contribution.

king2005
03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
I aggree with both sides.

& I agree with moosmom. That should be an option.

The Lobe store here has solved cart theft. They put underground wires sround their parking lots & stores so that once the cart gets to the wire a powerful break is triggered & these cards can only be unlocked by staff.

My store has put tags on our carts to prevent them from leaving our store. As soon as they pass the door the alarm goes off & the customer is told to return the cart.

Taking carts is really costly. But giving free old used carts is a great idea moosmom

Oggyflute
03-20-2005, 10:30 PM
I'd prefer my tax dollars going on more worthwhile pursuits.

Pit Chick
03-21-2005, 08:56 AM
The police have every right to confiscate the shopping baskets, they're stolen property and when stores lose money from their stuff being stolen, guess who pays, the customers after the stores jack up prices to cover their losses. There are shelters for homeless people and those shelters offer help for them to start a new life and get back on their feet, but instead of taking that help, they just get the free food and temporary shelter that is offered and hit the streets again, begging for money so they can buy drugs and/or alcohol and cigarettes. (I'm not bashing all homeless people, there are those who truly lost everything beyond their control, but those are the kind who do take the help that is offered because they want to get back to a normal life.) While a day storage is a good idea it's only a matter of time before they abuse it.

tortuga55
03-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Are they going to charge teens who take carts and ride them down hills? Probly not. Most carts that the homeless have are old and rusty, they will be taken returned to the store and thrown out. I dont mind paying a bit extra to give a homeless person something they need. They dont trade carts in for drugs. I would pay a bit extra for clothes too if manufactures of clothes gave their workers min wage.