PDA

View Full Version : 7 or More Cats Owners

sandragonfly
03-18-2005, 09:55 PM
hiyas everyone and for people who doesn't have more than 7 cats or fosters too!

I thought of posting this thread to share experiences with whose have multicats like I do. the reason I'd like post this up because everybody out of this paws talk community thinks I'm crazy! (I have 13 cats now, it was only 9 two months ago).

I feel a little bit frustrated thinking if it's wrong or right to have them all. because people, my family, friends think it's wrong to. I've been always getting "oh gina! are you crazy!?" "oh eesh, that's TOO many! ....too expensive" "gina, you must give them good home".. and above of all "TOO MUCH!!" these words have always pushed me down, pushed my button and angers me. (they, -- strictly indoor cats -- all are vacced, vacc. every three years fixed, fed daily, and mircochipped. and we live in an apartment). have anyone experience that and feel miserable sometimes for what others said? I'm asking, especially for the owners (not fosters unless you OWN more than 7) that owns 7 or more felines. no offense but our experiences may be different. and anybody's opinions are welcome too. I'd like to know that I'm okay too.

p.s. if "small space" is an issue to you, please don't bother to post about it up, thanks.

aly
03-19-2005, 01:56 AM
I'm not sure what you mean about the small space thing, but I think that as long as you properly care for and love your kitties, then you don't have too many. If it comes to the point where they aren't getting what they need as far as attention, food, or medical needs, then you'd have too many. It sounds like you take great care of yours though.

I only own 2 cats, but I have several long-term fosters. Up until 2 weeks ago, I had 8 cats living with me. That is too much for me personally because I am just out of college and don't own my own home yet. I can temporarily care for that many, but I couldn't take that responsibility on permanently. Other people have a much higher limit and are able to take care of more than that though.

sandragonfly
03-19-2005, 03:59 AM
sorry for not being clear :o

what I meant was small place where my cats, dog, rats, and six-gallon tank live...is in a studio. that issue I'm sick of hearing from everybody as a reason (too, authorizations' laws and restrictions and such) because when you enter my apartment, the mess you see will look like I only have ONE cat. one cat? just a carpetfloor filled with colorful toys and that will be it. people always find it surprised. plus trying to find a smell of litterodors, they couldn't! I LOVE cleaning out their dome litterbox 2x/3x a day, by the way. you know how it feels good to get your baby a new, fresh, orderless diaper! I also have plenty (yes, plenty time beside three jobs and volunteering 8hr/wk and going school full-time and hours of commitement to swim team, in weekends too) time grooming them (I only have three long-haired furkids) biweekly, plus my lovely dog, Crayola. you'll make time only if you want the best out of it for them! :) :) :)

postscript: sorry if I sounded arrogant!

PayItForward
03-19-2005, 06:38 AM
A way of making the best of a small space is to go up !

i.e. Tall cat trees and shelves/surfaces with additional cat beds etc. The more cat beds at different levels of your appartment, the happier your cats will be in a restricted space.

Also consider giving your cats safe limited outside access which can also increase cats happiness. Consider fencing in garden, building cat run, walking cats on leads & harness and fencing in balconies or fitting window seats.

K & L
03-19-2005, 06:51 AM
We have 26 cats, 5 of which are outside ferals. You just can't worry what others say. As long as you're providing them the medical care, food, and shelter they should have, who cares what anyone thinks?! We've heard it all and we don't care. We're fortunate to own our own home so were able to build an outdoor cat run, some shelters, and convert the garage for the cats.

smokey the elder
03-19-2005, 07:54 AM
I have 7 of my own, a number which I have decided to be fixed for now. I have anywhere between two and 10 fosters at any given time; the highest numbers during kitten season. I like my fosters to be in the general population and have discovered that the situation is stable to about twelve cats. (I have a three floor house.) But peeing becomes a problem at times, and I need to quarantine some of the incompatibles.

Kittens never go into the general population until they're altered, if I have them that long. I have several middle aged cats and they don't want any part of bratty kittens. And, frankly, kittens can be destructive!

catmandu
03-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Therer are currently 14 Found Cats,a Balinese,an Oriental Short hair,A Maine Coon,3 Meezers ( Siamese),and * ,Domestic Short Hairs,and I dont think,that you are crazy,or doing anything,but providinga loving home,for your Animal Companions!And if you let them,there are many people,whowill run,your life,for your,and oddly,those,are the people,that are not exactly making a roaring sucess,of thier own lives!Keep,up,the Good Work,and we are all MMMMMEEEEOOOWING,For You,and Your Companions!

sandragonfly
03-19-2005, 01:58 PM
hey you!

I feel a little better now knowing that I'm okay and not alone! I mean..only two out of ALL people (autorizations of housings too) I have known for 4 years (that's when I started having multicats) don't think I'm crazy.

K&L: yes, who cares what others think! but I wanted to make sure because there were SO many laws, restrictions (by humane society, animal control and licensing and such) that I can not have multicats. so FRUSTRATING. (I once posted up a thread --aug 2004-- about helping me find a home for my cats to live with me but everyone was suggesting me to give them good homes so I deleted it right away) and felt so helplessly. I finally found a home (where I am now) after about 50 calls I've made with responses "no, sorry, according to health codes, only ONE/TWO cats are allowed" "8 cats!?!! *hung up*" (that was at the time where I searched) and so on and on.

I was afraid if I didn't know anything and could be evicted at anytime. I know multicats do makes things harder but I'm like a fly trap, once a precious stick to me, it leaves me die. so......those replies now told me I'm okay! (I have two catrees as well and I take two cats out on their harnesses after their every turns. and everytime I travel out of town, I take all of them! they're GREAT travelers! I'm sooooooo beyond forunate! thanks a heap people! (I'm hoping to hear more from some of you, however). :D

catnapper
03-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Well, I only have 4 cats of my own, plus fosters (right now I only have Minette who HATES other cats, so she is living quite happily alone in my daughter's room until she can find the perfect forever home.) I also have a rather large dog named Nicki. I live with my husband and three teens. One of which is heading to college next year (talk about expense!). Everyone - and I mean everyone, including my accountant - tells me the animals are too much financial responsibilty. I tell them that the cats are MUCH cheaper than pshycho therapy and drugs. :D

At first my husband was leery of going from 2 cats to fostering beause he knew one or two fosters would never leave ( and he was right) but its funny how HE'S now the one who wants to keep all the fosters. Just today he's asking how we could go about introducing Minette to the other cats. He'd keep them all if we could. I guess the point of this rambling is to have those nay-sayers visit you more often. Have them spend time with the cats and see that the financial responsiblity isn't THAT great, but the rewards of it are worth a million bucks. Have them see there isn't any messes created from the animals. Have them see you're more responsible and happier because of the cats. Some will come around, toerhs never will. Those that never will see it your way, just ignore them when they start ranting on you.

MULTICATMOM
03-19-2005, 04:31 PM
IT WAS 9 BUT 2 GOT NEW HOMES:0) I'M SO GLAD I SAW THIS!!!! I JUST GOT CUSSED OUT YESTERDAY BECAUSE I'D NOT HAVE DOTTIE PTS...:( IT WAS TOTALLY MY FAULT THAT SHE HAD AN ALLERGIC REACTION TO HARTZ FLEA MEDICATION. IT MADE HER TREMOR, SHE WAS SO SICK:( :( LUCKILY WE SAW HER, MY DAUGHTER (16) BATHED HER, WE BORROWED MOMS CAR, DOTTIE WENT TO THE VET...SHE HAD IVS, VALIUM SHOTS, THEY WATCHED HER FOR THE DAY. HOLLY PICKED HER UP AT 4, SHE WENT BACK THIS MORNING & HAD MORE FLUIDS. I'M GLAD TO SAY SHE'S MUCH BETTER:D :D
THE CUSSING CAME FROM MOM, SAYING I SHOULD JUST HAVE HER PTS!! I, OF COURSE, CUSSED BACK & REFUSED!!:eek: :confused: :mad: :mad: :mad: I HEAR IT ALOT--TO MANY, TO EXPENSIVE, ETC...I MOSTLY JUST IGNORE THAT STUFF!! BUT THE LACK OF SUPPORT & UNDERSTANDING DOES GET ON YOUR NERVES:mad: :confused:

BUENO DIAS SENORA!! YOUR AMIGO EL GATO SENORA LOCO

sandragonfly
03-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I tell them that the cats are MUCH cheaper than pshycho therapy and drugs. :D

true!! :D :D we, pettalkers do good!! I also have always said to "too much..blah, blah" people, "then I guess you don't love them AS much AS I DO!" they went like :rolleyes: ...

catmandu, forgot to say thank you for the meowing song! :)

catcrazylady
03-19-2005, 07:25 PM
I have twelve in a 1200 square foot home. There is not a lot of extra room but here is how I see it. They could be stuck in a small 2' by 2' shelter cage or live a little cramped here in the house where they are well cared for and loved to pieces. I think that choice is a pretty easy one to make!:D :D :D

sandragonfly
03-21-2005, 01:55 PM
*bumps* the more experiences the merrier :D

NoahsMommy
03-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I have 8 cats in our 1 bedroom w/ den apartment. I think that if I had a mansion, I'd still get the response I do from people that find out I have that many. The solution? I don't care! ;) ha ha People can think what they want. I know my cats are loved and happy...what more could they want? They're in love with me and I with them.

catfamily
03-21-2005, 03:44 PM
I have 13 indoor cats.All up to date with shots and they all get great care.Just me and my husband,no children.We have 1200 square feet but moving this year to our new home in Maine 2000 square feet.That will help.LOL

sandragonfly
03-21-2005, 05:34 PM
ahhh square feet square feet square feet ....insanes me! :D :rolleyes:

well, what I really want to hear is ..having more than seven cats are stressful for you? don't or do you think it's REALLY expensive? or do you get any bulk deal on food, litters, flea treatments (oh how do you afford this?! I'm very lucky to live in non-PESTY flea area!) and um...what else?

why am I saying seven...because once I had seven to eight, it wasn't much difference but eight to nine, much difference! (money for litter and food)..do you feel me? just wanna hear the similiar experiences...

I was wondering, who on this pettalk, has the HIGHEST number of owning cats...pets actually too.

catfamily
03-21-2005, 05:40 PM
It's very expensive to say the least and we try to look for sales.Some days can be stressful but mostly it's OK because I don't work.If we both worked there is no way we would be able to care for 13 cats.They need to much attention.:confused:

ratchet22
03-22-2005, 09:08 AM
I have 7 in a 3 bedroom mobile home, 2 out side, and 1 at the office, CONGRADULATIONS! You too are the weird cat lady, hahaha thats what they say to me, but you know what, I have 1 cat for every friend I know that doesnt have any! :D

Someone has to step in, and I agree, as long as you take care of them, provide them medical when needed and keep the home area clean. Who cares what people say! ;) Its your life, and if cats is what makes you happy, YOU are your first concern! And you are what really matters most! SOOOOOO

BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandragonfly
03-22-2005, 05:30 PM
thank you
thank you
thank you

no, I shouldn't worry about what others say! ....but.... what do I do about those housing autorizations? animal cops and animal control & licensing people? okay.., let's start with this, is there any law(s) stated that I CAN NOT have more than two cats under any circumstances? that's something we should care about where I've been keep on getting kicked out! :( :confused: :(

*buttocks completely bruised* :D

edit: oh and ratchet, how can I be SO happy when I'm getting these kinds of pressures "you can't", "that's law..."s, "health code: up to two cats!", and such...I don't want to sleep in the car with all of them in! (I haven't YET...) :rolleyes:

catfamily
03-22-2005, 05:41 PM
It depends on where you live.City to City has different laws about how many are allowed.I'd just keep quiet and not tell any neighbors at all.Their indoor so it shouldn't be a problem.Apartments are hard because people might hear them all or the landlord could find out.Be careful who knows.
I'm sorry you had to move often.This is stressful on any cat owner.I hope you don't have to go through that again.