PDA

View Full Version : How big do Plecos get?

binka_nugget
03-18-2005, 03:25 AM
After skimming over kt_luvs_kitties' thread, I'm just wondering how big they usually get? My cousin gave me his 10 gallon tank and fishes, so now I have some guppies, a frog, catfish and two plecos in there.

Eek.. hope they don't get TOO big.

LuvGold00
03-18-2005, 06:29 AM
I don't know the exact answer, but I think HUGE would be safe to say. :p :D

Lexi_Lover
03-18-2005, 08:38 AM
If you have dwarf, well, they will be small! :p Otherwise, BIG!

binka_nugget
03-18-2005, 09:47 AM
If they were to get big, would they both be okay in a 10 gallon?

LeahMM
03-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Correct me If I'm wrong but they only grow as big as they're surroundings. I had one in an 80 gallon tank that was about a foot and a half long yet the one I have now is in a 30 gallon tank and is only about 3" long. We've had it about 5 years.

lv4dogs
03-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by LeahMM
Correct me If I'm wrong but they only grow as big as they're surroundings. I had one in an 80 gallon tank that was about a foot and a half long yet the one I have now is in a 30 gallon tank and is only about 3" long. We've had it about 5 years.

That is what I have read too. But you do have to be careful as they are like goldfish in a way, they grow to their surroundings BUT sometimes they still get too big, especially if you have multiples &/or they are in a tiny tank.

chrissycat21
03-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Plecos will grow to their surrondings, but it is very unhealthy and basicly you are stunting their growth.

I have an 11" pleco living in a 75 gallon tank at my uncle's house.

A ten gallon is way to small for even one regular sized pleco.

This site will give you an idea of how big your pleco will get:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=837

I beleive the tank requirements and size are to the right.

Are the ones you have greenish brown? Those are the ones most commonly sold, and those will get around 11".

CathyBogart
03-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by LeahMM

Nope, it's a myth. Well, technically you can stunt their growth but you will also stunt their lifespan. Regular plecos get over a foot long - WAY too big for a ten gallon. Some dwarf species will live in a ten though. (Plecos can live over 20 years!!)

flamepony12
03-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi~

Since I raise & breed them, I think I would know! ;) The kinds that I raise, and the kind in kt_luvs_cats' thread, are called "dwarf albino bristlenose plecos"! :) Those are the ones you are referring to, right?

These types of plecos, full grown, only get to be about 2 or 3 inches long! :)

P.S.~ I think most of the people who have replied to this thread are referring to normal plecos, like Kay's Earle!

>>>Devon<<<

DogLover9501
03-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Unless they are dwarfs, I think that may be too small.

Our Pleco that we had was about 12+ inches long, he was given to us by my cousin because he had gotten too big for their tank.

CathyBogart
03-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by flamepony12
Hi~

Since I raise & breed them, I think I would know! ;) The kinds that I raise, and the kind in kt_luvs_cats' thread, are called "dwarf albino bristlenose plecos"! :) Those are the ones you are referring to, right?

These types of plecos, full grown, only get to be about 2 or 3 inches long! :)

P.S.~ I think most of the people who have replied to this thread are referring to normal plecos, like Kay's Earle!

>>>Devon<<<

I have a feelng you are right, but the original poster didn't specify what kind of pleco.

flamepony12
03-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
I have a feelng you are right, but the original poster didn't specify what kind of pleco.

except that she said, "I was skimming through kt_luvs_cats' thread..."
and in kt_luvs_cats' thread, I posted pictures of my dwarf plecos. ;)

PS- here is the thread she was referring to. :)
http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74317

binka_nugget
03-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually have no idea what kind they are.. :o

flamepony12
03-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually have no idea what kind they are.. :o

you were refferring to the ones in kt_luvs_kitties' thread, right? Those were dwarf albino bristlenose plecos. :)

tikeyas_mom
03-20-2005, 06:14 PM
I have worked with plecos all my life, alot of different types.

:::Spotted Sail Fin Plecostomus, Bushy Nose Plecostomus, Yellow-Gold plecostomus, Leopard plecostomus, Albinos, Common or Reg pleco, Columbian Zebra Plecos.

One Plecostomus Catfish in an aquarium is enough. They can become territorial when matured and will fight over small territory.. Plecos DONOT grow to their invironment.

They are the best algae eaters, but they'll eat almost anything else too. They will not keep your aquarium clean.

Most Plecostomus can live 10 years and probably much longer and grow to be at least 24" long, but they rarely exceed 12" in an aquarium.