PDA

View Full Version : Bittersweet Love Story

dukedogsmom
03-17-2005, 08:12 PM
But not the one you might think.........
Loyal dog (http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/zones/sundaytimesNEW/basket11st/basket11st1110870769.aspx)

SYDNEY - An elderly Australian man will be buried with his loyal dog after the animal spent almost a week guarding the deceased's body and appeared too miserable to live after being removed from his master.

The RSPCA in north-eastern Queensland state said that Jess, a cattle dog cross estimated to be about 12 years old, would be put to sleep and later cremated and buried with his owner.

The dog was found lying across the body of his 74-year-old owner who died in his Brisbane home.

The animal protection society was called in when the dog attempted to shield the dead man from ambulance officers who had come to take the body away.

"The dog would just growl and attack them basically," RSPCA Queensland spokesman Michael Beatty said. "It was just devoted to the owner."

Man and dog had been inseparable and while the RSPCA had originally attempted to care for the pet, they found him to be aggressive and unhappy while in their custody.

"He was a one-person dog," Beatty said, adding that the animal was old and not in perfect health.

The dog would likely have been euthanased within ten days for failing the RSPCA's behaviour test for animals to be given to the public, he said.

QueenScoopalot
03-17-2005, 08:32 PM
So touching that the dog was so totally devoted to his person. :( I'm glad they'll be together...it reminds me so much of the old time story of Greyfriers Bobby. :)

NoahsMommy
03-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I know it seems sad for the dog, but it sounds like the pup wouldn't be happy with anyone else.

How sweet...in a sad way.

slick
03-17-2005, 10:02 PM
OMG, my LES (Leaky Eye Syndrome) is really getting to me now. What a touching story. That brings up another question? If I were to die, would I want my pets buried along with me? I guess that's a whole other discussion for a doghouse thread.:( :(

flamepony12
03-17-2005, 10:11 PM
very touching!

delidog
03-18-2005, 06:16 AM
* Sniff *...
Such a SAd STory....

ramanth
03-18-2005, 08:45 AM
How sad, yet sweet.

moosmom
03-18-2005, 08:50 AM
What a wonderful, bittersweet story!

When my Dad was found dead in his apartment after 3 days, the medical examiner's office went into pick up his body. His beloved cat Tigger, who had been closed in the apartment with him on a hot August day, began growling, hissing and spitting everytime they went near him. I had to calm him down and put him in a carrier so they could take my Dad away :(. Tigger lived for 3 more years, quietly dying in his sleep in his favorite spot, in front of the sliding glass window, in the sun. :(

Suki Wingy
03-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Very touching story. Cremated though:confused:

Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Greyfriers Bobby. :)
Is that the Skye Terrier?

QueenScoopalot
03-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
Very touching story. Cremated though:confused:

Is that the Skye Terrier?
Same one! :)
http://www.greyfriarsbobby.co.uk/
Although there's disputes as to whether he was a Cairn terrier, or Skye.:o I have a very old statue of Greyfriars Bobby...love to know what it would go for on Ebay.