PDA

View Full Version : Probably out of commission for a bit

K9soul
03-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Apparently I've been pushing things too far with my typing. Yesterday started having my arm/wrist problems flare up (pain, numbness, tingling), but I ignored it and pushed on with work (and with posting :o) anyway. It's pretty bad this morning, to the point where I can tell I will need a few days away from most typing. My participation will be low to nil for a bit until I can recover, as my check depends on my ability to type. Just thought I'd give a brief explanation for those who may wonder why I'm so quiet. :)

slick
03-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Take it easy Jessica and come back when you can.

{{{hugs}}}
slick xo

RobiLee
03-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Oh, Jessica, I will miss you. I know you must heal though. So be good and don't do any typing unless you absolutely have to.

I can't really remember if you have said, but I was wondering if you have had this problem checked out.

Lots of healing prayers coming your way!

Take care and big hugs for you.......Robin :)

aly
03-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Feel better soon, Jessica! We'll miss you! Can't wait until you can post again :)

Logan
03-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Typing for a living, as you do, plus enjoying these boards as much as we all do, is lethal on the wrists, arms and neck. I've had my share of problems, myself, and every doctor I've visited kept reminding me about proper posture, ergonomically correct chairs, keyboards, etc. I'm sure you've thought of all of that. I have had constant problems with my right arm and hand over the last 3-4 years, with numbness, sometimes pain. Right now, it is my right thumb for some reason that is tingling, not painful, but numb and annoying.

Take care of yourself and we'll be so happy to see you back at 100%!

Logan :)

Queen of Poop
03-17-2005, 10:46 AM
I can truly understand your pain. I have carpal tunnel syndrome. I've had it since I was 26 (now 39). I had the surgery at 26, which worked for 3 months. I've tried EVERYTHING since then. I have an ergonomic keyboard where I type on the vertical (Comfort Keyboard System). I find it helps greatly. I also use a track ball type mouse rather than a regular mouse. To keep my hands loose I see the chiropractor once a week and he adjusts my wrists, how much depends on how bad they are. I also tried the talk software for a while but found it couldn't handle the technical nature of my job. I offer this information with the hope that something that I've done/learned can be helpful to you. Please take care, rest your hands and know that you do not suffer alone.

ramanth
03-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Get better soon! I know what you mean though... every now and then, my right wrist will ache so bad. I think I need one of those braces for work.

K9soul
03-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Thank you for all the well wishes and commisseration everyone :). I do know that it's repetitive stress related, I spend A LOT of time on the computer between work, the board, and writing my family/friends. Last time I used rest, ice, and weights/stretching exercises the way I was shown in physical therapy, and it did clear up. Will do the same again. I do have a good chair and ergonomic keyboard, but I know as the day goes on I slouch more in my chair, and I haven't been doing my stretches :o

Ok I'm going! I know I should cut out the typing. It's hard.. for me it's like not talking! :p

dukedogsmom
03-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Do you ever wear the things on your wrists? I wear one at work sometimes when mine start hurting. However, mine aren't near as serious, I'm sure. Get well soon!

wolfsoul
03-17-2005, 03:40 PM
I hope it feels better soon! :) I had wrist pain for a while once. Maybe from typing. It finally just went away on it's own. Hope that you won't be off the computer too much.

shais_mom
03-18-2005, 12:11 AM
aawww feel better asap Jess!

Oggyflute
03-18-2005, 12:39 AM
I know what you mean mate, and I just use 4 fingers. :D

Hope it gets better soon.:)