PDA

View Full Version : Dogs left in cars

Elizabeth
09-13-2000, 05:49 PM
I have been so upset this summer because I have found dogs left in cars in parking lots while their owners are shopping. They must not be aware that the car gets so hot that only a few minutes of this heat can kill their pet, even if windows are left open. There used to be public service adds on tv to warn people of the danger of doing this, but they haven't been on in a long time. Does anyone know of any printed material available that could put on the windshields of owners who do this to let them know?

carrie
10-13-2000, 02:03 PM
Hi,
I know of an effective and satisfying way of dealing with this, but first a word of caution. Nobody, even the most ignorant of pet owners, take kindly to interference and you will put yourself in danger if you face these people DON'T DO IT.
I have always used the following method unless the dog is under extreme stress and you feel action must be instant. Move away from the offending car and take down the number, make sure it is not obvious you are watching the car. Write a note along the lines of... Your dog has been in distress for some time due to the heat that has built up in your car. I have phoned the appropriate authority and given them your registration number and the exact place that you have left your vehicle. If you come back to your car before help for your dog arrives please be aware that your car is on file and any further reports of animals being in distress will be treated most seriously.

If after 10 minutes nothing has happened, or sooner if the dogs condition has worsened call the police and ask them to come or agree to forced entry of the vehicle, leave another note to this effect.

Elizabeth
10-14-2000, 07:05 PM
Thanks Carrie! That sounds like a great idea!

carrie
10-14-2000, 07:38 PM
Hi,
I'm glad you like it - just please be careful and don't allow yourself to be in a dangerous position.

cookieluver7
11-01-2004, 04:57 PM
I don't have a dog, but I love them. It is really a shame that they are left in a car. I know their owners love them and hate to leave them at home, but they should seriously consider doing something else. Those poor puppies. They could easily get stolen too or worse....? I'm glad you posted this thread.... so that people know not to leave their dogs in the car and so they know the danger that their puppies are in. Thanks for posting this thread as a warning.

Fox-Gal
11-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Just the other week, I got into it with a man, because he left his dog in the car. We where at the post office and when I got out, there was this cute little pup, crying in the truck.

I did just about what was said here, wrote down the tag # called it in and then waited. The man came out a few min's later and me being the dummy I am told him, I called. Never do that, again :eek: My big mistake, all H#$L broke out between the two of us. Luckly there was enough people around that I didn't feel like I was in danger of getting hurt by this man. But needless to say, he wasn't happy.

It was the same old story, "I was only in there a min, the dog was fine and she hates to be without me etc etc.." :mad: :mad: :mad: We live in Florida, the dog was not fine......... it's hot here and even a few min's is bad. and if your dog hates to be left alone, she/he will have to get over it for her/his safety. Whats more important, your dogs life/health or the fact that they don't like to be left alone? :rolleyes: To many people think the wrong way.

Sorry for the vent, it's just this thread reminded me of that jerk again.