PDA

View Full Version : Two-Socks/Dances w/ Wolves

lbaker
12-12-2001, 07:40 PM
Just happened to be watching it again, and the scene where JCostner first offers, and it's accepted by two-socks, a bite of jerky or something...for some reason - though I've seen it a dozen times - HIT me hard :confused: and I found myself weeping.. my late husband and I adored that movie and now I'm weird with it...so many scenes..all of a sudden...weird.. :confused: sorry..no response needed.. just had to say it. damn.
laurie

sammi
12-12-2001, 09:29 PM
Movies just like music brings back alot of memories. Christmas is like that too - gets you thinking about Christmas past some good and some not so good.

lbaker
12-15-2001, 08:57 PM
..yeah, thanks sammi .... I hope everyone's holiday's are fine and gentle.... :)
laurie

jackiesdaisy1935
12-16-2001, 10:02 AM
I think you are right, christmas does make you think back about all those Christmases long ago, well maybe not that long ago for you, but for me long, long ago. In fact last night we were looking at family movies we hadn't seen in ages and some were sad and some were hilarious.
One of my most favorite movies has always been "A Christmas Carol" from Alistar Sims to the more modern versions.
Jackie

4 feline house
12-16-2001, 01:18 PM
My favorite Christmas movie is so old I don't even remember the name of it. It was a made-for-TV movie, and it only showed a couple of times, it would have been somehwere around 1970 (I know, I know, some of the Pet Talkers weren't even BORN yet!)

It was about a little boy who lived in the inner city. He was so poor and had such a bad home life that he didn't have much hope and didn't really care about anything. He was headed to a life of crime and drugs.

But one day, he found a little kitten in an abandoned refrigerator. He knew he couldn't bring it home, so he snuck blankets and food to him. When his mom realized how much tuna was going missing from the pantry she confronted him, and he admitted he was feeding the kitten. She told him to stop. He then started doing odd jobs to buy the kitty food. We saw how suddenly he was a different little boy when he had something to love and care for and something to love him back.

But this was the inner city, and the little kitty was killed in traffic.

The boy was devastated, but soon began to realize all the lessons the little kitty had taught him - that through love, understanding and compassion there is hope and a reason to live.

Since it was set during Christmas, I assume it has an allegory about the birth of Christ.

Sorry this is so long, but after all these years I still remember that movie.

jackiesdaisy1935
12-16-2001, 06:44 PM
I think you told the story wonderfully and it was sad but made a very good point in that the little kitten had made such a difference in this little inner city boy's life. I would wish I had seen that one. Not many good Christmas movies out now, not much to pick from.
Jackie

gini
12-16-2001, 11:45 PM
Gee whiz, Leah, I started to get teary eyed just reading about the story. I call those a full Kleenex box movie - and I love them.

Jackie is right. We used to have such good Christmas movies or television specials and you just have to hunt to even find a rerun of an old one.

sammi
12-16-2001, 11:49 PM
Does anyone recall the movie "The Little Match Girl"? It was shown late 1950's or early 1960's LIKE WAY WAY B/4 MOST OF YOU WERE BORN!!!! It was about a very poor little girl selling matches on a street corner on Christmas Eve. It was very sad. The movie was updated in the 70's but it was just not the same.

4 feline house
12-17-2001, 12:52 AM
I just recently saw it in the listings on TCM or AMC, but I didn't get a chance to see it. I know I saw it when I was a little girl but I don't remember the story line.

Edwina's Secretary
12-17-2001, 04:01 PM
Forgive me for being "low-tech" but "The Little Match Girl" a Victorian/Dickenism story was one of my favorite BOOKS about Christmas...right along with "A Bird's Christmas Carol." Both of these books... which can still make me cry are available. I just bought A Bird's Christmas Carol" for my 8 year old niece and read it through before giving to her!

jackiesdaisy1935
12-17-2001, 05:00 PM
Edwina's Secratary, you will not believe this I am 66 years old and my mother bought me the book "The Birds Christmas Carol" by Kate Douglas Wiggin when I was a little girl and I still have it. The inscription in the book says "To Our own Little Girl from Mother and Dad, December 25, 1945", it's a little yellow and worn but still intact.
I'm sure your niece will truly enjoy the book
Jackie

Edwina's Secretary
12-17-2001, 05:05 PM
Jackie -- What a wonderful treasure you have! And inscribed by your parents! Isn't it a great story? I'm not sure when it was written but, like the Little Match Girl, it is a story "with legs."

sammi
12-17-2001, 06:42 PM
Edwina's Sec. Where can you buy the book? "The Little Match Girl" that is. I don't even remember how it ends up just that it left an impresion on me.
How lovely for you Jackie! That is a real keepsake.

Edwina's Secretary
12-18-2001, 09:04 AM
As I recall the ending is sad (after all it is a Victorian morality story!) The ending may have been "made happy" for T.V. I have seen both books in used book stores/antique stores. Also, I just checked on Barnes and Noble and they have it. According to them it is a Hans Christen Andersen book!

jennifert
12-18-2001, 10:48 AM
"Black Beauty" had to be my absolutely favorite book growing up! (I know I'm a little off-topic since we're talking about Christmas stories but it's about books and animals still! :) )
As a child, like 5 or 6, I carried it around with me everywhere! Until one day I left it on the swing-set in the rain! I was so disappointed and I didn't get any sympathy form my parents since it was "irresponsible" Last year for Christmas, my brother bought me the book and the movie! I still love it. But I cry every single time!!

thelmalu99
12-18-2001, 11:57 AM
Leah, I also got teary-eyed reading your post about the little boy and the kitten. I have never heard of that movie (PS-I was born in 1970, and I'm not that old, LOL! :D ). If you ever do remember or find out the name of that movie, please let me know. I would love to get it. :)

karen israel
12-18-2001, 12:22 PM
Yeah, sniff, sniff, sob, sob, weep, weep...
Things are just not the way they were! I have such lovely memories..sigh! I read that "It's a Wonderful World" can only be shown once this year, instead of every week like it used to..don't know why and I may have misread the article. Jackie..true! What a keepsake you have! Would you believe my mother has kept every holiday and birthday card the family ever got? I still have a few stuffed dogs (whatelse?) in decent condition that I saved for old time sake!

jackiesdaisy1935
12-18-2001, 06:12 PM
Karen, does your mother do like I grew up to do. If you get something really nice for a birthday present or Christmas, you don't use it, you may need it someday, save that pretty sweater, you might not have one some day, save those gold earrings, you might not be able to afford gold some day. I think it's a New England thing born out of living during the second world war when "things" were scarce and you saved whatever ever you got for a rainy day. I was laughing telling Don that our rainy days are here and we might as well use the good china, silverware and everything else we have boxed up. LOL
Jackie