PDA

View Full Version : Senate votes to open Alaskan wildlife refuge to oil drilling...

jennifert9
03-16-2005, 01:23 PM
WASHINGTON - Amid the backdrop of soaring oil and gasoline prices, a sharply divided Senate on Wednesday voted to open the ecologically rich Alaska wildlife refuge to oil drilling, delivering a major energy policy win for President Bush.

The Senate, by a 51-49 vote, rejected an attempt by Democrats and GOP moderates to remove a refuge drilling provision from next year’s budget, preventing opponents from using a filibuster — a tactic that has blocked repeated past attempts to open the Alaska refuge to oil companies.

Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, who for more than two decades has been unable to persuade Congress to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil companies, had earlier said he was optimistic this time.

“We believe we have the votes,” Stevens said at a news conference Tuesday. Alaska officials view the refuge’s oil as replacing dwindling shipments from the aging Prudhoe Bay fields on the North Slope.

Seeking to sidestep a Democratic filibuster that would require 60 votes to overcome, Republican leaders put the Alaska refuge provision into a budget document that is immune to a filibuster under Senate rules. Opponents had hoped to garner the 51 votes needed to strip the provision from the budget.

During several hours of Senate debate Tuesday, Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., said that even at peak production the refuge would account for less than 2.5 percent of U.S. oil needs. “How in the world can this be the centerpiece of our energy policy?” asked Durbin, arguing that more conservation and more fuel efficient automobiles would save more oil than the Alaska refuge would produce.

Sen. Pete Domenici, R-N.M., a staunch supporter of drilling, said the refuge’s oil represents “the most significant onshore production capacity” in the country. “We should do everything we can to produce as much as we can,” he said, citing the country’s growing dependence on oil imports.

‘Fragile environment’
Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, rejected claims that oil rigs and pipelines would ruin a national environmental treasure, as critics charge. “We know we’ve got to do it right. ... It’s a fragile environment,” said Murkowski, adding that oil companies in Alaska are subject to the most stringent environmental requirements in the world.

Democrats complained that an issue as divisive as opening a pristine area of wild land, specifically protected by Congress from development, should be debated independently and not as part of the budget process.

“They want to sneak this into the budget,” said Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash.

Drilling supporters have tried for years to allow oil companies access to what is believed to be billions of barrels of oil beneath the refuge’s 1.5-million acre coastal plain.

President Bush has made access to the refuge’s oil a key part of his energy agenda. Last week, Bush declared that 10 billion barrels of oil could be pumped from the refuge and that it could be done “with almost no impact on land or wildlife.”

Environmentalists argue that while new technologies have reduced the drilling footprint, ANWR’s coastal plain still would contain a spider web of pipelines that would disrupt calving caribou and disturb polar bears, musk oxen and the annual influx of millions of migratory birds.

‘No effect’
Developing the oil “is going to have no effect in the long-term on America’s energy future,” Kerry told reporters. Even if the refuge were to supply 1 million barrels of oil a day, at its peak expected production, the United States would remain heavily dependent on foreign oil unless there were serious efforts to reduce consumption, he said.

How much oil would be economically recoverable from the refuge is still unclear.

Only one exploratory well has been drilled, and the results have been kept secret. The U.S. Geological Survey, using seismic studies, estimated in 1998 that between 5.6 billion to 16 billion barrels of technically recoverable oil is likely to be beneath the refuge’s tundra.

But how much of that oil would be attractive to oil companies would depend on the price of oil. In recent years a number of major oil companies have stopped lobbying for opening ANWR, focusing their activities elsewhere in the world.

Interior Secretary Gale Norton said she has no doubt that oil companies would seek out exploratory leases in the Alaska refuge. If given a go-ahead from Congress, she said, she would expect to begin offering leases in 2007 with refuge oil beginning to flow down the Alaska pipeline “seven or 10 years after that.”

Last week, the House refused to include an ANWR provision in its budget document, although any differences between the Senate and House versions would likely be resolved in negotiations.

The House has repeatedly passed measures over the years to allow drilling in ANWR only to see the legislation stalled in the Senate.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material

RICHARD
03-16-2005, 01:27 PM
HMMMMMM...

We went to war with Iraq for the oil.......

And we still are getting screwed at the pump.

I think it's a vast Right Wing conspiracy.

Something to keep the Left busy.....God knows they need something to complain about.:confused: :rolleyes: :o :mad:

ramanth
03-16-2005, 02:15 PM
*sighs*

RICHARD
03-16-2005, 02:36 PM
ANWAR oil has a high sulphur content and the refineries in America do not have the capability to process that type of oil,
We depend on Light Sweet Crude Oil......

This oil is most likely to be exported to foreign refineries.

:confused: :rolleyes:

Pit Chick
03-16-2005, 04:45 PM
I think it was 20/20 that was showing a segment about drilling in Alaska and how environmentalists say it will frighten and disrupt wildlife. Then they showed some footage of a herd of carribou grazing under this pipline where the vibrations from the pipes were keeping masquitos from mauling the carribou. Not saying I'm all for them drilling in these refuges, but apparently the wildlife don't mind very much. I say screw oil, bring on the fuel efficient cars already.

KYS
03-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Drilling in AK wildlife refuge is not going to solve our oil problem. :mad:

Glacier
03-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Pit Chick
I think it was 20/20 that was showing a segment about drilling in Alaska and how environmentalists say it will frighten and disrupt wildlife. Then they showed some footage of a herd of carribou grazing under this pipline where the vibrations from the pipes were keeping masquitos from mauling the carribou. Not saying I'm all for them drilling in these refuges, but apparently the wildlife don't mind very much. I say screw oil, bring on the fuel efficient cars already.

That would be near the Fairbanks pipeline--already a heavily(for the north) populated area, where the wildlife are used to roads, cars, humans and the pipeline has been there for 30 odd years. ANWR is a completely different enviroment. It is entirely uninhabited and accessible only by boat or plane, or an extremely long hike. There is no road access. The Porpucpine Caribou herd is a vunerable herd. Those calving grounds are vital to their survival. In return, that herd is vital to the survival of a number of First Nations Bands. Try to remember that there are still places in the North where supermarkets don't exsist.

Drilling in ANWR is a horrific decision. The repurcusions will be felt for years and not a damn one of them will be any good. The oil reserves in the refuge will be exhaused in 6 years. There is no way to return that area to it's true wilderness state after the oil is gone. The damage is already done.

That freaking pipeline they want to build to get the oil out of ANWR is supposed to run within 100 feet of my HOUSE!!! The trail I run my dog team down, this little piece of heaven is slated to turned into a pipeline reserve.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/headinghome.jpg
Where Sleet is standing will be cleared and full of metal. Hell will freeze over before I allow that happen without a fight!

lizbud
03-17-2005, 06:21 PM
This bill passed the Senate by just a few votes. It still has
to pass the House vote. It's not a done deal yet, no thanks
to the Republican majority in government. Very bad idea.

CathyBogart
03-17-2005, 06:54 PM
This breaks my heart...

Suki Wingy
03-17-2005, 08:10 PM
:( :mad: :( :(

Pit Chick
03-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks for clarifying Glacier. I hope you put up a good fight for the land.