PDA

View Full Version : Which looks better?

catnapper
03-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Please forgive me for obsessing over my new bed! :D

Explanation to follow the pictures, we were thinking of just saying "forget it" about the footboard to our new bed. I want to be sure that the bed looks better without it first. It seems there would be SOME benefit without the footboard: Nicki would have an easier time getting in and out of bed. Anything to help my old girl! :D Also, the room looks less cluttered without it. But it does look more "complete" with it, and we paid to have a bed that has a footboard.

(I have not put the bedskirt on yet - just made the bed. so pretend everything is lovely and organized! :D)

Without the footboard as you enter the room:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/nofootboard1.jpg

Further into the room:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/nofootboard2.jpg

Looking at bed from opposite corner of room:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/nofootboard3.jpg

With the footboard as you enter the room:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/footboard1.jpg

Further in the room:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/footboard2.jpg

Opposite corner:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/footboard3.jpg

We got a new bed this week - last night was a looong saga of getting the @#$%^& bed frame. Long story short - we went to a few stores in town, and they were all out of stock in King sized bedframes (why, you'd think it was a staple item to have in their warehouse :rolleyes: ) I called many stores looking for one store that would have it. Hurrah, I found a store that had 300 in their warehouse... and all we had to do was go to the store, pay the money, then travel to the warehouse. Blah. But we did it.

We went to pay, and the frame came to $100 instead of the $60 quoted over the phone. No matter, we were tired of the search and just wanted our bed done and put together. So we paid and traveled another 20 minutes to get to their warehouse. Then the long ride home. We started to put the frame together last night, and the salesgirl rung up the wrong item! Its for a King headboard only!!!

I called the store and she said "ooops... I rung the wrong item up!" No kidding! :rolleyes: Then she put us on hold forever, and said "well the $60 you were quoted over the phone was correct - its cheaper for the frame that supports a headboard and footboard. You have to return the frame you have to get the one you want." ok, but that requires: Driving to the warehouse to return the wrong item. Go BACK to the store to get the RIGHT product, and our money back on the wrong product. Return back to the warehouse to get the right item. Can we just go to the store first, then the warehouse and be done with it? no. URG!

Is all that mess worth it? We were looking last night and rather like the simplicity of no footboard.

sirrahbed
03-16-2005, 08:06 AM
Ok just my opinion but I *really* think the footboard completes the bed. Beds without footboards always remind me of motels:p

It is lovely both ways, Kim, but my vote is for the footboard:D I know it makes the bed harder to make and you also have to split the bedskirt to make it hang right:rolleyes:

Since the frame problem was *their mistake* - maybe you can complain about the hassle and keep the board you have at the quoted price - or insist they come exchange it themselves. It feels really *GREAT* to complain and insist on what you want;)

ramanth
03-16-2005, 08:48 AM
I voted without, only because you said it would be easier for Nicki. :D

But I think it looks nice either way. :)

chrangharris
03-16-2005, 08:51 AM
What a hassle!!! I like it without the footboard- it make it seem more open and spacious! (besides, I need to be contrary to Deb :p )

catnapper
03-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by chrangharris
What a hassle!!! I like it without the footboard- it make it seem more open and spacious! (besides, I need to be contrary to Deb :p )
Now stop picking on your mom!

Yes, it IS a hassle, but I might just call the store and complain. It IS fun complaining sometimes! ;) We are too busy right now to be running around like madhatters to get this replaced. BUT if they come and pick it up, and drop off the right bedframe... well... thats another story all together. :D

slleipnir
03-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Ok just my opinion but I *really* think the footboard completes the bed. Beds without footboards always remind me of motels:p

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing!

chrangharris
03-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
Now stop picking on your mom!

You only pick on the ones you love!

Samantha Puppy
03-16-2005, 09:11 AM
I think bed without a footboard look like generic hotel beds. I think the frame is lovely, you paid for the piece, so why not use it? Definitely WITH the footboard.

jazzcat
03-16-2005, 11:48 AM
I voted for without the footboard. It looks great with it though, I'm just not a footboard person. I've stubbed my toe on too many of them.

We have been searching for a new bedroom furniture for over a year and the bed is almost always the problem for us. We just want a headboard and about everything out there right now is a sleighbed. On top of that we have an extremely heavy mattress that we had special made with memory foam and we can't use siderails and slats with it, we must use the heavy steel frame that came with it. I wish we could find a solid wood headboard we liked. Maybe some day.

cali
03-16-2005, 11:50 AM
I voted with, I personally to not have a bed with a foot board, but I really like yours and it makes it look way prettier with it on.

Logan
03-16-2005, 11:52 AM
I agree with Audrey and Debbie. The footboard completes the bed, but I know what you mean about appearing to have more space without it.

The bed, and the room, are lovely, by the way! :)

NoahsMommy
03-16-2005, 12:22 PM
I like it with the footboard. It completes the look. I guess its more formal.

:) Pretty bed and spread!

GraciesMommy
03-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Same here WITH...reminds me of a hotel too..
very pretty!

catnapper
03-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Debbie, I never thought of it looking like a motel. I'll point that out to Grant. As it is now, he's leaning toward no footboard because of Nicki. He wants to make sure she can get in and out of bed without too much problem. Her bed is right in front of the balcony door, so without the footboard she can jump from our bed into her own. I love that he's so worried about her sore joints! :)

Lori, you and I are cut from the same klutz cloth! Whenever I have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I must trip over twenty things and bump into at least one wall!

I like the footboard because it completes the bed. I hate the idea of having it and not using it, but I also feel it clutters things, and Lord knows I have enough clutter in my room without any help. :D

To make matters all the more confusing, we have a really nice bedroom dresser set in the guest room which I could switch out into my bedroom. I HATE the ivory color, so I'd have to refinish it (not to mention the kids stuck stickers up and down the sides of it... and they are NOT peeling off.) I wouldn't look forward to stripping, sanding and refinishing them, but they are GOOD pieces of fruniture (dove tailed joints and all) and I think the style of them would look nice with the bed --- what do you all think? Here's a picture of it in the guest room:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/kimmel101/house/house-attic1.jpg

GraciesMommy
03-16-2005, 12:43 PM
I love it! Looks antique, is it?

Felicia's Mom
03-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I like it better without the footboard. They both look nice though.

Felicia's Mom
03-16-2005, 04:02 PM
I meant to say with the footboard. Sorry about that.:o :o :o

kimlovescats
03-16-2005, 04:04 PM
I know that footboards *can* be a pain when making a bed ... as our bed has one too. HOWEVER, as an *interior designer wannabe* :eek: I would have to vote FOR the footboard. It adds detail, height and style to the room. KEEP IT!

Also, LOVE the dresser, instead of painting it, can I have it!!!???:eek: :eek: :D ;) Yep, move it into your room, who needs guests anyway? :eek: :D

Kim

Logan
03-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey Jazzcat, have you considered making your own headboard? I have never done it, but we have two solid wood paneled doors in our garage that Scott swears he will make into a headboard and footboard for Elizabeth's bed one day. They are very old and very heavy and must have 10,000 coats of paint on them. They are not a top priority right now, but they will make a lovely headboard one day. And I've seen beautiful fabic covered headboards on home design shows and in magazines too. I think you use plywood, cut the way you want it, then pad and cover it with fabric of your choice. I love the idea of a soft headboard to lean against to read and watch television. Ours is enormous and very "manly" because Scott bought our bedroom suit right before we met, so of course we had to use it. No more brass bed with white comforter for me! :rolleyes:

Just an idea.........

Hey Catnapper, let us know what you decide. :)
Logan

Kfamr
03-16-2005, 04:52 PM
I like the look better with it, but you mentioned that it helps Nicki without it. Whatever if best for your girl, I think.. That's what i'd do.
But, maybe you could get or build a stair or two to help her get up and down? That's what my neighbors did for their 16 year old mutt. :)

Edwina's Secretary
03-16-2005, 04:53 PM
I voted for "with the headboard" partly for a practical reason. It helps keep the covers from slidding off the bottom of the bed...:D :D

When I was doing an online search for headboards for the guest room here I found places that sell the frame which you cover with your own material.... I thought about doing it...

Uabassoon
03-16-2005, 04:54 PM
When I first looked at the pictures I thought it looks great without the footboard. Then I scrolled down and actually saw the footboard and I think it makes the bed look better. But it does look good without it, and if it's a hassle then don't bother with it. Your room looks great without it.

LauraT7
03-16-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm weird, I admit it.

I like the bed with the footboard, but I think it's too much unless there's lots of space around the bed - esp the foot.

I haven't had a footboard on a bed since I was living at home with mom and dad - and then I had a bunk bed ;-) !

After I married, we had a softsider waterbed, and our house had a HUGE bedroom, and I really wanted a four-poster frame for it, but couldn't afford it.

now I'm glad, as the homes I've lived in since had much smaller bedrooms and a footboard - esp one that came up higher than the bed itself, would have made the rooms seem even smaller.

I vote for without - esp if the dog is going to be getting on and off the bed.

laura

RobiLee
03-16-2005, 10:50 PM
I vote for "without".

I thought the footboard looked great and I love the bed but I felt it made the room look smaller and more cluttered. I have a small bedroom so we went without also.

Oggyflute
03-16-2005, 10:58 PM
It looks a lot more stylish with the footboard and really completes the look. Voting seems almost neck & neck though.:D

anna_66
03-16-2005, 11:37 PM
I think it looks great either way, but I love the look of it "with" the headboard. And like was said earlier, the covers don't slide off and you could make a custom stair (my neice has done this for her dog because her bed was too far off the ground).

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-17-2005, 02:14 AM
I vote "with" ! It gives an extra touch to the bed!

catnapper
03-17-2005, 05:34 AM
Thanks again guys! The custom stair is out of the question - no room! The photos are decieving. There is only 12" from my dresser to my side of the bed --- SMALL walkways. There is only 33" on the other side of the bed to the other furniture, and Nicki will not get in on that side because thats my husband's side. When she gets into bed, she gets in on the foot of the bed, or my side. She will get in on hubby's side, but only when he's not in bed (nothing to do with hubby, all to do with when she was a puppy I lived with mny parents. my dad insisted dogs do not get on the furniture... and he slept on the same side of the bed as hubby. She learned to never get in bed on that side when dad was home.) At the foot of the bed, there is only 40" from the bed to the wall. There won't be any room once the balcony door is open in warm weather. My room is a nice size, until you add this monsterous sized bed into it :D

The more I think about it, the more I want Nicki to be happy in the room more so than having a headboard. We can always store the headboard and put it up in a few years.

Mad Mags Moo
03-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Decisions decisions!! I would keep it without!
Love your room Kim.....too tidy though!!!!:)

Lillycat
03-17-2005, 05:21 PM
either way is fine......but i vote "without".....looks more spacious and airy.....

popcornbird
03-17-2005, 06:19 PM
The footboard is beautiful, but I think I like it better without it, as it looks more spacious. Either way is nice...but personally, I'd prefer not having it.

kuhio98
03-17-2005, 06:53 PM
I voted without. I've never liked footboards. Always stubbing my toes on them.

Josh4Colts
03-18-2005, 08:38 PM
I hate being scrunched up, i wouldn't go with the footboard.

cookieluver7
03-18-2005, 09:14 PM
I voted with.

Vette
03-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Im with Popcorn bird. i think it looks more roomier without it,, but does look good either way.

K9karen
03-19-2005, 01:23 AM
I've never had a footboard only because I'm a real rough sleeper: I toss and turn and like to stretch out. But I love your bed frames and bedspread and colors, they're beautiful. Right now, I doubt I'd care what I'd sleep on because I'm still nesting in a hospital bed with upright head and can't wait to be able to sleep normally on anything else again. Even Klo's pillow looks better to me right now!!