PDA

View Full Version : This Ad Got My Attention

Pam
12-09-2001, 06:42 AM
The following ad got my attention so I hope it gets lots of other people's attention too. The ad has a picture of an adorable kitten and the following message. It is put out by a local volunteer shelter.

THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON LIVING

...and growing
...and eating
...and scratching
...and urinating
...and defecating
...and getting sick
...and needing care and attention
...for years
...and years
...and years

No one should have a pet unless that person understands the commitment involved, and is willing to accept that responsibility.

The well cared for pet lives for approximately 15 years. That represents a major commitment of time and money. It is a large, long-term responsibility that should not be undertaken lightly.

It's a decision that should be made by the person who will have that responsibility.

Pets are not toys or trinkets.
Do not give pets as gifts.
Give a pet as a gift, and you may be giving a gift that will never have the chance to keep on living.

Logan
12-09-2001, 08:58 AM
Oh, Pam, that hits the nail on the head, doesn't it? Many of my rescue friends have cut off all adoptions until after Christmas for this exact reason.

jackiesdaisy1935
12-09-2001, 11:35 AM
That should be posted everywhere, I'm glad they cut off adoptions until after the holidays. Some people have good intentions and then the poor animal ends up in the shelter because in the end they really weren't wanted.
Jackie

zippy-kat
12-09-2001, 01:04 PM
Wow! That def. grabs your attention doesn't it?

Here the pound puts out bumper stickers that says They Don't Need Balls to Play. Spay or neuter your pet!

purrley
12-10-2001, 12:48 PM
Wow that's exactly it - if only every single pet owner or potential pet owner would heed each one of those. They can enhance your life and they ARE for life.

Oh by the way I love the poster my vet has posted in his lobby - "Your animals may roam free, but please keep your kids on a leash"
:D :D

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

sammi
12-10-2001, 03:07 PM
Boy that does say it all. Wish it could be posted in every rescue, pet shop, and in the want ads before "Free cat / dog etc."

AvaJoy
12-15-2001, 06:09 PM
Someone had their thinking cap on when they came up with that terrific ad . . . was it in print or on TV? It should be a nationally - no, make that Worldwide - run TV and radio public service announcement.

Just maybe it would make a few people think twice, thus sparing yet more castaway kittens. :mad:

Pam
12-15-2001, 10:44 PM
AvaJoy it was in the New Jersey Courier Post. You may even get it up where you live. Actually the picture of the kitten on top part of the ad got my attention and caused me to stop and read it.