PDA

View Full Version : Yuck.. gross... ewwww

catnapper
03-16-2005, 06:47 AM
Ok, I knew Allen had feline acne. Been trying to clean it. I hadn't cleaned it for three days for two reasons - one: he ran from me every time he saw me. I figured give him a few days alone because what harm could that do? (Wrong assumption!) and Two: I've been so busy with work and the house, that I haven't had the time to hunt down a resentful orangie to clean and scrub his dirty chin.

Well, this morning, the resentful orangie was sunning himself in the basket, and I took the opportunity to swoop in and clean his chin. I was SHOCKED at it! Its not little black specks on the fur anymore --- they are HUGE black oily deposits that go into his pores -- like human black heads, only GROSSER. They are HUGE. I pressed on one and it came out, others would not. All the while he SCREAMED his head off. His chin is all puffy and pimply.

I don't think morning cleanings are going to cut it anymore. Can I put something stronger like Oxi Clean or Clearasil on his chin? Will that hurt him? I'd call my vet, but they aren't open for another hour and half.

I feel so bad for my big orange guy. I kick myself for letting it get this bad. HOW did it get this bad? Two weeks ago, he had NO acne. Today its terrible!

Craftlady
03-16-2005, 06:55 AM
I would use hydrogen proxide. Nontoxic and it cleans and heals at the same time.

catnapper
03-16-2005, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Craftlady
I would use hydrogen proxide. Nontoxic and it cleans and heals at the same time.
Thats what I've been using, and it seems to have no effect on him what-so-ever. It worked wonderfully for Harry's little spot. His was gone in a day. Allen's seems to want to stick around for a while. :eek: :rolleyes: :(

Lacey
03-16-2005, 08:03 AM
I remember with Mowgli that I'd take a rag and soak it good in hot water, then press it onto his chin for a bit, follow that up with hydrogen peroxide, and then another hot rag treatment. He absolutely hated it, and it took several weeks to get all the black crusties off, but it did (eventually) clear up. Also, if Allen's eating out of plastic bowls, switch him to metal or ceramic. That's all I know to do for kitty zits. :)

catnapper
03-16-2005, 08:05 AM
Funny you just said that -- two minutes ago I head CRASH, and it was the cats knocking off their ceraminc food dish. They USED to have a ceramic food dish, but as of two minutes ago... they have nothing. Off to the store to buy a FEW ceramic dishes.

I will look in the store to seeif they have anything in the pet store for bad feline acne.

moosmom
03-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Maya Linn always gets kitty acne. I use CVS brand of 2% Benzoil Peroxide. First I scrub her chin with a exfoliating sponge, which opens up the pores. I dry her chin and then goop it up with the Benzoil Peroxide. It works very well!!

jenluckenbach
03-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Rutherford had a case of acne once and it also became quite bad (like you are descreibing). but consistant washing (I used alcohol, but peroxide is good) and then triple antibiotic cream and eventually it cleared up perfectly.

You might just need to wait it out.

I would be careful about human medications on cats. They are very sensitive and also might ingest it.

catmandu
03-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Luckily,I have never had that problem,at the Found Cat Hotel,it would probably,be the White Coats,as I ,am not much good,at medicating them.i can barely,get them still,to clip,thier nails!

RedHedd
03-16-2005, 05:26 PM
My RB Goldie used to have kitty acne. The vet prescribed cleansing with the peroxide followed by Neosporin. Used to clear her right up. Good luck!

catnapper
03-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks folks! I claled hte vet for an opinion of what I should do this afternoon... of course I got the standard "we'll have to see him to tell what to do" --- So I'd pack him up, waste half an afternoon and spend $35 just to have the vet say "clean with peroxide and follow with Neosporin." :mad: :rolleyes:

I'll try to clean it tonight with the peroxide and folow it with the Neosporin. I'm going out of town again tomorrow until Friday, so hopefully he'll be ok without me. I always feel so guilty going out of town.