PDA

View Full Version : cat food

szazie
03-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi everyone, It's been a very long time since I have posted! Anyway due to divorce, the kitties and I are on a very limited income. I have always fed then the best quality cat food. I am going to have to go to a cheaper cat food. Can I get some recommendations on some decent quality cheap food? They eat dry, and sometimes wet food now. I live in a small town and it will have to come from Wal-Mart. Also I have heard that too much canned tuna is not good for them??? I get food stamps, so I could buy plenty of tuna..lol
Thanks!
szazie

Jayna78
03-16-2005, 02:08 AM
Sorry to hear about your divorce. Glad you still have the kitties keeping you company. :) They are such wonderful pals to have around, especially when the going gets tough, but also when things are great.

As far as food goes, I think my mom's vet recommended both Purina One and Iams to her - she decided on Iams. They're both high-quality foods available at Wal-Mart - they may be more expensive than some of the others, but if you buy the bigger bags, it's probably a better deal. I also know that those are supposed to be good for urinary tract health, which is more of an issue with boy cats. Mom's vet is very adamant about making sure male cats get high-enough quality food so they don't develop potentially dangerous/life-threatening UTIs.

I use Science Diet (we started with just Purina Kitten Chow when we first had Bailey, and moved on to Science Diet when he had digestive problems - we started with Sensitive Stomach, but he was all better once he was full-grown, so we have since switched all the way to Hairball Control Light) for ours, and it's not cheap, but we buy the biggest bag possible, and it is the best deal - we usually try to buy it when we have coupons too. Since we have to feed the low-calorie stuff b/c one of our cats is big and we don't want the others to be too big, it seems we go through the stuff faster, but it's worth it.

moosmom
03-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Szazie,

I was feeding my cat Science Diet when I also had to go to a less expensive food, because I lost my job. I went to PetSmart and read ALL the labels and decided to give them Iams Ocean Fish. My cats prefer small kibble. Some of the all natural brands had big kibble and they wouldn't touch it. They LOVE Iams.

I would advise against feeding them tuna too often. 9Lives has a "tuna select" brand that is tuna, but better for them than straight tuna. I would recommend that. I can get a case of it for $8.47. I split one can between 5 cats at night only, which equals about a teaspoon each.

I'm sorry that you're in such a tight situation. I've been there, as people here can attest. You're cats will be a great comfort to you. Mine have been for me.

Hang in there and lean on us for help and support too. That's what friends are for!! ;)

hootchlid
03-26-2005, 03:57 PM
what i would do,is try all the kinds of cheap food,see what they like and go for that.They are like humans in that regard,picky on what they eat but you will know when they carry the food off.Like ours do.

lv4dogs
03-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Walmarts maximum nutrition is a pretty decent food for its price. Well at least the kitten formula is, I haven't looked at the other formulas.

CiaoBellaXO
04-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I feed my cat Wellness...you can get it pretty much at any pet speciality store. It is pure quality and your kitties will love it!