PDA

View Full Version : breed help

sandra6
03-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Hi everyone, i am trying to adopt a dog but i dont know what breed it is. can any of you recognize what breed is this dog i found?
Gucci... (http://www.pethop.com/modules/pets/?page=shelters&action=pets&uid=26&pet_name=gucci&gender=a&breed_p=0&breed_6=0&breed_12=0&breed_10=0&breed_235=0&breed_21=0&breed_309=0&age=0&color=&desc=&submit=Search)

Thanks in advance

ooh... can anyone explain to me what is a border collie?? =)

Amber
03-15-2005, 05:39 PM
That fella reminds me of a chow mix or something. But its really hard to tell.

A border Collie is a herding dog. They are like farm dogs, thats all I know. We have some bc owners here to tell you more.

--the puppy is adorable!

cali
03-15-2005, 05:39 PM
a border collie is a working breed of dog bred to work sheep, they have a HUGE diversity in appearence because they are bred ONLY for work and not for conformation. I personally have 2 of em

both are pur bred border collies
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/HappyFM/193b9324.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/HappyFM/9ed33fed.jpg

while mine are both black and whit they come in all coat lentghs, all colours, all ear sets, all eye colours, all markings, well you get the picture lol the are also considered the worlds smartest dogs and well bred BCs are even temepered however extremly energentice and require litterally hours of off leash exersize every day.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-15-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't know too much about border collies, there are other people her who know a lot more than I know. Border Collies are usually seen black and white, though they do come in other colors. They are herding dogs, thus very active. I would say that a fenced yard is a must. They're a medium size dog. Maybe 35-50 pounds? I know a few border collies and ALL of the ones I know have separation anxiety. They seem to make a great family dog and seem to be good with kids.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-15-2005, 06:02 PM
heehee... I walked away from my reply for a second and didn't see Cali's response. She knows much more than I do, so go by what she says.
:) :)

Dixieland Dancer
03-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by cali
a border collie is a working breed of dog bred to work sheep, they have a HUGE diversity in appearence because they are bred ONLY for work and not for conformation.

ALL AKC breeds are bred for conformation. Just go to any dog show or watch the westminister dog show on TV sometime and you will also see the Border Collie in the ring. That doesn't mean they are primarily bred for conformation. Most are not. They are the number one dog in the sport of agility because of there intense speed and agile makeup. You can follow this link (http://www.akc.org/breeds/border_collie/index.cfm) for the AKC's write up of the breed in full.

About Gucci.... what size are his paws? It is hard to tell from the picture. To me the picture looks like a puppy around 12 to 16 weeks old. If he is puppy and his paws are on the large size, then I was leaning towards part Newfoundland.

IRescue452
03-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Looks like a Belgian Tervuren pup or some sort of Belgian shepherd mix.

Samantha Puppy
03-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Yeah, it looks like it has some sort of Shepard in there... The snout really resembles the way my Samantha's did when she was a puppy.

VERY cute pup, by the way... Great name too. :)

sandra6
03-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys...

I think i am gonna adopt that dog. but do you guys think this pethop.com is legitimate? I like the graphics there, i mean, it's rare to see a pet site looks nice. but it seems very new... and i have never heard of them. what do you guys think?

cali
03-15-2005, 06:55 PM
dxiland I dont consider AKC version of the breed to be a border collie, as real BC are only bred for work, as in ANY breed that can work to the level of a BC by ABCA or ISDS standerd IS a border collie. and I have no intention of getting into this argument, just to clear up that I know perfectly well that BCs are recignized, but I dont consider them the same breed by any means, so when I refere to a border collie I am refering ONLY to working bred BCs.

wolfsoul
03-15-2005, 06:58 PM
I think he looks like a chow mix. I don't see any border collie at all. I would say maybe chow/retriever? His hair is pretty crimpy, though. Maybe there is some poodle or something in there.

IRescue452
03-15-2005, 08:14 PM
I don't know if its legit, I'd use a search engine and see if anything comes up about it, like if somebody else adopted a dog on there. Also find out where they are located and if they have an actual address, look it up in the yellow pages for that area.