PDA

View Full Version : Private schools

dogs_4_me
03-15-2005, 04:23 PM
I was just wondering what everyone thought about them. I go to a private school, and I always have.

I really want to switch to a public school but I have never been to one and I dont even know what to expect. I dont want to get involved with some of the crap that goes on there and I feel like I am getting a better education where I am, but I am not very happy at this school.

What do you think? Should I switch? Would you want to go to a Private school? Will hyou put your kids in a private school? Do you think private schools offer a better education?

caseysmom
03-15-2005, 04:28 PM
I think it depends on the kids...my kids have friends in private school...my daughter is much more advanced and 2 grade levels about in algebra than her friend in private school, she is in gate and has a 4.0 but my older daughter although she gets good grades and her teachers love her say she is very respectful etc...I think she gets more distracted by the problem kids and the boy thing.

cookieluver7
03-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Well, it's hard for me to answer because I've never been to a private school. But I just loooooove public school! It's really fun! My answer to you is do what you want. If you want to try something new, go to a public school. But if you want to stay at a private school, well you can do that to! Think hard before you make your choice, though!

dogs_4_me
03-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by cookieluver7
Think hard before you make your choice, though!

Thats the problem.

I am afraid that if I switch then I would regret my decision. I honestly dont know what to expect from a public school. I think public schools are less work but this may not even be true :confused:

caseysmom
03-15-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't think a good public school is less work...my kids have a lot of homework...just as much as their friends in private school. The good thing about private is the parent involvement....public you just never know ...usually if people are sending their kids to private schools they do care and are more involved.

animal_rescue
03-15-2005, 04:41 PM
I went to a private school for 7 years, then when I started high school, this past year, I wanted to go to a public school. Now that I'm in public school I would honestly trade anything to go back to private school! I can't stand all the fighting that goes on in my school and the disrespect I get from teachers because they don't know who I am, I really miss private school with only 300 or so kids in it and the teachers knowing you is so nice to me now!

cali
03-15-2005, 04:42 PM
I o to a privet school and I love it, I personally have no wish to go to a public school, I went to one once, for half a year before switching back lol there is just to much crap that goes on, shortly after I left the pubic school some kid brought a gun to school. my best friend goes to a public school, and so much bad stuff goes around there the school is well known as being full of druggies, my school is very safe, I get a much better education(2 nobel prize winners, actors, big time exuctives and big time movie directors etc..) its considered one of the best high schools around, I cant afford to go there, not a chance, so how do I? there are so many big time people that came from my school that are more then willing to pay for poorer people top go to the school, because of these people we have connections, if you go to any movie theater around here my school will be advertised, if you just drive down the roads there are billboards for it etc.. I am not going to univarsity, and why should I? I started doing first year univarsity work in grade 11.

dogs_4_me
03-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Its such a toss up, the registrations for next year need to be in by Friday and I need to make a decision!

Samantha Puppy
03-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Each public school district differs. The district I went to was one of the best in the state and I loved it. I wouldn't have wanted to go to Baltimore or Howard County schools though. Look at the district of the school you'd be going to. Is there a lot of violence? Drug problems? If so, stay where you are. If it is a good school in a good district though, and you think public school would make you happier, give it a shot.

manda_moo87
03-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Well, as for my personal experience I was at a private school for 4 years when I was younger. I switched to a public and was much much happier there. Just my two cents! :p

dogs_4_me
03-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Some of the public schools near by are good, but of course, there is still the occasional trouble maker. Im still so confused :confused: I guess its not very smart to leave the school right now, I should just finish it up ..I guess:confused:

caseysmom
03-15-2005, 09:24 PM
If your folks are willing and able to spend the bucks stick with the private school...just my opinion.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-15-2005, 09:58 PM
I went to public school and my sister went to private school My sisters school taught A Beka and she got a much better education than I did. Our schools were as different as night and day. I wish more than anything that I had gotten to go to private school too.

Justin and I want our kids, when we have them, to go to private school.

Uabassoon
03-15-2005, 09:59 PM
I went to both and I much prefered public school, because it was larger I felt I had more opportunities. The music program was much bigger and better, there were more after school activities like science club, debate, math, drama and many others. Private schools often offer these, but because they have less students often the programs have less students and aren't as active. While the regular classes were lacking in comparison to the private schools, the AP courses were just as good as those at a private school. In public school I was able to do dual enrollment for a few of my classes and take a single class to earn college as well as high school credit. By the time I moved away to attend a university I had already completed all my math and english requirements because of all the AP and dual enrollement classes. I felt I was better prepared for college than most of the students there.