PDA

View Full Version : I have been upset all day!

gini
03-14-2005, 11:57 PM
I was up very early this morning for some reason and decided to go back to sleep for another hour.

At 7:30 am my phone rang and woke me up. It was my neighbor and she was crying.

Years ago she had rented out her home and the man who rented it befriended three cats. When she decided to move back into her home and he left.........he also left the three cats. She has two dogs and an indoor kitty only.

So the three cats continued to live outdoors. I know all of them well because I feed them whenever she goes on vacation.

She found one of the cats early this morning under a bush. It looked as though it had been seriously mauled. She isn't sure what happened to it or who got to it.

She has a side porch where she feeds them and has beds for them to sleep in and it is sheltered. She said that area was a mess. We do have raccoons and possums in our area and my guess is that a raccoon tangled with her.

They called her Ditz - because well, she just was a little Ditzy and very afraid of people. When I fed her I was able to pet her but ordinarily she wouldn't come to you.

I have been heartsick all day thinking of her suffering and being all alone when she passed.

She left her two buddies - Bibs and Shadow. Shadow is called Shadow because he was ALWAYS with Ditz. He seems so lost now. It just breaks your heart.

This is when I appreciate Pet Talk........because most people just say "oh, what a shame........and move on.

Have any of you ever had a problem with raccoons attacking cats?
I can't imagine a possum being bothered with a cat........

Beautiful little Ditzy girl...........I know you are now alright at the Rainbow Bridge.

zippy-kat
03-15-2005, 12:30 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this awful news. :(
I'm also sorry I didn't have a chance to meet Miz Ditz last summer; she sounded like a lovely cat, content in her own mannerisms with a special connection to cat-loving friends.

{{Hugs}} to you Gini and thank you (and Pam) for feeding Ditz, Bibs, and Shadow.

Please send Pam my sympathies, too.

Rest sweetly, Ditz.

shais_mom
03-15-2005, 12:50 AM
I am so sorry about you're friends kitty, Gini.
Godspeed Ditzy.

To answer you're question, YES.
My sister has a cat that lives with her father in law. Tango is about 16 years old now. At least part or mostly Main Coon and weighs about 30 pounds. He was indoor/outdoor I think and he got out once and tangled with a coon. He ended up in and out of the vet with large abscess from the bites, he was a very sick kitty and the alomost lost him, he lived but it was touch a go. I am sure the only reason he survived was his size and the fact he himself is a force to be reckoned with!!! Tango has tangled with a few dogs too!

NoahsMommy
03-15-2005, 12:55 AM
((((Gini))))

How heartbreaking for you, your neighbor, Shadow and Bibs. :(

I hope those racoons stay away. That's so sad.

Hugs,
Kelly

Killearn Kitties
03-15-2005, 01:47 AM
Gini, I'm so sorry to hear about this, what a horrible thing to happen. You both must be extremely upset.

Hugs to you and your neighbour.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-15-2005, 03:24 AM
Oh Gini, this would upset me too!! I just cannot handle seeing a hurt cat at all....:( . Hugs to you, your neigbour and the left cats!!

Godspeed to the rainbow bridge, sweet Ditzy!!!

Soapets
03-15-2005, 05:50 AM
That's so sad!:( I'm so sorry that happened, and she had to be found that way! Ditz is no longer in pain, and is playing at the RB now. But I feel so sorry for Shadow, and also Bibs. They probably witnessed it, too.:( And I really feel for Pam, too, having to be the one to find her that way. How traumatic!:eek: :(

sirrahbed
03-15-2005, 06:22 AM
((((Gini)))) that is so sad:( I would be feeling very awful too - thinking about that injured kitty dying. I am sorry to hear what happened and hope you can soon stop thinking about it because Ditzy is not in pain any longer. I hope the other kitties can stay safe!
More ((((hugs))))

Logan
03-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Oh, Gini. That is frightening and sad. :( I hope the other kitties will stay safe.

Rest in peace, sweet Ditz.

Cataholic
03-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Oh, Gini. How terribly sad. I am so sorry to hear about Ditz, and pray that she did pass quickly, and is now restored to full health at RB. How terribly, terribly sad.

lizbud
03-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Gini,

I am so sorry for you & your neighbor.:( Poor Ditz.:( :(

I've never heard of a cat being attacked by a opossum. They
are nocturnal creatures and were probably attracted to any food
(kitty chow) left out for the cats. I can imagine a very hungry
critter would attack anything in the way of a food source.

We have them around here & I'm always concerned about one
of my animals cornering one. Please give this sweet lady my
deepest sympathies.:(

Rachel
03-15-2005, 08:52 AM
I certainly understand why you would be upset. We have possums and raccoons around here but when any animal is killed, the main suspects are coyotes. Even hawks and owls are of a concern. We're not out in the boonies either. Our neighbors have a tiny, tiny yorkshire terrier and she is not left outside for anything except to go to the potty, but I do worry about her.

Take care, Gini and please extend our condolences to your neighbor.

slick
03-15-2005, 09:58 AM
:( :( RIP little one.

ramanth
03-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Oh Gini.. *hugs* I'm so sorry for you and your neighbor.

Racoons can be mean when it comes to food. So yes, I could see them fighting or picking a fight with a cat.

RIP Ditz. :(

Cinder & Smoke
03-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by gini

She has a side porch where she feeds them and
has beds for them to sleep in and it is sheltered.

She said that area was a mess.
We do have raccoons and possums in our area ...

:(

So very sorry for you and Pam, Gini.
Rest In Peace at the Bridge, Ditzy.
{{{HUGS}}} to Shadow and Bibs.

I'm not positive about a Possum, but a Raccoon WILL fight
with domestic animals for food!

You might avoid future food fights by removing the Cat Food AT NIGHT -
and teaching Shadow and Bibs there will be a full bowl available
during DAYlight hours - but no midnight shacks!
Changing the feeding hours may be enough to discourage the
wildlife and send them off to feed somewhere else.

/s/ :( Phred

Corinna
03-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Can't say much more but to really agree with Phred. And to include my own {{{HUGS}}} to you and your neighbor.

gini
03-15-2005, 11:50 AM
I can't thank you all enough for your kind and thoughtful responses. Ditz was such a beautiful cat with a spectacular tail that she waved around with pride.

Phred, I do know that the kitties are fed in the morning and again in the evening.

I am going to be sure to let my neighbor know of the advice to not leave any food out after dark.

When Annie and Emma were kittens and would come into my yard, I put food on my patio table. One evening I looked out and so help me - there was the raccoon from hell. He was so big that he just sat on his haunches and put his paws on the table to look if there was any food. You know how cute raccoons can be - not this one - you could even see his fangs............

I stopped leaving any leftover food on the table immediately.

Edwina's Secretary
03-15-2005, 11:51 AM
I once read a book about cats and the author described one of her cats being attacked and killed by a raccoon. We had a family of raccoons in our yard in Chicago and I was always nervous about Edwina and Eddie because of it. Of course...they never went outside at night or unsupervised. But when my sister would visit with her pomeranian, Gavin...it was worrisome.

We had some abandoned kittens which died and we buried in the yard. Raccoons dug them up. The raccoons never looked as cute and cuddly to me after that.

So sorry about Ditz....

carole
03-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Oh Gini my heart goes out to you and your neighbour, this is tragic, and I can imagine how heartsick you feel about it all, I felt the same way when Juliette died tragically recently, it is the not knowing that eats away at you.

Go peacefully to the RB dear kitty, and Dear Gini I hope we can bring you some comfort and understanding, HUGS to you and your neighbour at this awful time.

catnapper
03-15-2005, 03:43 PM
What a terrible tragedy. I know she'll have a great tiem at the bridge, and the awful ending to her life will be forgotten.

jenluckenbach
03-15-2005, 04:52 PM
How sad :(.

RIP Ditz.

I wish all kitties had the safety of an indoor home. But I guess that is a dream :(

AmberLee
03-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Oh, how terrible!

Yes, my parents had a cat named Oliver (who was a spiritual godfather to Livvy, by the way) when they lived on the ranch. He was in a fight with an animal that we didn't see, but suspect was a racoon. He sustained lots of bites and two broken bones. He was lucky to survive. Raccoons are cute, but tough animals! :eek:

anna_66
03-16-2005, 11:50 PM
How awfully sad to hear about this:( I can just imagine how heartbroken you and your neighbor are.

RIP sweet one

krazyaboutkatz
03-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Gini, I'm so sorry to hear about this.:( Yes, raccoons can be very vicious. RIP sweet Ditz.