PDA

View Full Version : Tips for rehabilitating a feral-help!

Sofi
11-28-2001, 10:59 AM
Hi All!

I have recently rescued a feral cat that I have been feeding for 2 years. His name is Gizmo. About a month ago, he showed up with a bad wound over his right eye. After many days, I was finally able to trap him and get him to the vet. (I was planning on trapping him soon anyway to try to socialize and keep as my own). He was cleaned up, tested and neutered. Once we got him home, we put him in a large cage so that we could make sure he ate his food with his medicine and to make sure he got back on his feet. Well, after about a week, he seem to become very mad and I couldn't bear to see him in a cage any longer. We built a door for the room he is in and let him out of the cage last Friday. He had been under the bed ever since. He does come out to eat and to use the liter box (luckily, he picked that up pretty fast). At night, I peek in the window from outside of the house and I can see him lounging on the rug or sitting in a chair. He used to sit in the yard and would not always run when he saw me, so he must like me, even just a little bit?! Anyway, I was hoping someone might have some tips to help me get him out from under the bed. I want him to come out under his own terms. I know I have to be patient... :) I will do whatever it takes to make sure this little guy turns out OK.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you. :)

purrley
11-28-2001, 11:19 AM
Hi Sofi - I also have had the joy of domesticating a feral kitty - my Panda Bear apparently was abandoned as a little kitten. It took all spring, summer and fall to finally get close to her and I did it by talking softly to her, just sitting and watching her without making any sudden moves and enticing her with food. I'd try and get her to take a few treats from my hand until I finally got her to trust me enough so she'd let me pet her. Sounds like your kitty has had a rough life though - it may take a little longer to gain his trust. Don't try and make him do anything he doesn't want - I think he's already distrustful because you trapped him and sent him to the vet :) which definately had to be done, so it will probably take awhile for him to trust you enough to get close to him. But it will happen, just takes time. Hang in there! :) You've done a wonderful thing!!!!! ;)

Sofi
11-28-2001, 03:11 PM
Thank you for all of your advice. I know it will take time and that's OK. It's OK too if he won't be a lap cat, as long as he is safe and warm and well-fed. He's such a cutie!

I feel bad that he doesn't trust me, especially after trapping him and taking him to the vet. But hopefully, he will soon enough. I love sitting with him in the room, even though he's under the bed. I have been talking with him and blinking with him, even singing to him, which is scary enough. :)

Thanks for all of your kind words.

ownerof3dogs
11-29-2001, 02:45 PM
Trying to Demesticate them doesn't always work. I has lost my cat. But I found him 2 years later(next street over-A women has fed him all this time)I figured I would catch him and it would be alright. SO I caught him and kept him a large dog crate. He was terrified and mean. over time I could touch him but I could tell that he hated being in the house. I kept him for 4 months and he never got any nicer so I let him go. He ran right back to that ladies house and he is still there till this day.

The point I am trying to make is that sometimes they are just happier being free. Like with my cat I could tell that I was hurting him rather then helping him. You could try to help him but it doesn't always work.

4 feline house
11-29-2001, 08:33 PM
Feral kittens can almost always be tamed, but an adult is a real crap shoot. What can be very successful is preventing the cat from hiding - spend time in the room but don't ever actually approach him. At the same time, block any hiding places or place him in a large crate. Ignore him, and that will make you not seem as threatening. After awhile he will stop being stressed out by your presence (or not!). When you notice he is more relaxed, start approaching him, but make sure that when you do you either have some really smelly, yummy food treats and or an irresistable toy - like the feathers Spencer suggested. When he is relaxed even when you approach him, then start trying to stroke him, being careful always to approach him from underneath or the side - in other words, don't try to pat him on the head at first because he may perceive your hand coming at him as a threat. Try stroking his cheek first or his back, without approaching from above (I hope this is making sense). This could take anywhere from several days to several months, and it still may not work.

But you're right, even if he never becomes a lap kitty, his lot in life has still been vastly improved by your kindness!

Good luck with the little guy!

lizbud
11-29-2001, 08:51 PM
Hi Sofi,
He must be a Special Kitty for you to try
so hard to help him this way.That's great.
If you spend time in the room with him, even
if it's just reading a book or watching TV,
and just let him "experience your presence"
it will help him pick up your scent, and
gradually learn he has nothing to fear.
It does take time & patience and a real
commitment to helping him learn to trust you.
It can be done. Don't force him to come out
of hiding, he will do that when he's ready.
Spend some time in the room with him, and
maybe leave something behind when you go
like a sock or shirt,etc. It helps if you
go ahead and talk to him ,in soft reassuring tones. Doesn't matter what you talk about,
just let him hear your voice talking in
a calm relaxed tone of voice.
Best of luck to you. Sounds like you really
want a better life for this little guy...

Sofi
11-30-2001, 05:01 PM
Happy Friday!
I had the great idea of bringing the laptop down into Gizmo's room, so I could hang out with him while I surf the Net! Good news...he has been coming out more often from under the bed to eat and play with his catnip cookies (when I leave the room, of course)AND I think he may have been playing with his feather toy! :) So, that's a good sign, right?! I definatly think (hope!) he is eventually going to be OK as a house cat, especially after the snow starts to fall here in New England. I just want to make sure he stays healthy, both physically and mentally!
I do have another cat that used to hang out in the yard with Gizmo before I was able to catch him and bring him to the vet. I want to "re-introduce" them, but becasue he had a "wound of an unknown origin" when I caught him, he is required to be quarantined for 6 months for observation for any sign of rabies, which I am 99.9% sure he does not have! My cat has her vaccinations, of course, but I cannot take any chances. She still has control of MOST of the house. So, I'll have to start all over again once he gets the OK, which is fine. He'll have his playmate again! I think that my cat will definatly be a big help in helping him adjust to the home life!
It is so comforting to know that there are some many kind and knowledgable people out there who can relate to this transition for Gizmo and me and to keep me positive! Thanks for all of your kind words!

AmberLee
11-30-2001, 05:05 PM
Great news. It sounds like you are really making progress, and fast too since he's an adult feral. So glad for you. Continue to keep us posted.

lizbud
11-30-2001, 07:57 PM
Sofi,
Sounds encouraging ! I think you probably
know more than you think you do about "whats
right" to earn his trust.. good instincts.
You are right to keep the two kitties
separated while his health is being checked.
Gizmo has a lot of new sounds,smells,etc.,
to become familiar with.
Continued Good Wishes to you both !!

Sofi
12-13-2001, 08:54 PM
Hello Spencer-the-Lion (and everyone else),
I apologize for not responding sooner. Little (or I should say Big) Gizmo is doing well, I think! He is still going under the bed to hide when I go downstairs to visit him. But a few times, I peeked in the window from outside of the house and I did catch him stretched out on the chair and floor a few times, fast asleep! Who is he trying to kid? :) He is still has a VERY healthy appetite and has been drinking the water in his bowl and using his liter box. I usually keep the overhead light in the room on so that the room stays light and he does come out and does not seem to mind it. I have been using a feather toy, trying to entertain him a bit, but he just looks at me like I'm crazy. I try not to get too close with the feather, as I don't want to scare him or get him upset. He hissed at me a couple of times when I first trapped him and brought him home from the Vet. I've never heard anything like it. I am hoping he will come out from under the bed soon so I can block it off and give him another "hideout" that is a bit more accessiable so that I can interact with him. I don't want to force him out from under the bed and get him upset. But, it's getting very cold and wet here now in the Northeast, so his set-up now is better than him frezzing outside! I've stopped feeling guilty about the whole trapping and not releasing a feral thing, and now I know he is safer and healthier inside the house, under the bed or not. He trusted a little bit me before I trapped him and now he just needs to start to trust me again...easier said than done, as I'm sure you all know.
I will try to be better about keeping all updated on his progress. He WILL come around, I have faith in him! It may just take a while...but I'll never give up on him, he has been through too much in his short little life! Thanks for your hints and concern! I really appreciate it.

lizbud
01-05-2002, 12:31 PM
Sofi,
Hi. Just checking in to see how Gizmo is
coming along. My first experience with kittys
was bringing in two feral brother kitties.
About 10-12 weeks old at that time.They also
did the 'run & hide' routine whenever I
came into their room. They are now about
3 1/2 years old and own the whole house.lol.
Have you tried leaving a radio on in his
room.He would hear people's voices & soft music & might help him to relax even more.
Continued good luck to you & Gizmo...
which might help him

Sofi
01-06-2002, 08:20 PM
Hi Lizbud,
Thanks for checking in on Gizmo. He is doing well, still a little fraidy-cat but he is getting better. He still hides when he hears someone coming down the stairs but he has been out and about in the room more often. Tonight I stood on a chair and peeked over the door into his room and he was sitting in the window sill and he didn't seem to mind me hanging out with him. Then again, there was a door between us so he may not have felt threatened. But he is still eating and drinking all of his food and water and using the liter box, so that's good news! I had been feeding him outside for 2 years and knew he was feral. After he showed up with a serious eye injury, I knew he had to get to the vet and needed to be inside away from danger. He used to hang out with my cat ouside in the yard (the real Sofi) so I can't wait for the day in April when I can reintroduce them (they are seperated for now, he's under quarantine until April because of his injury). I think she'll be a big help for him. In the meantime...I have had the radio on in his room (quiet, classical music) and sometimes the tv as well since I brought him in the house. I'm just waiting for him to come around...I'll wait as long as I have to...
:) Thanks again for asking. Happy New Year!

purrley
01-10-2002, 01:17 PM
Hi Sofi
Looks like you got it down - patience is the key and I know it will pay off in the long run. You're gonna be so proud when this kitty finally comes around and I know he will :D