PDA

View Full Version : How bad is too bad to post

lv4dogs
03-14-2005, 01:38 PM
A friend came across a VERY VERY VERY SICK PETA video.

How gross/sick/sad is too gross/sick/sad to share?

Is there an age limit here?

EDITED TO ADD:

If anyone is interested please PM me.

It is NOT a pretty site at all! You are fore-warned that it is not for the weak hearted or weak stomached either.

Samantha Puppy
03-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Members must be 13+... other than that, if you want to post it I guess you could with a big, hefty warning... but I know I wouldn't look at it - I know horrible stuff goes on, I don't need to see it when all I know it would do is upset me.

I would hold off and see what Karen thinks - maybe you could send it to her and let her see it first and see if it's something she wants on her forum.

lv4dogs
03-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I know a lot of folks won't really want to see it but my personal feeling is that we should all be aware of what kind of sick peoples are out there doing this kind of stuff (whether we choose to look at the vid or not) and trying to do something to stop it instead of hiding our heads in the sand. Maybe just maybe if the word gets out enough it will be stopped.

Since the age limit is 13 I think it would be best not to post it.

Samantha Puppy
03-14-2005, 01:56 PM
I know a lot of people on here do do their own thing in protest of animal cruelty. I refuse to wear fur or buy leather. I make sure none of my toiletries are tested on animals and let others know who does test and request they steer clear of them. I like to think that by doing that, I am not just hiding my head in the sand. I know there are horrible people out there doing horrible things to innocents, whether they be people, children or animals. I just don't want to upset myself just to see stuff I already know is going on. That's all.

The age limit is 13 though I'm sure there are a few members here that aren't quite that old... so refraining from posting it probably is the best thing to do. :)

Corinna
03-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Members are to be 13 but any one can veiw. Best not to leave it to people to PM you for the address for it.

lv4dogs
03-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
Members are to be 13 but any one can veiw. Best not to leave it to people to PM you for the address for it.

Yeah I'm gonna do that, PM only!

dukedogsmom
03-14-2005, 03:00 PM
I agree with Samanthapuppy. Just because we don't want to see things like that doesn't mean we aren't aware and don't do things to protect the animals. Doesn't mean we have our heads buried in the sand. To me, it makes me feel so helpless that I can't do more. It hurts me terribly to hear about some of the things that happen.

Pit Chick
03-14-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm going to guess you are referring to the fur video. I just went to PETA's website and watched it. I'm totally speechless. :( :mad:

cookieluver7
03-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Maybe you could just explain what the video was like instead of posting it? It's up to you.

dukedogsmom
03-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by cookieluver7
Maybe you could just explain what the video was like instead of posting it? It's up to you.
We had that discussion before in another thread. I think a lot of us would like it all to be in pms. Some things a lot of us just don't want to see/hear. It's not like we're sticking our heads in the sand as I've already explained. It just hurts to much to hear about it.

lv4dogs
03-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I agree with Samanthapuppy. Just because we don't want to see things like that doesn't mean we aren't aware and don't do things to protect the animals. Doesn't mean we have our heads buried in the sand. To me, it makes me feel so helpless that I can't do more. It hurts me terribly to hear about some of the things that happen.

I am sorry I didn't mean for it to sound that harsh. I didn't mean to imply that everyone is "sticking their heads in the sand" but to be honest I would say a lot are.
Again I am sorry & in a way I wish I didn't watch it but as much as I love animals I just have to see what is going on no matter what. As if it is a bad sitauation (like this one) I want & will try to help prevent it, therefore if I watch it that is more research for me.

dukedogsmom
03-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks so much for not getting angry with me. I'm just so sensitive to the animals that it just hurts too much. If you know of a way that I can help without having to watch that video, I'd be more than willing to help put an end to it.

Cataholic
03-15-2005, 08:27 AM
If you have to ask, "how bad is too bad..", IMO, you shouldn't be posting it.

Really, I get somewhat upset to see some posters do nothing but 'hightlight' these topics. I never look at them. Never. In fact, I had someone else search this thread first, to confirm for me there wasn't anything upsetting in it, before I looked at it.

It isn't hiding your head in the sand. I know all too well what goes on. Bringing it to the attention of a group of animal lovers as most on PT are is like preaching to the choir.

I get a little tired of those posters that seem to simply search for all the blood and gore, and then bring it to the attention of those that don't search it out.

:(

lv4dogs
03-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
If you have to ask, "how bad is too bad..", IMO, you shouldn't be posting it.

Really, I get somewhat upset to see some posters do nothing but 'hightlight' these topics. I never look at them. Never. In fact, I had someone else search this thread first, to confirm for me there wasn't anything upsetting in it, before I looked at it.

It isn't hiding your head in the sand. I know all too well what goes on. Bringing it to the attention of a group of animal lovers as most on PT are is like preaching to the choir.

I get a little tired of those posters that seem to simply search for all the blood and gore, and then bring it to the attention of those that don't search it out.

:(

I realize that which is why in my first post I asked and didn't mention any details about it or post the link. And as you can see I never did post a link.

I know it is not hiding your head in the sand for most pet lovers, but ya gotta admit a lot do.

And I didn't go & search for the blood & guts, it came to me. besides there are some out there that do want to see it.

If you read through I already appologized & I listened to everyones feelings from the start.

Pit Chick
03-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Not to step on any toes here, but if it looks like a thread that's going to bother you, then don't look (this is the Dog House). I appreciate it when people post "the blood and gore", because it gives me incentive and knowledge on how to fight for the animals and give them a voice. People can speak out against animal cruelty all day long, but until they actually experience or witness what is really happening, their words really mean nothing because what backing or proof do they have. Until I saw this video, I had no idea the extent of the cruelty in the fur business. And until I got into animal rescue, I had no idea the extent of animal abuse and pet overpopulation. It gives me the knowledge I need to "preach" to the public about responsible pet ownership and spaying/neutering.

I know this is a family board and a lot of youngsters may see these threads, but IMO why shelter them from reality just because it's not pleasant to watch? (If their parents don't want them to see it, then they need to make their kids get off the computer and go outside to play like we used to do before the internet.) I say the younger the better because kids need to be aware of the kinds of cruelty we as humans are inflicting upon innocent animals for the sake of our greed. They are young and impressonable, so why not impress upon them what's going on in the world so that maybe their generation will grow up realizing that's not how they want things to be. Kids who have everything censored, grow up "not wanting to see or hear" the bad things going on around them, so the bad things go unnoticed and they keep happening. I understand those who have seen and heard and don't want to see it again, but at least they are doing something about it. Then there are those who don't want to see at all and don't want anyone else to see. Nothing would ever get accomplished or change if everyone closed their eyes to only the bad things going on in the world. I wish it was all peaches and cream, but this world sucks thanks to mankind and it's never going to get better if we don't look at what we are doing, no matter how young or old we are.

GraciesMommy
03-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Well said, Pit Chick and I think lv4dogs presented the question in a very appropriate manner...absolutely!

Corinna
03-15-2005, 10:32 AM
I am glad of the way this has been handled. I as a young child was exposed to a very nasty situation (no one realised I was standing there.) It has effected me all the rest of my life.
I just want others who just post the gore. to remebmer the age to join is 13 but any one can veiw the site. I think Pming the links are the best way to show these things.
Each child is different My brother saw the same thing but it didn't bother him but for years I had nightmares and still miss sleep being afraid of it coming back in my sleep.
Thank you for the considerating for asking .

LKPike
03-15-2005, 01:45 PM
I have to be honest.. I don't support "peta" at all. Their terrorists, its a pathetic cult. I remember a post here in the doghouse before about a paper Peta supporters were passing out to children whos mothers were wearing fur, the paper had a housewife on it holding a knife over a bunny, and in blood letters said "your mommys a murderer".

They proudly bomb buildings that use animals in medical research, constantly I hear them b*tching about these places yet the vice president of PETA *openly* admitts to using medication for her type 2 diabetes that was developed using dogs in research. not only that, but one of the terrorists is being supported by PETA to travel to highschools to talk about PETA, on an HBO show they played a tape of him "teaching" and during his talk he admitts to being arrested *13* times. ((Wow, thats certainly a guy I want corrupting.. oops I mean, talking to my child!))

PETA is actually against dogs being used as guide dogs, or dogs helping those who are handicapped, they see it as "Emabarrasing" to the animal, and obviously their against that since it is in their mission statment - after harm and death to an animal. I guess I'm an animal abuser then, because I think the cutest pictures are those of my dalmatians embarrassed because I put ribbon around them and stuffed reindeer horns with jingle bells on their heads for christmas.

You have the right to report me for animal abuse now.

DO NOT get me wrong. I'm against PETA. I hate, actually I LOATHE PETA. But I highly respect responsible animal rescuers. Petas making harder and harder for actual animal rescuers. They think their doing something by painting their bodies and getting into cages naked on busy streets as a "protest".... but people are just laughing at them and/or shaking their heads in disgust. And the same people laughing or in disgust probably wont consider donating to the local animal shelter after seeing those idiots.

Cataholic
03-15-2005, 02:00 PM
I have never understood the notion that unless I witnessed/experienced something first hand I have no 'right' or 'voice'. I haven't EVER witnessed/experienced a house fire, but, I certainly know the devestation it can bring. I haven't ever been burned, but, I know that flames hurt, and do burn.

I, for one, do not need to witness the brutality of anyone- pets, children, adults, to know it exists, nor speak out against it. To say that my voice somehow doesn't count, or counts less than someone that has witnessed such henious acts is kind of upsetting, really.

dukedogsmom
03-15-2005, 02:01 PM
I won't abuse you about it because I think they are way too militant, myself. There's a tactful way to help out without getting crazy and doing bad, illegal things.
ETA that I completely agree with Johanna about that, too. Very good point and I couldn't think of how to word my posts from earlier

Cataholic
03-15-2005, 02:05 PM
I think it is a sad commentary on one's self that in order to help others, you have had to witness it, be in their shoes, etc. That is way too limiting, IMO.

I AM an advocate for many things- women's rights, animal rights, children's rights. Fortunately, I haven't been a victim of such circumstances. But, poop on anyone that says my voice doesn't count because I haven't been there, done that.

Pit Chick
03-15-2005, 02:53 PM
I don't support PETA or all of the things they protest for, they even have the nerve to say Pit Bulls should be banned into extinction for their own safety. :rolleyes: But there are some things that they have braught to the attention of people who wouldn't have otherwise known about it. The video lv4dogs wanted to post is a big eye opener that people who choose to buy or sell fur should have to see, so they can see what their greed or need for fur is doing to these poor animals.

Cataholic,
If you were trying to teach or preach to people about how animals on fur farms are treated and someone asked "how do you know", "have you been there or seen it", do you think they would continue listening when you say "uh, well, no"? You can tell people about the things you read or were told about it, but that is only second hand info that many won't find to be very credible. Who would you be more inclined to listen to when someone is trying to explain what it was like to be on the front lines of WW2, a historian or a soldier? While a historians words have a lot of meaning, they pale in comarison to the experiences of a soldier.

Cataholic
03-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Pit Chick
Cataholic,
If you were trying to teach or preach to people about how animals on fur farms are treated and someone asked "how do you know", "have you been there or seen it", do you think they would continue listening when you say "uh, well, no"? You can tell people about the things you read or were told about it, but that is only second hand info that many won't find to be very credible. Who would you be more inclined to listen to when someone is trying to explain what it was like to be on the front lines of WW2, a historian or a soldier? While a historians words have a lot of meaning, they pale in comarison to the experiences of a soldier.

Perhaps we run with different crowds. If I had to be an eyewitness to every situation I was teaching or preaching about, well, sheesh..I probably wouldn't be a very good trial lawyer. Thank GOD I haven't ever witnessed death by broken neck. Thank GOD I could educate the jury enough to get a damage award. Again, maybe we run with different crowds. The people I teach/preach typically don't stop me short in my tracks and ask me, "well, have you been there or done that"? I think that is somewhat belittleling to people to suggest unless they have been there/done that, they aren't a worthy advocate.

And, if somehow watching a video makes one an expert, or gives one 'experience', then I say WHOA NELLY! :rolleyes:

Pit Chick
03-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
And, if somehow watching a video makes one an expert, or gives one 'experience', then I say WHOA NELLY! :rolleyes:

While it may not make one an expert, it can definately change ones perspective enough to try and put a stop to the problem they saw on that video because now they have seen the problem instead of going on hearsay.

Maybe I should listen to all of those who sound like they know what they are talking about when they start spouting off about how Pit Bulls are the most dangerous breed alive, they have locking jaws, 2000lbs of biting pressure per square inch, they are unpredictable, they turn on people, blah, blah, blah. They give a pretty convincing speech using a lot of big words, but none of them have ever owned or even met a Pit Bull and wouldn't know one if it was licking them on the face. I'm still waiting for mine to turn on me.

ramanth
03-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Pit Chick
If you were trying to teach or preach to people about how animals on fur farms are treated and someone asked "how do you know", "have you been there or seen it", do you think they would continue listening when you say "uh, well, no"?
So I guess if someone starts preaching about Heaven to me I can say... "How do you know there is a Heaven? Have you seen it?" ;)

Just because you haven't personally seen or witnessed something doesn't mean you can't feel strongly about it or have knowledge of it.

:)

lv4dogs
03-15-2005, 03:44 PM
I don't support PETA either. I actually despise them.

But I do have to say this:
They do find some awful situations that no one else would find. And something needs to be done about them.

I didn't/don't want this to turn into a flame war so please keep it nice here.
Everyone has differences & it is nice that they do, otherwise this world would be an awful dumb & boring place. But please feel free to agree or to disagree but no fighting! I will delete this whole post if it gets out of hand, and I'm sure Karen would too.

Pit Chick
03-15-2005, 03:48 PM
"How do you know there is a Heaven? Have you seen it?" That's the "great debate" and there are those who ask that, but all you can do is have faith. I have more faith in God than I do in people. ;)

I never said if someone doesn't see or witness something that means they can't feel strongly about it or have knowledge of it, but how credible you appear to those you are trying to preach to is where having seen something matters the most. If you can convince people based solely on what you have read or heard about and how YOU feel, bravo, keep it up. But there are people who can't be bought with words alone because they don't trust everything people say or they have to see it for themselves to believe it. Those are the kinds of people who your words will mean nothing to and those can be some of the hardest people to convince that there is animal cruelty going on because until they see it, to them, it isn't happening. And here we come back around to people not wanting to see the bad things going on around them or haven't seen it and probably should. If you choose not to, that's your choice, but don't get mad when someone wants to share.

catnapper
03-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I for one have no desire to see a horrendous and painful video. I have an vivid imagination, and I can only imagine the horror... why do I have to see it? Its like those old Hitchcock movies, he'd scare the wits out of you by letting your own mind fill in the blanks. Unlike today where its more fun to show the gore. Personally, keep your gore, and let my imagination fill in the blanks.

I know there's animal cruelty out there. But why do we need to show it? Why promote it? All I see from videos on PETA's site (and others like it) are ways for people who do the cruelty to watch and come up with new levels of torture they'd have never thought up themselves.

Watching the video won't educate me any more than I am, it'll only make me sick, and spend many nights tossing and turning.. giving me nightmares of that horror happening to one of my beloved pets. Sometimes there is such a thing as too much available information.

And I agree, PETA is a terrorist group that wants to get their point across in the most dramatic way they can.

lizbud
03-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Sometimes there is such a thing as too much available information.

This quote could also pertain to a lot of other posts and threads
on P T. TMI is a sad commentary and a sad reality.

luckies4me
03-16-2005, 01:38 AM
OMG. I just watched the video. How in the HELL can anyone do that? :( :( :( I am in shock right now! :mad: