PDA

View Full Version : I LOVE the thrift stores!

jenluckenbach
03-14-2005, 12:38 PM
We have several thrift stores around. My favorite is near me and run by the salvation army. I shop for clothes there. (I truly hate to spend money on clothing)

I bought a new RED winter coat, just my style..........
an outfit for Easter (yellow top and skirt).....
and a pair of practically new looking jeans for the grand total of $16.48. :eek:

Woo Hoo !!! :cool:

NoahsMommy
03-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Sounds like a great deal! Its always fun to walk around those stores...they have a lot of neat/different items. We have some up in Santa Barbara and they so many retro items. Fun stuff!

Congrats on your good buy! :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Sounds like you got a great deal there!!

I LOVE thrift stores too! I work at the one which raises funds for the local Animal shelter - it;s GREAT, because I get to help the animals, and also because I help sort the donations I get to see all the new stuff FIRST!!

(They also let staff borrow as many 2nd hand books as they want, and we can take clothes home to try on before we buy them!):D

wolfsoul
03-14-2005, 12:50 PM
I LOVE thrift shops! I'm a sucker for a good bargain. I also love garage sales. I really enjoy scoping out cheap stuff. When I was a kid, my classmates would tell me that second hand clothing and such is disgusting. But nowadays, everyone shops for second hand stuff. I'm not afraid to say that Value Village rocks. ;)

catnapper
03-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Gee Jen, you overspent ;)

Thats great! I love getting a barigain too. I never seem to find clothes in a thrift store though. I do find some great stuff for the house in there though.

And why am I surprised to hear of the Easter outfits color? yellow? You? NEVER? :D ;)

sirrahbed
03-14-2005, 01:11 PM
I LOVE thrift stores!!! When I was younger (20's, 30's)) - I always hit garage sales. Now - it is thrift shops. Actually my middle son got me hooked and now I go regularly. He buys things there ALL the time. I have gotten brand new items with tags still on them many times. It is also terrific for picture frames, computer components, etc. Just last week I bought three pairs of sleep pants - nice and baggy - for $2 each and they were a good brand and looked brand new, too:D Hubby gets his work Dockers and shirts there.

jenluckenbach
03-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Gee Jen, you overspent ;)

D'you think?? :confused:

:rolleyes:

Samantha Puppy
03-14-2005, 01:29 PM
You guys are lucky - the thrift stores around here are gross. I'd love to save some money and check one out, but it's cheaper (and MUCH nicer) to go somewhere like Kohl's during one of their supersales.

moosmom
03-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Jen,

I absolutely LOVE thrift stores too! The Salvation Army Store that's near me has specials every week where they give you 50% off a certain color tag. That's where I bought the baby comforters for Mattie Grace and her babies. Once they're done, I'm going to turn them into individual kitty beds.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-15-2005, 12:27 PM
May I ask what a thrift shop is? Is it like a second-hand-store?

davidpizzica
03-15-2005, 12:36 PM
I love thrift stores too, Donna! I have two store chains I go to around here. Saint Vincent De Paul, and Good Will stores. I can buy cheap electronics like tape players and cheap videos. Right now I'm looking for a comfortable living room chair. I also love garage sales.

mruffruff
03-15-2005, 02:06 PM
I've been shopping at second hand stores for years. When I was raising a teenaged daughter, she wanted name brand jeans--until I told her she had to pay for them. Then she decided to shop with me at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. Both of us are single moms and these places save our lives!

90% of my wardrobe and half of my furniture is second hand. But no one can tell.

I bought 2 sweater sets last Saturday for $4. All clothes are on sale this month for a $1 apiece.

Mary

QueenScoopalot
03-15-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm another H.M.D Boutique junkie lol! (Hand-me-down:D ). I refuse to spend ridiculous amounts of $$$ for new clothes that are cut to fit a ten year old. :rolleyes: I do splurge once in a while on new, but prefer the "vintage" clothing etc. for much less money. Why is it the bleach always ruins the new stuff though? :confused: :(