PDA

View Full Version : Newbie- All about me and my dogs!

thedoc617
03-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi everybody!
I have been on the chats for a while now, and everybody has wanted me to post on the message board, so here I am!
Let me tell you about my dogs first:
warning: some of it is sad, but it has a happy ending!

I have had 2 shih-tzus in my lifetime, the first one was Candy, and I had her growing up. We got her when I was 7, after much begging to my parents. We got her from a neighbor for free, because she was peeing in the house. Turns out it was just a bladder infection! We later learned she came from a pet store. (dun dun duuuun!). Bad things were to follow. She had chronic allergies. She would have days where her feet would be raw and swollen, and she had horrible smelling skin. This went on for years, until (at the age of 10) we got her allergy testing, and began allergy shots. Then, the dermatologist looked at her, (she was overweight, drinking a lot, and had the classic "rat tail" bald patches). She was diagnosed with Cushings, and started on Lysodren.
All was fine until we gave her annual vaccinations, (including the Proheart6 shot). I will spare you all the painful details, but if you want to see a detailed summary of what happened, you can see it here:
www.dogsadversereactions.com/moxidectin/memorial18.html#candy

When Candy passed away, I was devistated! 6 months after she passed away, I thought to myself "why don't you get off your butt and put your energy into something useful", so I decided to foster dogs for a local rescue group. (you know where this is going). We got a skinny, 8 pound shih-tzu who was a bundle of energy. It was a different pace from the feeble-elderly dog we were so used to. When she came down with hookworms, and she got really sick. It was then, as I was at the vet's with her, trying to get her to eat that a/d stuff, I knew that I could never part with her.

When she came from the pound, Daisy was on Nutro Natural Choice, but her poops were loose, and we switched her to California Natural. Her skin is getting better by the day. (sorry to gross you all out there!)

Oh yea, I'm a groomer and worked for a vet (as a kennel tech) for 2 years.
Thanks guys!
Laura

This message board sounds like a lot of fun, and I hope to be learning a lot!

bckrazy
03-13-2005, 11:47 PM
hey Laura! welcome to PT :) I'm sure you'll love it here. I'm Erica, my boyy is a Border Collie named Gonzo. Shih-Tzu's are soo adorable! I can't wait to see pics of your pup ;)

I'm so sorry for your loss :(... Candy looked like a very sweet girl. I've met a lot of people who have lost dogs due to Proheart6, and I think a few PT-ers have had problems with it.

Oggyflute
03-13-2005, 11:47 PM
G'day Laura, I'm Trev and have two schnauzers, welcome to Pet Talk.

LuvGold00
03-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Hi Laura!!

Welcome to Pet Talk!!!

My name is Kara and I am mother to 6 Golden Retrievers, 2 cats, 2 birds, 13 Goldfish, & 3 Bettas! :p

I'm sure you'll love it here!

schteve_d
03-14-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi and Welcome to pet talk.

Ginger's Mom
03-14-2005, 05:47 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk :) Ginger (my American Eskimo mix) and I are looking forward to hearing more about Daisy as well as seeing pictures of her.

cyber-sibes
03-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Welcome to pettalk - that's wonderful that you decided to do rescue work and congrats on your new addition. Im Pat and I have two sibes and an wonderful old cat.

vinjashira
03-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi and Welcome :)

KYS
03-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk. :)

Jamieejo85
03-14-2005, 12:05 PM
HI and welcome to Pet Talk:D My name is Jamie and I am owned by a 1 year old mastiff rott mix named Omar and a 9 month old lab chow mix named chico. And on Friday I will be the proud new owner of a chihuahua named Guapo. I also have 2 cats, Cosmo and Shady. You will LOVE it here:D

gkristian
03-14-2005, 03:34 PM
hi and welcome to pet talk Laura

tricollie4me
03-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Welcome from another newbie! So sorry to hear of your loss...

I have a 4-1/2 month old tri collie and we feed her Nutro Max Puppy -- so far, so good, but I have been wondering if there's something better! I might try California Natural for her next time we're shopping -- such great advice/experiences shared here!

http://iblinkedyougrew.typepad.com/photos/everywhere_a_pup_pup/dsc03332.JPG