PDA

View Full Version : Something's wrong with Kiara.. HELP! :(

Kfamr
03-13-2005, 11:02 PM
:( :( :( :(
I was on the computer and Kiara was in Nala's dog bed. All of the sudden she jumped up and started yelping. Once she looked around she came and jumped up into my lap.

I held her for a while asking her what's the matter and telling her she's a good girl then took her outside. She didn't do anything but jump up on me. The whole time with her tail between her legs.

Then I brought her inside and anytime she'd go to sit or lay down she'd yelp.

I woke up my dad, in tears, telling him something's wrong with Kiara.
Right now she's sitting with him and hasn't yelped at all.. she even chased the ball. But she still walks with her tail between her legs.

Is her tail hurt???
Her back??
Did she get bit by something???
Did she have a bad memory???

Right now she just walked in and layed on my bed. Her tail is still between her legs.

What's going on with my baby girl!?!? I can't stop crying. :( :( :( :(

Anyone have any clues???
I wish she could tell me what's going on. :( :( :(

shais_mom
03-13-2005, 11:06 PM
dumb question but do you have bees/wasps/hornets down there?
Is it possible she got stung?

Kfamr
03-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Yeah.. we have those down here but I haven't seen any inside??

Gosh i can't stop crying. She's laying on my bed but keeps lifting her head every few minutes.

Lexi_Lover
03-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Could there be a thorn or something of some sort poking her...or is there something in Nala's bed?

Poor Ki. I hope she feels better soon!

flamepony12
03-13-2005, 11:11 PM
I'm really sorry; I can tell you love your girl to pieces and care the world for her.... Have you already looked over her tail to see if it's sore/cut?

slleipnir
03-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Maybe it has something to do with the beach? You said you went today right? Sometimes that happens to jo when at the beach for a while..I duno though...get better soon ki!

Lexi_Lover
03-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Thats true! Could a crab or something have pinched or bit her? Oh, poor Ki! Could she have been poked by a shell or urchin...I'm so stupid with these things cause I don't know what you have in the waters down there.

slleipnir
03-13-2005, 11:22 PM
I was thinking the salt my be irratating, a bug bite (or sting) like a black fly or something, or a jellyfish or something....

aly
03-13-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm sure you've already inspected her paws and such, right?

I'd just keep an eye on her and see how she's doing in the morning. It could be any of the things you mentioned or it could just be some freak thing that will go away by morning. Its so hard to tell sometimes :(

I know I'm no help, but I wanted to offer my thoughts and prayers and let you know I'll be thinking of you and Kiara. Try not to panic just yet, I'm sure she'll be okay.

Kfamr
03-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I've checked every part of her.

I wish they could tell us what's going on. :(

My dad said that we're going to see how she acts in the morning and if she's still acting the same as she is tonight we'll take her to the vets, or atleast call them.

I'm so worried and can't stop crying. :(

Thank you for replying guys.

Corinna
03-13-2005, 11:33 PM
this may sound strange but how have her Bowel movents been? Constapation can be sharp pains. With hard stool

Kfamr
03-13-2005, 11:35 PM
She's had normal bowel movements.. she had just gone out before it all happened too.

I NEED to sleep but i'm afraid i'll miss something. She's asleep in Nala's bed again.

Oggyflute
03-13-2005, 11:51 PM
I really hope she comes good mate as I'm sure she will. Things might just settle down overnight. It's hard to put a finger on it, just let us know how she gets on.

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-14-2005, 04:41 AM
Poor Kiara :( Hope she is feeling better this morning. Have no clue what could be wrong with her, just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts. Update us as soon as you know something.

chocolatepuppy
03-14-2005, 04:55 AM
I'll be thinking about sweet Kiara all day at work! I hope it's nothing serious. She'll be in my prayers.

Cincy'sMom
03-14-2005, 05:03 AM
Hope Kiara is feeling better this morning.

Spot did something similar a few months ago. It was a Saturday morning and we were having bacon for breakfast. Ralph was giving some to the dogs, and Spot had been laying next to him. When Ralph told him to sit, he tried, yelped, and for the life of him would not sit. And he was the same way as Kiara is acting, tailed tucked (and Spot's tail is always wagging!).

We checked his paws and his legs and his tail, nothing seem to hurt. I took him into the vet, and it turned out he needed his anal glands drained. After that, it took a day or so, before his tail was completely upright again, and before he was completely comfortable sitting.

Keep us posted!!!

swimma253
03-14-2005, 05:18 AM
Oh Poor Kiara! :( I hope its nothing serious! Is she feeling any better?

dukedogsmom
03-14-2005, 05:56 AM
How's she doing this morning? I never would have thought about the anal glands. It could be that. Hug her for me.

fritz03
03-14-2005, 06:28 AM
Whatever it is Kiara,Fritz and I (Barry) hope you find out what it is and get better real soon.

Samantha Puppy
03-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Hi Kay... how's everything going this morning? Kiara's in my thoughts and prayers. Sam's too!

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 07:03 AM
You know what, Amy.. that makes complete sense. That would also explain why last night both Simba and Nala were sniffing her back there. :o

Kiara and I didn't get ANY sleep last night. She kept moving around so of course I was awake too. Needless to say, I stayed home today. Ack... Honestly, I didn't want to miss much of school due to the fact i'll be missing about a week of it when Amy comes down.

She's the same this morning, no yelping yet.. and I hope none at all. It kills me to hear her yelp. :( She's acting so scared. Whenever she's really scared she'll come and slowly jump up onto me and like cling onto me. She's done that so many times this morning.
It's so weird for her not to wag her tail. Whenever I talk to her she's constantly wagging her tail. My mom and I say that she's playing the drums. :p

My dad just woke up a little while ago, so we're going to wait until we're both fully awake and we're going to call the vets. I really hope whatever it is isn't too expensive since we're planning our Ohio trip here soon, but anything for lil Ki.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, everyone.

I'm wondering if I should offer Kiara some food, or if that will only make her have to poop and in more pain??

Cincy'sMom
03-14-2005, 07:33 AM
It is hard to say, about the food. If it is her anal glands, pooping may help. When things are working right, that is generally when the anal glands are emptied. If something is blocked, or if it isn't the anal glands at all, food may make it worse, or it mayhave no effect. If she is not feeling well, she may not even be interested in the food anyway.

I guess I wouldn't feed her, unless she is really begging for food, and if she does, maybe 1/2 her normal portion.

pitc9
03-14-2005, 07:44 AM
It sure sounds like that's what's going on,from what I've heard, that can smell very bad, and for the other two to be sniffing her makes more sence. The vet will have her feeling better in no time!

Keep us posted!!!

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 07:47 AM
I just gave her a little bit because my dad asked if they were hungry and she went running into her crate (She eats in her crate and normally does that after I feed the big dogs)

Simba must know she's not feeling well. While we were outside, I sat down on the edge of the pavers, and Kiara came and sat between my legs. Well, Simba, who normally just does his own thing outside, unless I have food, came up.. Gave Kiara kisses, and layed down right next to us.. and even stayed when Kiara tocuhed him. (He generally growls or gets up and walks away,)

You can tell she really wants to play. She went running after her ball but just stopped. Nala also tried getting her to play, and Ki started playing for a bit, but stopped.

This is how she's holding her tail.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/kkkaylol/ki1.jpg
Big bro giving her kisses.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/kkkaylol/k2.jpg

Jadapit
03-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Poor Kiara!:( I hope she is feeling better soon. You both will be in my thoughts.

ramanth
03-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Oh poor Kiara! :(

I couldn't think of what could be wrong, till Amy posted about the anal glands. Kia's actually ruptured and she held her tail like that too.

vinjashira
03-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Get well soon Kiara!

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Getting ready to take Ki to the vets.

I was fine all morning but now the tears just started again. I'm sure i'll be a mess in the office, although it's probably nothing serious.. ack.

Wish us luck.

Samantha Puppy
03-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Let us know what's going on as soon as you get back!!

Cincy'sMom
03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Good luck at the vets!! I keep checking to see how things are. It is so hard not to worry, but I'm sure she'll be fine :)

RobiLee
03-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Oh Kay and Kiara. I hope everything is ok. I'll be checking in later to see how the vet visit went.

Big hugs to you both....Robin

anna_66
03-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Oh Kay I'm just reading this now. I hope all goes well at the vets and it's just her anal glands like Amy said.
I'll check in a bit later and see how things went' so post as soon as you can.

Jods
03-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Hope everything goes okay. Mercedes had to get her anal glands done before. I gaged it smels so much worse then you think LOL. Hope thats all it is. Kiara will be in my thoughts!

Lexi_Lover
03-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Oh...poor Ki! :( I hope she feels better soon. Please keep us updated when you come back from the vet! I hope they can figure out what it is.

Good boy Simba. You know that your little sister mustn't be feeling well!

slleipnir
03-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Let us know how she is doing :) I hope she's better soon

ramanth
03-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Good luck at the vets. *hugs*

lizbud
03-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Kiara, hope you are feeling better soon sweetie.:) I'm going
to check back when you get home from the Vets.

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Well, we're home.

Dr. Matthews said her anal glands are completely fine.
It's her tail. She either broke her tail at the base, or sprained it. How? I have absolutely NO clue, neither do they. We didn't want to spend the money on x-rays as Dr. Matthews said that either way, the treatment is the same.

I have absolutely no clue how it happened.. as she started showing pain while she was dead asleep! She was completely fine all day yesterday.

She got an injection of Rimadyl and 100mg tablets (4 pack) to take a half of a pill twice a day.. He wants us to call back Wednesday.

When they took her back he said that she made a horse pile of doo doo.. she was so scared. When they brought her back out to me, she wagged her tail as best as she could. :( :) Here come the tears again. :( I hope my poor girl gets better soon. She can't play ball at ALL until she's fully healed. No activity. No playing with the other mutts... and if she isn't healed in time, no playing with Nebo! :(

Please send thoughts her way.. she needs to heal fast so she can get back to playing. We're going to pick up all of the toys in the house to make sure she doesn't get any ideas. Poor baby.

Thank you all so much. :( :)

Samantha Puppy
03-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Awww, poor Kiara!! I wonder how it happened?? Well, at least you have an answer (there's nothing worse than going to a vet and having them not be able figure it out). Good luck keeping her calm... She'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

When does Nebo arrive?

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks Jaime.

Nebo arrives on the 21st.. exactly in one week.

Lexi_Lover
03-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Oh, poor Ki! I hope she feels better soon, and that it heals in time! :( Like SP said, at least you got a reason for her pain. I hope you heal soon Ki.

Kay, please keep us posted on her healing:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Poor Princess:( Hope she recovers quickly!

(((HUGS)))

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Here's my lil girl on the way home from the vets.

Oh, I forgot to tell you all.. She's not so lil anymore! She weighs 50 pounds and 2 ounces. :eek: Only 8 less than Nala! :eek: :eek:

Anyways, here's a picture. She's wet because it's POURING down rain outside. She finally got a few minutes of rest. I think the injection really made her feel a bit better.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/kkkaylol/kikivets.jpg

Ginger's Mom
Poor Kiara. I just read this thread right before you got back from the vets. Broke her tail, huh? I have never heard of that. did he indicate how long he thought it would take to heal? Does she need to go back to a follow-up visit?
Poor baby girl, she will definitely be in our thoughts and prayers.

RobiLee
Oh, Kay and Kiara, I am so so sorry! My heart goes out to you both. I truly understand your feelings right now, Kay. Having had to deal with Katie's injury I know how hard it is and how bad you feel. I promise you everything will be alright. The hardest part is going to be not letting her play and romp around AND you MUST do this. Don't ease up at all! We all want this girl better as soon as possible. She has to be able to play with Nebo and all of our furkids here in Ohio. Alright now, Kay, dry up those tears and focus on being mom now. Take good care of that girl. I just love her to death.

Love and hugs....Robin

RobiLee
03-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Here's my lil girl on the way home from the vets.

Oh, I forgot to tell you all.. She's not so lil anymore! She weighs 50 pounds and 2 ounces. :eek: Only 8 less than Nala! :eek: :eek:

Anyways, here's a picture. She's wet because it's POURING down rain outside. She finally got a few minutes of rest. I think the injection really made her feel a bit better.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/kkkaylol/kikivets.jpg

Awww, Kiki....you are such a precious little girl! Tori says to tell you not too feel too bad about about being so scared that you doo dooed. She has done that a couple of times herself. ;)

Love...Robin, Alden, Katie and Tori

ParNone
03-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Something very similar happened to Murph. He was playing with Oz and fell off him and hit hard on his tail. He seemed to be fine at that time, but that night, his tail was down between his legs. He wasn't yelping or acting in pain, other then his tail position. I took him to the vet the next day and the vet said it looked fine to him, cuz Murph was even trying to wag it in that low position.

After I explained that that was not the normal position for a Cairn, he took a x-ray and sure enough his tail was fractured. Only thing he did was give Murph Rimadyl tablets. I gave those to him for a couple of days and I would say within 2-3 days, Murph was carrying his tail up and wagging it like normal. No ill effects whatsoever from it. You wouldn't even know he'd ever fractured it.

Par...

aly
03-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Sweet Kiara, I hope this week's worth of rest will heal you in time to play with your Nebo man.

Kay, did the vet say how long it could take? I have no experience with broken or sprained tails. She just rests and it heals on its own? They don't have to wrap it or anything?

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Thank you Les, that makes me feel so much better.
I hope it only lasts her a few days and she can get back to wagging that tail. It's so weird to look at her and not see or hear her tail thumping. She almost always wags her tail and carries it upright.

did he indicate how long he thought it would take to heal? Does she need to go back to a follow-up visit?

did the vet say how long it could take?

He didn't say how long it'd take. I guess it depends on how bad it is? And i'm guessing it depends on how she feels on Wednesday (he told us to call him then) whether or not she needs to go in.

She just rests and it heals on its own? They don't have to wrap it or anything?
I guess so. I've never had any experience with a broken/sprained tail either. It's at the base of her tail so I guess it wouldn't/couldn't be wrapped at all. Only thing we can do for her is give her pain reliever and make sure she stays calm.

Thank you all again. She's snoozing right now, so I guess that's a good sign. :) Last night she kept moving around and was very uncomfortable.

cubby31682
03-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Oh man! I am just seeing this thread now. I am so sorry I haven't responded sooner.

I hope Kiara is feeling better soon and I hope her tail will be better before Nebo comes to play with her.

She is still a little girl even though she doesn't weigh in as a little one. I hope you feel better to Kay! Will you please give her a big hug and a kiss for me.

{{{HUGS}}}
Katie

stacwase
03-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Sorry you've been through so much worry - too bad it wasn't just her anal glands. You could have had them drained and she'd be feeling all better. Is the Rimadyl helping?

Cincy'sMom
03-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Poor Kiara :( I wish I had been right,a nd that had just been her glands.

Hope she feels better soon!!!

Jods
03-14-2005, 12:19 PM
As you said her tail is always wagging thats probably how she did it. Its really common they wag their tail and hit something (table, chair, floor.) and injure it. I bet thats what happened. Anyways hope she gets better soon. :)

bckrazy
03-14-2005, 12:20 PM
oh no!! poor lil Kiki :( I can't imagine how tough it will be keeping her still, and away from her tennis balls... just rest lots, Kiara, I really hope you get to play with your boyfriend next week! feel better, both of you!

trayi52
03-14-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm glad to hear that you at least know it is not life threating. I'll be sending prayers to you and Kiara, for a very speedy recovery.

Willie

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I think the Rimadyl is helping very much. She's been sleeping since we got home.

Originally posted by Jods
As you said her tail is always wagging thats probably how she did it. Its really common they wag their tail and hit something (table, chair, floor.) and injure it. I bet thats what happened. Anyways hope she gets better soon. :)

I'm not sure if that's why. She had been completely asleep and she jumped up and started yelping. It's at the very base of her tail (Where her but and her tail meet) and you'd think she'd hurt it at the end if it were because of hitting it on something. Who knows.

Thank You. :)

Lexi_Lover
03-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Kay, is there a possibility that she had sat or slept or her tail. And teh weight(:p) or nails somehow caused it to do that? I'm not sure if that would be a reason...but it could.

Or she could have bumped, but never noticed the pain(since she was busy having fun and not focusing on her tail)until she was lying down.

Poor girl...hope she feels better soon, I'm glad that it heals within 2 or 3 days! :)

lizbud
03-14-2005, 12:35 PM
I'm so glad to see that Kiara has seen the Vet and has
some medicine to help her feel better. I did Google for some
answers on how this could happen because I've never seen
it before. Didn't know anything about causes or treatment.The
meds she is taking should help a lot. :) Get better soon Kiara.

When Maggie chases Smokey around in the yard, she can never
quite catch him so she always grabs his tail in her mouth to slow
him down. :eek:

pitc9
03-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Oh Poor baby girl!!! :(

I hope you are feeling better in no time!!!

*Hugs* to you Kay!!!

ChrisH
03-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Poor baby. :( I so hope she is feeling better soon. Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

{{hugs}} to you both.

dukedogsmom
03-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Hopefully she'll be back to normal in no time because she and Nebo have to play! I can't wait to see that and maybe get videos, too. I sprained Duke's tail one time when I was washing him. I am now much more careful. He was hanging his down like that, too.

luvofallhorses
03-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Poor Kiara:( (((hugs to you both))) Simba you are such a good big brother! :D

Cookiebaker
03-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Poor Kiara!!! :( I'm sitting here at work with tears in my eyes reading this. I hope she feels better and back to her normal waggy self SOON!!!

How scary for both of you! {{{Hugs!!!}

ramanth
03-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Oh my goodness! Poor thing. :(

I hope her tail heals up quickly. Owie. :(

Daisy and Delilah
03-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Get well soon beautiful, sweet Kiara!!

Terry, Daisy and Delilah

Jods
03-14-2005, 01:42 PM
OH! when you said the end I thought you ment the tip sorry. Humph no wonder why you are stumped. Hope she gets well soon.

sammy101
03-14-2005, 01:49 PM
o poor girl:( Hope she gets better soon!!

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 01:59 PM
She just got done chewing on a bone.
Poor girl is looking all over the place for a toy to play with. :( I wish I could let her.

She even tried stealing a ball out of my gift swapper's box. :(

Samantha Puppy
03-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Guess that means she's feeling better! That's a good sign!

Corinna
03-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Heres prayers to it being only sprained and it heals fast.

slleipnir
03-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Did you find out what it is?? Is she still sore?

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
Did you find out what it is?? Is she still sore?

Yes.. look on page 3 or so.
She still won't sit down, wag it, or anything... but she seems a lot more comforatable than she was before.

Buddy Blaze Lover
03-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Oh, I didn't see this until now!!! I'm so sorry Kiara!!:( I sure hope your tail heals soon, and you can play with Nebo! Get well soon, little girl!!!:(

slleipnir
03-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Sorry, Kay. I guess I missed that page completely (and I thought I was keeping up :o )

Jadapit
03-14-2005, 03:39 PM
I hope she feels better soon. I have a fear that one of these days Jada will break her tail. I have never owned a dog that wags her tail as hard as she does. It's amazing. Does Kiara beat her tail on things when she wags it?

chocolatepuppy
03-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Oh poor Kiara! :( Hugs coming your way! I hope it heals quickly. Your mommy will take good care of you Kiara.

LuckiLab03
03-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Awww.. poor girl. Feel better soon Kiara, Riley sends you lots of get well kisses!

jazzcat
03-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Aww, poor girl. I hope she feels better soon.

carole
03-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Sending Kiara a ton full of GET WELL WISHES from us all down under, and may Kiara's pain be eased and that she will be back to normal soon, and lots of HUGS for her mummy Kay.:)

Suki Wingy
03-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Feel better Kiara!
NiƱo did the same thing too. Don't worry she will probably be healed in no time, I really hope so!

anna_66
03-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Oh Kiara sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear about your poor little tail being hurt. I do hope it's only a sprain and will get better fast because I wouldn't want you to miss out on playing with Nebo and of course all our Ohio doggies:)So you make sure you rest that little tail of yours girl!

Kay I know how frusterating it can be not knowing what is wrong with them and then trying to keep calm, but I know you can do it!
I'll be thinking about your little girl and keeping her in my prayers that her tail heals soon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/grouphug.gifLove Anna, Mark, Roxey, Huney & Bon

senorita02
03-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Aww poor Kiara, i sure hope her tail heals soon , so she can play with her friends,
She is one adorable baby, i loved her after vet pic, give her some kisses and hugs from Me, Face and Rita :D

4 Dog Mother
03-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Kay, I am just reading this - I am so sorry that you had to worry all night about Kiara. It is so hard to get through a night when you know one of your kids (skin or fur) has something wrong and you don't know what it is! And even now knowing - having to keep her quiet for a few days! That is sooo hard. Especially since she will probably start feeling better but could use a couple more days of healing. Hope all goes well and she is wagging that tail just fine soon!

Soapets
03-14-2005, 05:59 PM
That happened to my dog, Oreo, in late January, which is how I found Pet Talk! I was looking for information on dog health, and this forum came up, and I posted a thread about it, and people started answering. We took Oreo to the Vet. on an emergency basis on a Sunday morning because he was crying and crying and crying whenever he pooped.

His diagnosis was a broken tail bone as well. We have no idea how it happened. He was given a shot of pain medication, and we brought some pain pills home with us to give to him. It took about 7-10 days before he started wagging his tail and getting back to his old self again.

I know how distressing it can be. Don't you just feel so bad for her?!? We hope she is getting better and that the pain pills help alleviate her pain.:(

IRescue452
03-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Poor pup, I remember when Autumn threw out her back the first time. She acted the same way and I couldn't help but cry each time she yelped. I hope this is a one time thing for her I've never had a dog break or sprain a tail cause all they have are stubs. Autumn throws out her back maybe once or twice a year since the first time but its never so bad. Feel better Kiara.

cyber-sibes
03-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Hope the pain medication is helping, how sad to break your tail, KiKi! You've just got to get better because your getting company and going on a trip sweetie! Everyone's waiting to play with you, paws crossed you heal fast!

countrycowgirl
03-14-2005, 06:47 PM
oh Kay I am so sorry I didn't see this til now!.....poor Kiara:( ...I am glad that she is feeling a little better....I hope that she recovers in time to play with Nebo...... I can only imagine how scared you were.....I am glad to hear that it is not to serious.....give that sweet girl some extra kisses from me k

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys. :)

My mom and I just went to Wal-Mart. When we got back Kiara was in her crate because my dad said that she kept pestering Nala to play. When I got home she wagged her tail (still lowered to the ground) as fast as she could. I guess these are pretty good signs that she's feeling a bit better. :)

luvofallhorses
03-14-2005, 06:56 PM
I am glad she is getting better. Give her a gentle hug for me :D

countrycowgirl
03-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys. :)

My mom and I just went to Wal-Mart. When we got back Kiara was in her crate because my dad said that she kept pestering Nala to play. When I got home she wagged her tail (still lowered to the ground) as fast as she could. I guess these are pretty good signs that she's feeling a bit better. :)

that is great to hear that kay! so glad she is feeling better

KYS
03-14-2005, 07:31 PM
So glad to hear that Kiara is doing better.

(((Hugs Kiara)))

*LabLoverKEB*
03-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Kay you have got to be the best doggy mama there is! you care and love sooooo much for those sweethearts!

I'm SO relieved to hear it's nothing too serious with lil Ki. She's such a gorgous one. Lots of love and prayers, Sarah and Sadie girl.

wolf_Q
03-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Oh my, poor Kiara!! :( That is such a weird thing to happen...I hope it's just sprained and not broken. Get feeling better soon Kiara!

delidog
03-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Oh Poor Kiara!!

I just saw this Kay!!
I hope that she is all healed soon....

Give her a Hug & a Treat from me and Hobo!!

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

I'm so upset with my friend. :( I was telling him why I stayed home from school today (the Kiara story) and all he had to say was "You missed F-CAT" .. ... .. . We had FCAT testing today, a state wide comprehension test. It was a "practice" Science portion.
I said "Well, My dog was in pain and so not so important to me"...
His response? "The F-cat is pretty important."

Not a single "I hope she's okay".."I hope she feels better." .. nothing.

Nothing but bickering at me for missing a test. :( I'm very disappointed. He's a very nice kid and I love him dearly but this upset me so much. I thought he'd understand how much my baby means to me, but no, evidently a test is more important. :(

Soapets
03-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Some people just don't understand how important our pets are to us. But WE on PT understand, and I think it's great how caring you are, and how much you love your dog.:)

lute
03-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

I'm so upset with my friend. :( I was telling him why I stayed home from school today (the Kiara story) and all he had to say was "You missed F-CAT" .. ... .. . We had FCAT testing today, a state wide comprehension test. It was a "practice" Science portion.
I said "Well, My dog was in pain and so not so important to me"...
His response? "The F-cat is pretty important."

Not a single "I hope she's okay".."I hope she feels better." .. nothing.

Nothing but bickering at me for missing a test. :( I'm very disappointed. He's a very nice kid and I love him dearly but this upset me so much. I thought he'd understand how much my baby means to me, but no, evidently a test is more important. :(
your friend probably has no idea how much you care for your puppers. don't take it too hard. lots of my friends have told me i'm "too dog crazy" and that i need to "give THEM some time instead of my dogs"

Crikit
03-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Kay sorry to hear about Kiara but glad to hear she's sort of starting to feel better.

Now Kiara you best get better before Bebo comes for a visit, after all you wanna be able to play with the goofy husky boy don't you?

Kfamr
03-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Thanks again guys..

One thing that i'm really worried about is that she hasn't pooped at all since the vets, and she's ate dinner and had a few treats. What should I do about that, if anything?

Soapets
03-14-2005, 09:38 PM
When Oreo was having those kinds of problems about a month ago, the Vet told us to mix a little pumpkin pie filling in to his food, and it would act kind of like a laxative, so the stools would be softer. The Vet said if we didn't want to do that, we could give him some canned dogfood. He usually eats only dry dog food.

K9karen
03-15-2005, 12:46 AM
Oh Kay, I'm so sorry I just saw this thread. Poor, sweet little Kiki (my nickname namesake). It made my heart thump through my chest. I'm just glad it's not extremely serious and that precious baby is attempting a waggie now and then. Aw, and she wants to play so badly too. Sore bums are no fun at all. But I did love the fact that her big brother sensed her pain and gave her kisses, How adorable is that? What a good, loving big brother (reminds me of my human one, ignores me til I'm sick). I hope little pumpkin is better by the time Nebo comes to play. I also guess that since she made elephant poop at the vet, she has to "fill up" again. I wouldn't worry, I'm sure nature will call when it's time. Well, I'm sure wagging MY butt that Kiki is feeling better! And what can I say about your friend? In my book, nothing in this world precedes the care of my dog. I took a month off from work when Cody had ACL surgery and even told them to fire me if need be, but even my boss (the CEO)sent Cody a get well card. Just remember, not everyone believes or feels how we all do about our pets. You just have to pity them, because WE all have "The gift". I love you and hope you're more relaxed and feeling better too.

Oggyflute
03-15-2005, 12:46 AM
It must be somewhat of a relief to know what the problem is. Hope she get better real soon.:)

popcornbird
03-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Poor Kiara! :( Hope she feels better soon!

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-15-2005, 05:11 AM
As I am almost 80 % on Cats General, I didn't see this thread about Kiara...:( . I'm so sorry to hear about the hurt tail. I am glad that you found out what was wrong. It is hard hey when you see your pet in pain, but you just don't get what's wrong...:( . I had same thing with Sydney when he was lethargic all the time...:(
Hey Kia, rest as much as your mommy says, and in no time you will be able to waggle and play as much as you want!!

Kfamr
03-15-2005, 05:37 AM
Just thought i'd update you all..
She had a very successful morning potty - as well as a breakfast with her yucky pill in it! :)

I was talking to her earlier and she was wagging her tail as best as she could, now I have to leave her to go to school. :(

pitc9
03-15-2005, 07:33 AM
Yippeee for the good potty!!!!

Glad to hear she's on her way to feeling better!!!

Cataholic
03-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Wow, I just read this. I am so sorry to hear that Kiara's happy meter is on the fritz. Glad to hear the rimidaly is starting to kick in.

Get well soon, Mrs. Tail!

ramanth
03-15-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm glad she had a good potty session and is wagging her tail a little. I'm sure she'll be excited to see you when you get home from school. :D

Jods
03-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Glad shes feeling a bit better:) Hopefully more improvements when you get home from school. :)

Kfamr
03-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Thank you guys again.

When I got home from school she wagged anbd wagged her tail, still lowered, but it was going! My dad said she had been trying to run around all day. Poor baby.

I just got in from taking pictures of them all. I let Kiara hold her ball, but didn't let her run around with it or throw it for her. She was happy just chomping her teeth down on it for a while. :) She had been looking all over for it.

wolf_Q
03-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Sounds like Kiara's tail must be feeling better! I hope she'll be able and wag it full speed and play soon, I know she must really miss playing fetch!

Kfamr
03-15-2005, 02:13 PM
This was the look I got right after I gave her ball. ;)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/kkkaylol/8.jpg

Samantha Puppy
03-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Oh man, what torture. I remember having to try and keep Samantha quiet after her spaying. She'd give me "those eyes" and man, I felt like the worst mommy in the world for not taking the ball/toy and playing with her!

dappledoxie
03-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Poor Kiara! I remember when Rebel sprained his tail, owch! I hope she gets better soon! -hugs Kiara-

countrycowgirl
03-15-2005, 03:07 PM
awww kiara you have the sweetest pitiful eyes!!......I am glad to hear that you are doing better

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-15-2005, 03:17 PM
That is such a sweet pic of Kiara, Kay!! Oh my, she has such sweet eyes :)

Kfamr
03-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys.

She's literally going crazy. She keeps looking around the house whining and whining. She wants to play ball so bad. :( I think i'm going to bring her in my room and just let her play with her ball in here. That way she won't have much room to move around and will be able to play with her ball without too much activity.

Cincy'sMom
03-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Glad Kiara is feelingbetter. It's so hard keeping them quiet, when they want so bad to play!!!

chocolatepuppy
03-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Kay I feel your pain.:( I know what it's like keeping a pup quiet, with both of mine. I could be a professional by now! I know Kiara's younger than Lacey but she's very hyper. It was tough enough keeping her quiet after her leg surgeries but still today she's on leash in her fenced in yard! It breaks my heart knowing she wants to play(and I have cried about it many times) but I know I have to be strong. I tell Lacey everytime I take her out how much longer she has until she'll be loose!:D
I know you can get through this, it will pass quickly! {hugs} to Kiara

Kfamr
03-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Poor Nala wants to play so bad. So does Kiara. :(
They both just got new collars.. they look so pretty. :)

micki76
03-15-2005, 08:39 PM
I just saw this, and I'm glad it's nothing too serious. of course I'm sure Kiara thinks it's a big deal, she must have been in serious pain. :(

It's so hard to keep them from playing! I hated it any time I had to keep anyone confined. Do you crate her at all? If so, I'd keep her in there a good bit and then take her for a looonnggg walk a couple or three times a day. It may help to wear her out. Also, fill & freeze a Kong with PB, apples, puppy cookie bits and even yogurt, it will help keep her mentally stimulated & it lasts a lot longer when frozen. :) For more mental stimulation you can also take her favorite toy or treat and place it under a coffee can or clear plastic glass and see how long it takes her to get it out. (Chester likes this one, but he's smart and gets it right out) I've also placed his fave toys under a laundry basket. He goes nuts trying to get it out. Millie has a harder time with removing things than he does, so it keeps her going a bit longer. LOL

Hope she feels better soon!

Kona & Oreo's mom
03-15-2005, 08:54 PM
I'm sure glad that Kiara's feeling better. Her wanting to play is a good sign!

Oreo sprained her tail once, the first time she had ever swam at the beach. Her vet said that she sprained it right at the base, probably from using those swimming muscles for the first time! Within a few days, she was all better.

I hope Kiara continues to improve. Good luck!

anna_66
03-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Well I'm glad to hear that she's feeling much better, but I hate it that she and Nala can't play or that she can't play with her ball. It must be sheer torture for her:(

Hugs and kisses to you sweet Kiara

Kevin Farmer
03-15-2005, 09:35 PM
:D :D :D glad to hear she's feeling better....and about 'keeping her quiet?'...ARE THEY KIDDING:eek: ...how hard is that?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .......hugs and soggy kisses

Kfamr
03-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys.

Kona & Oreo's mom - I think that's probably the same that happened to Kiara. Although she has been to the beach quite a few times already, it still is rather new to her. I also think maybe the waves had an effect too, it was rather wavey.. but she didn't want to stop at all!!

Originally posted by Kevin Farmer
:D :D :D glad to hear she's feeling better....and about 'keeping her quiet?'...ARE THEY KIDDING:eek: ...how hard is that?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .......hugs and soggy kisses

I know, right! It's like when I first brought her home, they told me to keep her calm and quiet. Uh.. Lets see, 2 dogs at home already, 1 only a bit over a year old, other still playful as can be at 6 (7 now)... HOW was I supposed to keep them calm!?!?

I didn't. :o Thank gosh the "newness" is long gone, but they still go crazy over her whenever she walks in the door, and completrly ignore me. :rolleyes:

Kfamr
03-16-2005, 04:26 PM
http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=74180

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Kiara and I want to give a huge, huge, huge thanks to everyone who thought of us. :D

tatsxxx11
03-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Awww, it's SO wonderful to see you holding your tail proudly and SO high!:) We're all so happy you're doing so well, sweet Kiara baby girl! Hugs and kisses to you!

Vette
03-17-2005, 01:22 AM
Ah good to hear shes doing better. :D

sorry that i found this thread a wee bit too late.. i was going to suggest that maybe it was that little tendon thingy that attches to their knee,, is sometimes known to pop out. espically after jump/running around.

Dixieland Dancer
03-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Kay, I'm sorry I didn't see this until now. The condition Kiara has is known as limber tail or cold tail. Dixie had this same thing happen to her several times when she was younger after long exhuberant exposure to swimming. It usually happens in colder water but it happened once from warmer water. In all cases it was after she had swam exerting lots of energy. Remember that dogs use their tails extensively as a rudder when swimming so the tail gets a major workout swimming.

My vet believes it is a mild sprain and informed me that sprains can sometimes be even more painful than breaks. He said he usually sees this in dogs with a thicker base. If you do some searches on the net, I'm sure you can find more information.

In Dixie's case she couldn't even sit without pain. She was most comfortable laying and it was very sad to see her tail just hanging there. :( She normally got a shot of cortisone to relieve the pain and reduce the swelling and then after about a week the tail was somewhat back to normal. After two weeks it is completely healed. It is frightening though because it isn't common and it gives no indication of what is wrong except the tail is just limp and the dog is in a lot of pain.

Please give Kiara a {{{{{BIG HUG}}}}} from me. She will be in our thoughts for a quick and complete recovery.

Candy