PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for non-toxic weed and ant killer.

auggie
03-13-2005, 07:50 AM
My backyard is overgrown with dandelions and there are a couple of ant mounts.
Has anyone tried any non-toxic remedy that really works?
I’ll appreciate any suggestions.

king2005
03-13-2005, 08:32 PM
I can only help with the ants.

Get a bucket & fillt it waith warm water (not too hot or u'll kill the grass), add alot of soap & make bubbly. Pour it on the ant hills & repeat in a few days to let the grass heal.

Do this for a few weeks & u'll kill off a large part of the hill for a long time, if not the whole summer. But they'll be back next year.

its only a temp thing, but its non-toxic to pets & other animals & kids.

I did it every year & it worked for me. But my hills took up the whole backyard, so it took all day to treat the yard & since I didn't have anymore grass (didn't take care of it, didn't really care) I used hot water (the ants use to attack my dog & he was so scared to go in they yard

wolfsoul
03-13-2005, 09:11 PM
I've read that you can steep lemon juice overnight and then spray it on the lawn. Apparently it makes a good natural pesticide. Not sure what it would do for dandelions though.

Sevens
03-13-2005, 09:12 PM
My ant problem was indoors. I found a pet safe way to get rid of them.

It's this company that uses peppermint oil to kill them. I had no idea that peppermint could kill ants. I was very happy with their ant spray.

Here's a link to their page. It's supposed to be natural earth/pet friendly products to kill pests.

Safer Brand/Victor Poison Free (http://www.saferbrand.com/ant_home.htm#Aerosol)

As for the dandelions, I think they may have a pet safe weed killer as well.

Good luck!:)