PDA

View Full Version : Music And Your Pets!

Rosey
09-29-2001, 01:10 AM
Hi All!
I was just curious if anyone plays music for their pets as I heard it was relaxing for them and they seem to like it!
I leave some mellow music on not loud to hurt their ears but just enough that they can hear it and myself included! I was thinking about it today and wondered if any one did the same or am I a little weird.
I donn't think it would have any bad effects?
What do you think? :confused: Rosey

aly
09-29-2001, 01:30 AM
I think music is great for my dogs since they both have seperation anxiety. My cat doesn't seem to care. I always leave on either new age, soul, or classical music playing softly when I'm not home. I also play it at night when we all go to sleep. So when they listen to it during the day while I'm gone, its easier for them to sleep.

Eudora
09-29-2001, 05:11 AM
That's a good idea! Tanya gets a little bored when I have no time to play and she doesn't like to play with my bro and sis. Maybe music will keep her occupied? I'll see if I can turn her into a BSB fan... (joke!)

KayAnn
09-29-2001, 09:09 AM
POOR TANYA!!!! dont torture her with BSB!!!!!!! Treat her to something good like... NELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jackiesdaisy1935
09-29-2001, 09:34 AM
Sorry KayAnn, the Schnauzers don't like "Nelly" when we leave we also put on classical soothing music. They are not as hip as Simba. :D
By the way KayAnn, the Chargers in season are undefeated, how about Tampa Bay?
Jackie

Eudora
09-30-2001, 05:08 AM
Oh yeah--- getting back to you all, Tanya/Cookie LOVES the Backstreet Boys!! She also likes Mozart, for some reason.

KayAnn
09-30-2001, 09:15 AM
Uhm, maybe you should get Tanya checked at the vet! hehehehehe Listening to back street boys can lead to serious brain problems! As well as britney spears n sync christina aguilera 98 degrees and the list goes on.. follow theese directions if you find your self listening to the people above: Smack yourself upside the head say to yourself " What the heck am i listening to?!?!" the proceed to find the nearest Nelly cd and listen to his wonderful rhymes! hehehehe

Rosey
09-30-2001, 10:58 AM
I'm the New Country Music girl myself :eek:
Or all the oldies are great too!
That may bring out my age Oh no! :o :o

KayAnn
09-30-2001, 12:38 PM
well see.. i like country and oldies and all kinds of music.. just not the bsb and n SUCK and all thoose other... its animal cruelty to make your pets listen to that! ;)

Albea
10-01-2001, 12:24 PM
She also likes Mozart, for some reason.
Eudora: Cookie likes Mozart because she's a pup with very good taste, as any Golden should be :p

Logan
10-01-2001, 01:58 PM
LOL!! I won't have to get into any musical "wars" here. We always turn on the radio to National Public Radio when we're gone for long periods of time! I think Mimi and Butter could care less, but my petsitter seems to think it helps to keep Honey and Lilly from getting into too much trouble! :) I'm not sure if that's true...but we didn't lose any more hamsters while we were away last time! :D

purrley
10-01-2001, 02:13 PM
I love Celion Dion - but when I put her CD on and try and sing like her - my cats get right in my face, try and swat me on the side of the head. To me - I sound just like her :D :D

purrley
10-01-2001, 02:31 PM
UMMMMMM at the risk of appearing completely stupid - is that an opera you're referring to???? :o

purrley
10-01-2001, 02:54 PM
AHHH it would not doubt - but when I sing Dion and the Bellmonts rendition of "Blue Moon" - that does the trick :D :D :D

KayAnn
10-01-2001, 04:47 PM
I LOVE Alanis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still think Nelly is the best for and pet to listen to!! Maybe for the dogs try playin "Bow Wow" by Lil Bow Wow!.. the lyrics are like this bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay were my dogs at bark with me now heheheheheheheheeehehehehehe!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-02-2001, 08:28 AM
When greyhounds are being raised and living at the tracks, they have music playing 24 hours a day! So, when people first adopt a greyhound, we tell them that it might lessen the separartion anxiety problems if they leav a radio or TV on when they leave the dog. We did that with Paula when we first got her, but stopped it when we got Buddy. We aren't big music fans, so we rarely have the radio on in the house.
However, the dogs love being sung to! I sing TERRIBLY and yet they love it when I lay down next to them and sing a soft song. Usually I just make up my own words and put it to a lulaby-type melody.

cr7clark
10-03-2001, 11:30 AM
Bo doesn't pay any attention to any kind of music we play, be it classical, rock or bluegrass. But she does enjoy watching television with us, she'll actually look at the screen and her ears wiggle when she sees or hears something interesting. She's a better sport than me, she actually watches the commercials! :)

kobieeli
10-03-2001, 11:50 AM
3-Greys,
Why is music played 24/7 for greyhounds at racetracks? That's so interesting!

Our dogs seem oblivious to music, but they do enjoy TV! Because of our energy crisis here in California, though, we don't leave the TV or other entertainment stuff on when we leave the house, so K & E have to just entertain themselves... :eek:

purrley
10-03-2001, 12:16 PM
I don't know beans about dogs since I havent owned one since I was 11 - but when I see these dogs howl when someone sings to them or bark when music is played - are they really enjoying it or does it hurt their ears? I used to live right by a fire station and when the whistle went off all the dogs in the neighborhood would howl - I suspected that was hurting their ears. Don't high pitched sounds usually hurt a dog's ears since their hearing is so keen?

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-04-2001, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by kobieeli:
<STRONG>3-Greys,
Why is music played 24/7 for greyhounds at racetracks? That's so interesting!</STRONG>

I think it's done mainly to create a constant background noise. When there's hundreds of dogs living in rows of crates at a track, it is noisy round the clock. So, the backgraound music kind of drones out the doggy noises. Also, if there's a strange noise outside or inside the kennels, then the dogs are less likely to hear it over the music; for example, if there's people approaching a part of the kennel, the dogs in that area will be less likely to hear them coming, and wake up and throw a fit. Different kennel managers choose different types of music. Most have soft rock or talk radio, but I've heard of at least one that played hard rock round the clock!

kobieeli
10-04-2001, 01:40 PM
Thanks--I learned something new today! :)

AdoreMyDogs
10-05-2001, 06:15 AM
I have never noticed that any of my dogs like one certain types of music better then others but some of you may know that I had this Goffins cockatoo named Pica (which I sadly had to find another home for due to blasted allergies) anyway, my brother one day brought home this CD of a band called "Squirrel Nut Zippers". They are a very upbeat and kind of big bandy. When Pica first heard the song called "Hell" she began to dance the most endearing dance and she continued dancing throughout the entire song. She was on the floor, and she was bopping her head, she was moving her tail feathers, her wings and her whole feather body to the beat. It was one of the best memories I have of that precious bird. When we needed a laugh we played that song for her and she had an absolute blast dancing to it :)

Eudora
10-12-2001, 08:59 AM
Hey!! Tanya/Cookie is a perfectly normal dog and BSN rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everyone's entitled to their music preferences and Tanya/Cookie hates Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera or A! or 98 degrees. She'll howl if their songs come on the radio.

Dixieland Dancer
10-12-2001, 10:25 AM
All my dogs come and lay under the piano when I play! It is usually either classical or contemporary christian music being played. However, when I play my clarinet they are nowhere to be found. Dusty still hasn't learned not to run so he sits there and paws his ears. Eventually he has enough and leaves.

I also sing to my dogs. I have a soprano voice so when I get too high they cock their head from side to side and look at me as if I'm weird! I go higher than normal just to watch them do this. LOL

We don't do too much radio or such so when I'm not home, they need to entertain themselves and they do that just fine :eek:

TheAntiPam
10-12-2001, 03:18 PM
Ah Dixie, that sounds like heaven - having your pups lounging nearby while you play. I'd love to say that happens at my house, but I don't have a piano, and I don't have any dogs. Oh well! :D

Daisy's Mom
10-12-2001, 07:33 PM
I am a singer and Daisy is my best audience! Before I have to song a solo or something like that, I practice to her. She won't laugh (or even notice!) if I mess up, and she will still love me no matter what afterwards! Singing to her always calms both of us down. As for listening to other kinds of music, she doesn't really like it. She pays no attention to it actually. She never has... except once! I know I have posted this story before but I just love it so here it is again, hehe! Last Christmas, Mom and I were watching a Charlotte Church concert on TV and Daisy was napping on the couch next to us. Suddenly Charlotte started singing and Daisy woke up and perked her ears up. She listened intently the whole show! We thought it was cute since she never cares about music, and then later we asked her to howl for us, because howling on command is one of her few tricks :) Now, Basset Hound howls are verrrry looow... and Daisy let out the highest howl I have ever heard! She was trying to sing opera like Charlotte Church! Mom and I were hysterical!

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: Daisy's Mom ]

Eudora
10-12-2001, 11:17 PM
I play the piano and Cookie is my best audience! Whenever I make a mistake, she'll whine and pull my pant leg. Then when I play correctly, she'll lick me. She's invaluable for practising with!!

tatsxxx11
10-13-2001, 06:31 AM
My guinea pig, Squeekers, loves music of all kinds; chimes, computer prompt noises, anything lyrical! He sits on my lap for hours with music playing. When he is alone during the day, I keep the radio on for him. His favorites are The Back Street Boys, anything with 3 part harmony and the sound of my dogs barking. Well, I guess it's music to HIS EARS!!! :D

Eudora
10-13-2001, 09:22 AM
You go Squeeekers!!! You should meet Cookie! Both of you love BSB!! lovely guinea piggy.....

Former User
10-19-2001, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by purrley:
<STRONG>I love Celion Dion - but when I put her CD on and try and sing like her - my cats get right in my face, try and swat me on the side of the head. To me - I sound just like her :D :D</STRONG>

LOL LOL... been there, done that... except that Casper and Kitty mostly just stare at me, and I swear I can hear them thinking, "why don't you just shut up already"
:D
I'd like to think I CAN sing, but apparentely, I can't... :eek:

Eudora
11-03-2001, 10:11 PM
Ahh... maybe it's a matter of personal taste.

Former User
11-04-2001, 11:01 AM
Hmm.... Eudora, could be...but then again, my dog (now at a rainbow bridge), didn't appreciate my signing either, he always ran away :( must be me then and my voice... :eek: ;)