PDA

View Full Version : Rats

dirtyrats
03-13-2005, 01:43 AM
HI im new here just wondered how many ppl like rats i have 13..

2 that are over a foot and a half long. i bought one of the big ones last sunday from a petshop because the owner kept this fully grown/overweight female rat in a small foot square tank and i felt sorry for it. yet im glad i did "rescue" this little rat cos shes a beauty she very friendly and i think shes great but due to the bordom of being in that petshop she has a skin problem on her back from scratching..................

but anyway she should b happy now she is in a cage with my first rat i bought bout a yr ago called roland they have a big rabbit cage bout 3x2 ft so they have plenty of room..

also i am thinking of starting up a rat rescue centre although it would only be a small one as i have little room (my parents house) but any info or tips on how i could do this would b much appreciated...... oh and is their any1 here from the UK or just me LOL

wolfsoul
03-13-2005, 01:51 AM
Hi, welcome to PT. I have two rats named Oliver and Tobias. Oliver is a velveteen agouti Irish and Tobias is a satin seal point siamese. One day I would like to have a reputable rattery and rescue. :) Congrats on your new addition --- though you really should have quarantined her. Having 13 rats I would imagine you have done enough research to know the deadly diseases that pet store rats can pass on to your other rats. Please don't disregard this sad fact. Hopefully you'll remember this next time! It's better to be safe than sorry.

manda_moo87
03-13-2005, 01:54 AM
Hello, and welcome to Pet Talk!

I don't own any rats, however I adore them and am hoping to get some in the coming years. Unfortunatly my Mom isn't a 'rat lover' so won't allow me to get any...

We'd love to see pictures of your ratties!

dirtyrats
03-13-2005, 02:00 AM
thanks i try and get some on here how do i post em???

and thanks for the advice mand although i never had problems yet i try b careful anyway but its ike when books say feed so many grammes a day and wot i throw food in as when i've had gerbils, russian hamster, mice, guinea pigs, still got rabbits, budgies, cockatiels, a dog, lovebirds, canaries and couple of finches hehehehe my house is like a zoo

Jods
03-13-2005, 07:35 AM
There is people here from UK as well. First off welcome to PT. I have three beautiful baby rats Dolly, Paisley, and Lilli. Whenever I have rat questions I go to www.goosemoose.com they are the biggest rat forum on the net. They will help you out tremendiously. They helped me. They also have a chat room there where you can personally ask the people questions. So go ahead and check it out.

dirtyrats
03-13-2005, 09:31 AM
thanks for the help ppl i go check the link jods cheers mate

but can anyone tell me how i put pictures on the site as siggys or avatars??? than u can all see my rats hehehe

buckner
03-13-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Hi, welcome to PT. I have two rats named Oliver and Tobias. Oliver is a velveteen agouti Irish and Tobias is a satin seal point siamese. One day I would like to have a reputable rattery and rescue. :) Congrats on your new addition --- though you really should have quarantined her. Having 13 rats I would imagine you have done enough research to know the deadly diseases that pet store rats can pass on to your other rats. Please don't disregard this sad fact. Hopefully you'll remember this next time! It's better to be safe than sorry.
Fortunately, people in the UK don't have SDA and other such deadly viruses that we have here in the States. Therefore, quarantine isn't necessary, like it is here. However, introductions are. I'm jealous, but hey, that's life.

EssTer
03-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Hello and welcome to PT :D

At the moment I dont have any ratties but I will be getting two ratty females (one blue and other agouti) in about 2 weeks....

I think you should post some pics of your ratties :D

wolfsoul
03-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by buckner
Fortunately, people in the UK don't have SDA and other such deadly viruses that we have here in the States. Therefore, quarantine isn't necessary, like it is here. However, introductions are. I'm jealous, but hey, that's life.
Actually that is not true -- They have every virus that the US does --- it's just that for some reason there is not as big a risk. It is the same in some states; Some states have the exact risk level the UK has. No one is quite sure why. It is probably because any rats going to the UK have to undergo an intensive 6 month quarantine. Either way, no matter where you are, there is a risk and all rats should be quarantined.

animal_rescue
03-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Welcome to PT!:D
I used to have 4 rats but sadly they all passed away from cancer. My first rat was a russian blue, named Blue. My second was a curly coated named Cotton. My third and fourth were mixes named Candy and Vanilla. I hope to get more this summer though.

Desert Arabian
03-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! I currently have two young does named Eloise/Ellie and Sophie. Ellie is a rex, so her fur is "wooly" and her whiskers are curly, hehe, makes her look extra cute. Here is a picture of them:

http://members.aol.com/DesertArabian87/e.JPG
^ Ellie doesn't look too rex-like in this picture for some reason:(
http://members.aol.com/DesertArabian87/s.JPG
^ Sophie LOVES the camera!

I've had a couple of ratties over the past 5 years, these are my ratties who have traveled to the Rainbow Bridge:

Oreo- black hooded; Punkin's mom
Punkin- black hooded
Skittles- Russian blue berkshire rex; Peanut's mom
Peanut- dove veriagated rex
Nugget- agouti berkshire; Sweet Pea's mom
Sweet Pea- agouti berkshire
Chloe- agouti hooded; Daisy's sister
Daisy- agouti hooded
Fred- black striped roan dumbo; Oscar's brother
Oscar- black striped roan dumbo
Suzie- black hooded
Violette- American blue satain berkshire; Phoebe's mom
Phoebe- Black silvered satain berkshire

I miss them all terribly. :(

petslover
03-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Hey! Welcome to the Board. Wow, 13 rats.. Thats alot. I have two rats. Stewart and Oreo. Actually, I just bought a bigger cage to put both of them in. They seem happy to each other. I love my rats.

luckies4me
03-13-2005, 11:48 PM

In England things such as SDA and Sendai are pretty much nil. ;)

luckies4me
03-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Just wanted to say welcome to Pet Talk. I too own rats, as well as run a Rattery. You can visit my website here:

www.RompingRattiesRattery.com :)

It's a work in progress at the time. :p

wolfsoul
03-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
In England things such as SDA and Sendai are pretty much nil. ;)

I know, but...

While we do have these viruses in the UK, they do not seem to be as destructive to our ratteries, maybe we have different strains or our rats may have better immune systems, but that doesn’t mean we should be complacent about whether we quarantine our rats or not.
http://www.ratz.co.uk/quarantine.html

The risk my not be as high in the UK, but I still think quaratine is important.

luckies4me
03-13-2005, 11:56 PM
I know, but...

http://www.ratz.co.uk/quarantine.html

The risk my not be as high in the UK, but I still think quaratine is important.

True, I was just pointing out that they do not have to worry as much as we do. It's VERY VERY rare. Trust me, I know a LOT of breeders in the UK, having friends just imported some rats from there. ;)

CathyBogart
03-14-2005, 01:10 AM
Hey Cass, when are you going to start shipping rats? I want one of your high white babies!! :D :p

Uabassoon
03-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Hey Cass, when are you going to start shipping rats? I want one of your high white babies!! :D :p

Or you could just drive down to the CA meeting this summer like I'm doing to get some ratties :p I'm hopefully adopting two from Cass this summer.

luckies4me
03-14-2005, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by WolfChan

I'd ship to you whenever. For friends I make ...wait, I can just drive them to you LOL. I'm always up for a road trip. ;) I'm planning a long coated high white litter in a few months too. :D