PDA

View Full Version : Sibling rivalry

CalliesMom
03-12-2005, 02:20 PM
I've had Shadow and Whisper for almost five years now and as they've gotten older the sibling rivalry has gotten worse. He attacks her several times throughout the day/night and she always has to run to where I am to "save" her. It got so bad the other night I had close the door to our bedroom to keep him off her.

I love my Whisper boy and I hate the idea of him afraid of me but I'm always yelling at him, squirting him with water, chasing him out of whatever room I'm in if she runs to be rescued. He's so sweet to Callie and everyone else and I know he is just trying to show his dominance over his sister but I'm beyond irritated at this point.

It's also not fair to Shadow as she is always having to be kept enclosed in whatever room I'm in to get him away from her. She does try to attack him but isn't very successful as he always ends up chasing her right back. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you have any suggestions. I've tried the water squirting, keeping them seperated, whatever and would just like a way to remedy the situation. Shadow should not have to be scared to walk around in her own house. :(

sirrahbed
03-12-2005, 02:27 PM
:( Oh!! I wish I had some advice for you!! I am sure some folks here will be able to help, though. Poor Shadow and poor YOU!! (((((HUGS))))))

catnapper
03-12-2005, 02:31 PM
I too wish I had advice, since the same exact scenario is going on in my house between Pouncer and Abby... only Abby runs to me to be saved. I save her. Then she runs back to slap Pouncer, as if to say "nanny nanny, mommy protected meeeee". Then the whole chase begins again, complete to me saving her. :rolleyes:

catcrazylady
03-12-2005, 03:25 PM
The only thing I can suggest is Rescue Remedy or the Feliway plugins. Everyone here that uses them swears they work great. Maybe that would help relieve some of the tension. I have never used them but there are plenty of people here who do and can give you lots more advice.

Nawtee Brother!!;)

CalliesMom
03-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks CCL. I had thought of that but wasn't sure if it was worth the money but if so many people like it, I'll have to go out and purchase some. Anything to let me sleep through the night and not be woken by Shadow's screeches. :(

catcrazylady
03-12-2005, 03:36 PM
I know Jazzcat Lori uses Feliway for Ripley and I think Jan uses Rescue Remedy a lot too. There are others but I can't think of them right off the top of my head.

Feliway is expensive but it is supposed to be good stuff. Hopefully some of the others will kick in here and will be able to tell you more about it.

jazzcat
03-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Yes, I recommend Feliway. You can by the plug-in or you can buy a bottle of spray. If you are deligent about spraying regularly save the money and just by the spray but if you think you will forget then I recommend the plug-ins. I use both but often forget to use the spray.

It has helped Ripley deal with all the new kitties we have introduced over the past three years. He was an only cat for 10 1/2 years so bringing in Jazz in 2002, Scout in 2003 and now R&R in 2004 has been stressful for everyone. I have noticed that when the plug ins are going everyone is much more mellow and less fighting. Right now I'm not using any but need to since Ripley has been sick.

I've been buying mine here pfd (http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/petproducts.asp?mscssid=FVH46AXAJ3P09JT900BCCNJNXM PQ3GUC) since they have free shipping but I just noticed the price has gone up so I will try this place feliway (http://www.petsuppliesdelivered.com/search_products.cfm?x=42&y=18&search=Feliway) that rosethecopycat recommended in sirrahbed's thread.

catmandu
03-12-2005, 07:16 PM
I have never really had,that at the Found Cat Hotel,happily,and even the rush,of Scrappy 2,into the Hotel,only warranted,some sniffs,no growls,or hisses.I know,that must be frustrating,with the Two Cats,not being Friends,and you,want them,to get along,so much,Feliway?

CalliesMom
03-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks JazzCat--I'll check those out.

krazyaboutkatz
03-13-2005, 01:55 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that Whisper is so aggressive towards Shadow.:( Hopefully the feliway will help you.
I have a similar problem with Storm and Cirrus and have the feliway spray but I rarely use it. When I squirted Storm with water, this seemed to make it worse. Now I just yell at Storm and put him in my room for a time out. Sometimes this helps and sometimes it doesn't. I've learned to accept the fact that they'll never like each other.:(